- advertisement -

100 at 2am. WWYD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Oct 8, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Treat it or wait? She was 142 at 8:30pm. We have been struggling with early morning highs and if it is safe I would like to try to avoid them. Either way I will be rechecking

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

How long after her last fastacting was the 142? What is your gut telling you? Did she exercise a lot today?

3. wearingtaci

Her last humalog was at 4:45. She had gym class at 2:30. I'm still up and my gut says she has Dawn Phenomenon and I just haven't caught it on the meter yet. I'm just going to stay up,recheck her at 4,which is 1 hour,and go from there.
    Sleep is so over rated:(

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'd leave it, but we have the CGM. Without it, I'd be awake wondering if I made the right decision and what is happening in her body.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

"We" would call it normal-ish and since we have a CGM and feel our basals are dialed in we would let it go. However, this is why everyone is a little different.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would be happy with 100, especially if the pattern was to rise after that.

7. wearingtaci

The expected big rise never showed,at least not last night
    4am 94
    7am was 103.
    Unfortunately though she is exhausted and grumpy from that extra check

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

With puberty, it can be really hard to find patterns. What happens one day isn't likely to happen the next.:(

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Unless there is fast acting still humming along working I'd consider a 100 a success and leave it alone, unless there had been heavy exercise too. Strong dawn phenom here though, so that factors into that.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would leave it and recheck in an hour or so to make sure she wasn't still dropping. If you wanted to sleep you could give 5-10 carbs of fast acting (depending on how much that would raise her).

Is she still waking up when you check her at night? What kind of lancer/meter are you using?

11. wearingtaci

yes,she still wakes up for night checks. In fact she wakes up,and wants to discuss the results. We are using a delica at night,during the day she uses a microlet lancing device.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry to hear that. I just thought that maybe if you used a gentler device she might not wake up. But we use the Delica too and it is pretty gentle. Danielle also woke up in the early days but eventually just slept through everything. Maybe Sophie will get there at some point. Good luck.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

In this case, I would not have tested her again. She needs her sleep.

14. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Every child is different, but I would have erred on the side of caution and given her carbs. Most likely this is because we don't have a cgm and my daughter doesn't seem to show more insulin resistance in the morning, so I'd rather her wake up at 140 than risk a 50. I know 140 at breakfast would spell trouble for others though.

My daughter wakes/doesn't sleep peacefully through nighttime checks either. Even if she's not fully awake and sitting up, she's pulling her hand away from me as I hang on to her finger for 5 seconds trying to grab the meter to get the blood on the strip before she can unintentionally smear it. I worry about her broken sleep.

15. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'd leave it, but we're comfortable with numbers in the lower 100s at night. We normally don't treat unless she goes below 90 at night. If it was a number i was iffy about I'd recheck in an hour to see how Ashleigh was doing. If she dropped lower, than i'd go ahead a treat.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Have you tried checking the big toe at night? My daughter sleeps through that.

17. bisous

bisous Approved members

Without a CGM I'd probably give carbs--especially if retesting meant waking her up again. 140 isn't a great morning number for us but I hate lows and they make me nervous.

What did you end up doing? (Ooops just read your update! at least 103 is a good number. If my DS is too high at night he is similarly exhausted even though he sleeps through BG tests)

18. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd is about the same age as yours andmost days now I would let a 100 go. She tends to rise a lot towards morning.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

If she kept dropping at the same rate she could be low by morning. When is she getting her Lantus?

Rebounds from overnight lows can cause waking high numbers..