- advertisement -

110 to 86 in 5 minutes: if You Stay in Range Do You Still Feel Low?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sszyszkiewicz, Jun 8, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Ok so today we had an episode with DS (aged 12, 6 months post diagnosis).

At 12:38 he was 120 (he was close to 120 for 30+ minutes)
    At 12:43 he was 110
    At 12:48 he was an 86
    At around 12:48 he walked off the altar under his own power...just barely (he was serving Mass and started to feel lightheaded). A fingerstick showed him at 89. 15 carbs of juice.
    At 12:53 he was 76
    He went up to 111 about an hour later.

Last insulin was at breakfast at around 9:30. 61 carbs. 6 units His breakfast peak was around 220 at 10:20AM. We do Lantus at night.

Will a sudden drop, even within range, cause a diabetic to "feel" low? He stayed above 70 the entire time. he normally doesn't feel lows until he is in the 50's, and low 50's at that.

We are trying to determine if this was diabetes related, or something else. he has conked out on the altar before (twice, years prior to diagnosis). The robes they wear are warm and a little tight around the neck, and he forgot to drink water before Church.

What do you guys think?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

yes.

The drop of glucose alone will do it, I have seen and heard many kiddos say it and I have dealt with T1D's other than my kiddo that, 'I swear" looked low.

But I have also seen kiddos that have been standing still for a long time and have "locked" their legs and fainted. And since you say he has done something similar in the past, I don't know! could have been either.

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I think so. I know if I feel a quick drop I will start to feel low, especially if my blood sugar has only gone from 130 to the 80s. I don't feel gradual lows, but sudden drops I seem to catch them prior to it being below 70 (as long as I'm awake). And generally with quick drops I get a bit dizzy, nauseated, hot, and the back of my neck starts to tingle.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Could very well be the Mass. I served as a boy and almost passed out several times. The robes, the heat, the insence and the stifling atmosphere. Finally gave it up. Thank God!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is exactly what my daughter feels, but she also gets a headache.

6. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Christopher sometimes feels a fast drop and to him it feels like a low.