- advertisement -

12 yo diagnosed T1D 2 weeks ago - from SC PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by headzookeeper, May 30, 2013.

1. headzookeeper

headzookeeper New Member

Hi everyone -

I'm new to the forum and happy to have found a place to get (and give) support! My youngest son, Ben (12 yo), was just diagnosed with Type 1 two weeks ago. He did not go into DKA, thankfully, but his a1c was 14, so he'd been having high bg levels for quite a while and we just didn't know. He'd been thirsty and hungry all of the time and had lost a little weight, but he'd also grown a couple of inches and had taken a weight training class at the gym (both of which could account for his thinner figure), and, in my experience, almost-teenaged boys tend to be thirsty and hungry virtually every minute of the day! LOL So I wasn't really concerned...just curious...and when we saw my mom on Mother's Day we used her meter (she's t2) to test his bg level so I could rule out diabetes. WOW...you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw that his fasting bg was 224, and I knew then that diabetes wouldn't be ruled out but IN.

I think we've handled everything pretty well, and Ben has been awesome, doing all of his testing and injections like an old pro (the insulin pen really helps!). The first day or two were a little emotional for him, but once he learned that he can still eat what he wants (within reason) and be a normal, active, and healthy kid, he has been a real trooper. And after he'd been on the insulin for just a couple of days, he said to me that he felt a lot better, and he hadn't even realized that he'd felt so bad before because feeling "blah" had become normal for him. That killed me...my son had been sick for months and I didn't even know it! :(

So now we're settling into our new "normal" and we have this big, lifelong adventure to look forward to, and I am so glad to have a place to come for support, questions, and occasional venting sessions. LOL I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here and hopefully finding others in my area (near York, PA) who are going through the same thing. :)

Thanks!!

2. pennjewel

pennjewel Approved members

Welcome Amy! Although, of course very sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. I just joined myself, although we've been managing our 6 year old daughter's diabetes for a few years now. I'm not too far away from you (Mechanicsburg) and am always excited to see a fellow Pennsylvanian. ;)

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Welcome! My son's diagnosis story was fairly similar though he did end up in DKA/ICU. I had a teenage related excuse for every single symptom he had!

Glad he's settling in so well.