- advertisement -

10 year old not eating the food bolused for

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, May 6, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Our dd is 10 and making me crazy. For the last 2 weeks she has been going low in the afternoon on school. days because she takes a bolus before she eats and then doesn't finish her lunch. I have her help pack her lunch in the mornings so I don't over pack her lunch. The agreement always has been she doesn't have to take anything she doesn't want,but she has to eat everything she takes.
    I know toddlers can be bolused after they eat,can older kids too? I would rather she bolus before hand,but she isn't eating everything and lying about it afterwards. I don't know what other choice we have

2. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Well 2 options....bolus after she eats and if that doesn't work then she will have to eat in the nurses office.

My daughter is 11 and if there is something in her lunch she just doesn't want after bolusing for it, she will find a replacement for the carbs...juice box, piece of candy or snack from her "low" bucket in the classroom.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  3. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

You can do half and half. Bolus for half the carbs or a set amount before she eats and the remainder after she actually eats. No child should be forced to eat to match the insulin.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I think this would be a good approach. If she is good enough at calculating her own carbs (and will acutally DO it without supervision) she can take half, eat, then take the insulin for the remaining carbs (or she can see the nurse about finishing the bolus). This is what they do at the diabetes camp DS goes to, so it can't be that bad. :)

I like that you are giving her total control over what she takes in her lunch. I'd ask why she isn't eating it all. (is she full? Is she distracted by friends? Is she more interested in playing outside than eating? I'm guessing it's one of those.) I don't know if it's realistic to "require" her to eat all of her lunch (especially since you aren't there to follow through).

You could send her with less food or make it okay to not eat it all. I agree with CAGrandma--kids shouldn't be made to eat to match insulin, it should be the other way around.

In my opinion, taking insulin right after eating is better than having lows every day. And keep in mind, it will most likely be a short term solution.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out. :)

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

What is she giving for a reason for not finishing her lunch? Is it too much food? Not enough time? too busy being social? I think you're all the right things, asking for her involvement in packing the lunch, taking only what she wants, allowing her to have that control. The last thing you want is to make food the enemy and it does sound like you're really trying to avoid that.

You can let her bolus afterwards, but I think I'd first get to the bottom of the really reason why it's happening and deal with the lying over it, separately (because you CAN treat that like any other lying situation) . Post bolusing isn't ideal but neither is going low every day. There can be compromises, and it really is just finding what works for her. Don't feel you must do things ONLY one way. :)

6. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

We were taught to pre bolus and it worked fine at her old school. We had an unanticipated move and the new school does lunch followed immediately by recess. I suspect she is rushing lunch to go play. I don't think I am packing too much. She is a little thing and eats the same lunch as her 7 year old sister today's lunch was
    1/2 a tuna sandwich
    5 baby carrots
    1/2 a banana
    5 decent sized cheddar cheese curds.
    I know the nurse will bolus her after she eats so I will talk to the nurse about that today and see what I need to send for carb counts differently

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My kiddo never finished all of her lunch, actually she still doesn't. I just made sure to pack her things that didn't spoil as much so then if she doesn't eat it she can take it again tomorrow. After a few weeks some of those granola bars got pretty squished.

Could you make her an index card, she could help, with the contents and carbs for each items so that she or with the nurses help, could count up the carbs in what she actually did eat? We often use the split bolus when she doesn't know how much she'll finish. I also used to write the carb amount on the items with a sharpie.

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son goes to the nurse to get his blood sugar checked and dosed for 30 carbs. When he is finished eating he goes back to the nurse and gets the rest of the insulin.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking^^

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Wow, she must be a tiny thing. At that age, DD was eating 2 pieces of pizza, 20 carbs worth of fruit and a milk every day. DD was (and still is) a picky eater, so it was easier to give her what she would eat - pizza. I cannot imagine giving your child less carbs for a meal than she is already taking, especially if she likes to play hard.

If you don't want to change lunch, then I would give the shot after she eats. I don't like the idea of filling up with low treats because they can catch onto that trick pretty quick and consuming fast acting sugars without protein and fat does not work well on MDI.

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm in my 20s and always bolus right after I'm done eating. Sometimes my eyes ate bigger than my mouth. I've never noticed any adverse reactions and my control is decent.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have experienced this many times, usually at the beginning of the school year. She's busy catching up with friends, being social and forgetting they only get about 20 minutes to eat. So in that case, it is too much food for the time allotted. So once we got to the bottom of it, I packed a little less lunch and that helped the situation.

I've found at school because we ran the risk of her being too social that it was best to bolus after. Now that the nice weather is here, she wants to go outside ASAP, so she does pre-bolus...with the understanding that she must either eat what she bolused for. The kid takes the same lunch everyday so it was pretty easy to come to agreement on this:cwds:

There are times when we still do this. When she wrinkles her nose at what is being served for dinner or if she's not feeling well or just isn't all that hungry. This way, we aren't replacing what she didn't eat with juice or fruit chews.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

To me it sounds like a perfectly normal amount of food. And healthy.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

The only thing you're going to run into is that the post bolusing is now going to exacerbate the very issue that you're trying to help her avoid. She wants to get outside to play, the last thing she's going to want to do is go to the nurse before she can do that.

Since she is 10, and is getting old enough to help you solve these sorts of problems I would suggest the following and see what she likes best:
    One shot before - yet she must eat it all.
    One shot after but now she'll be delayed from going to recess
    Two shots; one before for the mandatory items and one after for whatever else she wants to eat.

As long as all the options are equally fine for you (since you are the parent) then it can be helpful to her to let her decide what's going to work best. 10 is a good time to work through these things because soon enough she'll be dealing with them herself and it's good to help her understand the decision making process . :)

You're doing a great job! Don't doubt that.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how about you only give her in her lunch 2 or 3 items like the sandwich and a side that she gets bolused for and has to eat and then have a seperate snack bag with very low carb items like the carrots and cheese. IF she is hungry later she can have those items if not bring them home and eat them.

My daugter is a small eater too, she is only in second grade and I pack a small snack to have a 1030 and then a small lunch to have at 12. no afternoon snack anymore at school. IF she were to be hungry then she could go to the nurses office and get a low carb item from her stash for when she is high.

Another thought is to have her leave class 5-10 minutes early so that she is not rushing so much and can eat after her bolus.

Do you think there is a reason she would be going low on purpose?

16. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I give Kira a set number of carbs (I have to, she's on NPH). Then I add in a few other things that aren't carb foods. Cheese, pepperoni, lunchmeat, raw spinach, a side salad with no-carb dressing... whatever. I tell her that she HAS to eat the carb foods. If she's still hungry, she MAY have the other things.

It works really well for us, but of course, YDMV.