- advertisement -

12 hours with a bad site = how many hours to get back "into range"?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

As I stated in another post, Tyler had numbers creeping up, so I did a site change then he continued to go up until I pulled that site (about 12 hours later) and discovered that it was completely kinked!!!

Since bad site was discovered, did a site change, I rebolused him for his high bg, bolused for what he had previously bolused for breakfast, and then did a 4 hour basal increased of 50% thinking this would take care of things...

WRONG....here it is 8 hours later and he is still in the 200's!!!! I have been testing and bolusing all day long! (thank goodness it's Fathers day and he had to hang with his family most of the day anyways)

I am hesistant to do another basal increase, but maybe that's what he needs. Or maybe his creeping up numbers yesterday and not going down today are an indication that he needs more lantus and basal across the board???

Any thoughts??

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

There can always be more than one thing happening - growth spurt, illness, bad insulin, etc. We have certainly seen times we had to check and change everything to get back into range.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

That's what I was thinking...with his numbers creeping up yesterday and then not going down today, I think maybe the bad site was just bad timing and has nothing to do with today.

2 1/2 days left of school and then summer vacation, so not sure if I even want to start tweaking basal rates or lantus...maybe I will get lucky and the added activity of summer vacation will get those numbers back down again??? Although I am sure he will be taking his pump off more often so maybe the increase in lantus now will help with his numbers the next few days and help with more time disconnected once school is out.

I am going to take some advil, and chalk this up to diabetes keeping me on my toes:p:cwds:

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Did you correct with pump or pen? I find when Abbys that high unless I correct with the pen and then do a basal inrease ( our endo suggests 100%) for 1.5 hour intervals, those highs take their own sweet time coming down.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

I didn't correct with pen:mad:...once I saw the kink - I thought all would be all set once a correction was given. Bad on me!!

He is still in the 200's this morning...grrr....I had to change his TDD max last night because he had so much insulin throughout the day, his pump wouldn't allow him to bolus for his supper.

I guess I should have been more aggressive with the temp basal increases...I did another last night around 9 of 40% for 3 hours...I figured I would see lows last night, but nope..still in the 200 and 300's all night long...and I increased his lantus by a unit last night. Oh and did another site change just in case....even though it was a brand new vial of novalog, I think I will do another site change today with a new vial. (have to get a script filled first).

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We do pretty much the same thing (200% basal for 2 hours) and correct with a shot. Then check, check, check. At 2 hours if she's still high, do another temp basal (maybe only 150% or 175% depending on her number) and correct again (keeping IOB in mind). It can take 4-6 hours to get back down to a 100 BG. We used to only do the correction, but have found that a high increased basal with a correction seems to work better.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Oh well, live and learn, we've all done it:p I am just as guilty as you!
    I do find that the pen correction gives the bg's a real good heave-ho as opposed to correcting a number that large with just the pump. Don't know why really, maybe something to do with it being a different spot.

Hope things turn for the better.

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Yes, this is definately a live and learn one!!! I don't think I will make this mistake again...corrections for pump site failures done via insulin pen NOT pump!!:eek:

He was in the mid 100's during the school day, had a 40 late in the afternoon, and before going off to the batting cages with his dad tonight was 62. Funny I would rather see the 40 instead of a 400....I KNOW what to do with a 40:p

All is well that ends well.:cwds: