- advertisement -

13 y/o daughter is type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lysa916, Apr 29, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

D is an imposition. An unwelcome guest that will not leave. It does not take a vacation.

You, however, are the mom. You will win.

If you ask what people do in a specific situation you will get tons of useful tips from people who have been dealing with D for a long time.

Just remember on outdoorsy summertime kind of trips that insulin should not get hot, and it should not be allowed to get near freezing either in a cooler. It will lose its effectiveness. People swear by products by this company to keep the insulin at the right temperature using evaporative cooling

http://frioinsulincoolingcase.com

But I am sure there are a million (less expensive) other ways.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You should be optimistic. This is a manageable disease. It's a pain in the ass at times, frustrating and involves more planning than you might normally do, but it is manageable. Yes, there are a lot of threads here about problems but that is mainly because most people come here looking for help with problems. As for carrying supplies there are many solutions to accomplish that. Do some research and find the one that works best for your daughter. It is doable. If you are going to a park or on a trip, plan ahead. Call the establishment and find out their rules. It is doable. As for school trips, talk with the school staff, nurse , etc. Make sure everyone is on the same page and they have the tools to help your daughter to best manage her diabetes. It is doable.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter did the DC/Philly/New York trip about 8 months after diagnosis. It wasn't a school sponsored trip so there was no nurse etc. She was fine and had a blast. I just put extra supplies and snacks in her suitcase. We're out and about a lot of the time. We've arrived at a destination 90 miles away to find out she's got one test strip, things like that. You just learn to kind of wing things if you need to. We try to check supplies before we leave the house but it happens that things get forgotten. It just becomes another checklist in your head before you leave the house like, did I turn off the lights, do I have my keys, etc.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can assure you we aren't all hermits. My kid is also "out and about" - she's traveled as far as a remote (accessible only by bush plane) South African game park with D and lived to tell about it. :wink:

You just don't "forget" your critical supplies. And we all do a lot of contingency planning and anticipating potential gaps or events that might make for an emergency. We stock our purses, outfit the glovebox of the car, stash supplies in school classrooms and the like. Believe me, it just becomes second nature and you just do it because that's the new normal.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Be optimistic! You have good reason to be, because you will manage it,and life will find a rhythm again. Try not to think about the whole, just deal with today, maybe tomorrow, the next step, not the next year. Do the next right thing, then the next and the next. Ask questions, get advice. Will you make mistakes? Probably, we all have. If you started a thread of all the really stupid mistakes, every single one of us has a story. But you just keep on going, you learn and you grow and pretty soon, it's just what you do.

One thing my son still struggles with is the lack of spontaneity. You do have to plan, and that's hard for a teen. For now she has you to do the planning, and I advise you to take on that burden for her right now.

We've done carnivals, the park, the beach, Six Flags, snow skiing (including a hospital trip for a broken leg!), water skiing, college camp on a bus, I could go on and on. And I know it does happen, but we've never encountered resistance for taking in supplies.

It'll all work out.

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

I know it's hard to believe now, but you'll get used to it - you'll adapt and you'll figure your own way of managing the disease. We all have our own approaches - there's no one way. I cried every day for the first few months. My son was barely 8 when he was diagnosed. It's been 6 years now and we're pretty laid back about it and although I know it has a pretty big impact on our lives, it doesn't really feel that way anymore, strange as that may seem.

At first, it's so scary and you have no clue what to do. As a parent, I felt so much responsibility and felt so inept to handle it. But you learn quickly and forums like this are really helpful because everyone has been through it. You can get help with the every day nuts and bolts of management and with emotional support. Someone is always logged on who can help.

Just want you to know that how you feel today is not how you'll feel a month from now or a year from now. I wouldn't say that diabetes is great, but our family is doing pretty well. My son hates it at times, but most of the time he does fine. Our kids can do anything, be anything they want - even a professional athlete. There are so many incredible role models with type 1.

I love this interview with the drummer from Rage Against the Machine, who got diagnosed as a young adult while on tour. I think it gives kids who have just been diagnosed a lot of hope. Made me feel so much better - particularly the last paragraph.

http://www.diabetesforecast.org/200...ine-drummer-brad-wilk-talks-about-type-1.html

And just want you to know that with creative insulin use (if you choose to stay with shots) or pump/CGM use, kids can eat anything they want. We are vegetarians and eat a lot of complex carbs. If my son wants candy or juice or sugar pop (make him have organic! :) ) he has it. We just cover it with insulin. Diabetes has no effect on what he eats. Sometimes, it affects the timing and he has to wait for his BG to come down or pre-bolus when he's hungry, but he eats whatever he wants and he's tall, growing like a weed and thriving.

Obviously, none of us chose this and it's not like diabetes only happens to those who are best able to handle it. It just happens. But I can tell you that it'll be ok. That I do know.

7. Lysa916

Lysa916 Approved members

Thank you! I know I will figure it out. I know I will always do what is right for my child and take care of my child and I know I am allowed to feel overwhelmed. And it is nice to just read kind words with out feeling like I am being judged or criticized for how I feel.
    Not everyone has the same familiarity with Type 1. I never knew any one with it. Never gave it much thought.
    I love my daughter beyond words and hurt when she hurts. I would take this from her if I could.