- advertisement -

10 Things Your Endo Never Told You.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Christopher, Jan 4, 2012.

1. steph

steph Approved members

just came from a visit to the pedi for allergies, and the nurse asks if dd is still on insulin and if i have to give her shots everyday. yes and yes.

i was so naive when dd was first diagnosed. i was under the impression that if i did a good enough job of measuring out all the food and dosing exactly as prescribed that her numbers would be perfect and all would be right with the world. it took a while for me to accept that good enough most of the time is the best we are going to get with managing T1D. There's no perfect.

2. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

Traveling will make you run high. Just came off of a 12 hr road trip and corrected highs all day along with a 50-75% increase in basal. (part of that is the typical fast food as well while driving)
    ETA: Traveling may make you run high. (thank you for the correction) :)

I wish someone would have told me about doing a double shots of insulin for difficult foods like pizza, mexican, chinese. (Just to name a few) My Endo actually advised me to give half dose up front and then the other half 2 hours later. Now I've learned from this site to always add about 25% more carbs than what he is actually is eating.

Your first follow up at the Endo may take forever. I think we were there for about 2-3 hours. So take a snack with you. (Ds actually went low by the time we made it back to the car).

Also ETA: Can't remember if this was mentioned: Your insulin correction may be different at night. You may not need as much insulin to correct bc the sensitivity may be higher.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

That Your Diabetes May Vary. My daughter needs less insulin on the trip to someplace and stays beautifully in the 90-110 range due to excitement. The trip home, she needs more. I just figured this one out after seeing the same pattern for the prior three trips and the "why" finally clicked.

4. Gina_NoahsMom

Gina_NoahsMom Approved members

Not every child will wake up from a low with a nightmare or screaming. My son just doesn't wake up at all...

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

And this is why nighttime testing is so very very important.

6. abdabs

abdabs Approved members

That there are kinder, smaller pen needles than the ones they give you [and prescribe] at the hospital. Very important for the wee ones, or at least my wee one, anyway.

7. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

Most of mine have already been covered. Great thread!

One I would add is that it's ok to ask the nurse/tech at the endo's office to use your own lancing device when taking a1c. We just learned this 2.5 years in. After being speared by their huge lancet, DS asked if we could use our Delica one next time. They said no problem! :mad:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes this and also at the hospital/ER.

the one time use lancet that they use really can slice the skin on little fingers.

9. flyingbinker

flyingbinker New Member

Wow, what a great thread. My son was Dx'd 8 yrs ago and I still learned two new things from this thread!

My contribution is that sports affects D differently. My son gets low if swimming or ice skating for fun, but if he is competing in baseball, soccer or football, the stress of the adrenaline makes his BGs go up! We have to adjust basal rates up 20%+ when he plays sports.

Also pizza is evil! We have found through trial and error that if we add a unit per slice and bolus combo 30% up front / 70% 2 hrs later, we have much better numbers. Ice cream and milkshakes we tend to go 50%/50% 1 hour out.

10. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

I agree, pizza is evil! I am going to try that method of combo-bolusing. We do 50/50 over 4 hours and decrease the I:C ratio. It's better than just a simple bolus, but still not great.

I will add that bagels are evil, too. Even half a bagel at breakfast will keep DS high until dinner. We ended up just all giving up bagels, but haven't been able to fully do that with pizza.

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

that you need to have a different types of low foods because kids get board with smarties and juice.

not every one goes on the pump

You might find that weird things like high suspense movies and Walmart affect your bg and its good to plan ahead=) I eat a 30 carb snack before I go into Walmart or JC Penny's but I'm fine in other stores.

you don't have to keep your meter in the case it comes in... makeup bags/ Vera Bradly wallets work just as well and are SO much cuter!

The word carb makes spell check mad, but your not misspelling it!

perfect blood sugars are like unicorns, you see them on tv but they don't exist

12. natallia

natallia Approved members

"I eat a 30 carb snack before I go into Walmart or JC Penny's but I'm fine in other stores. " - wow! this is amazing! ;)

13. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Love the personal alarm idea!

I agree this should be a sticky!

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Yeah, it took a couple of times of me nearly passing out at the register to figure that one out! But it's vertically convenient of I'm high;-) action movies make me go high, then I crash later:(

15. missjenec

missjenec Approved members

wow, I was just wondering about that- where do you find that? I figured blood keytones are worse then urine.

16. missjenec

missjenec Approved members

amen lady, I found my kids sugars in the morning were MUCH better WITHOUT a bedtime snack, shes better off eatting a decent dinner. How many of US as adults eat a bedtime snack?

17. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

# There is such a thing as an insulin pen, for those using syringes. Pens are less painful and much more more practical. IMHO the use of syringes, vials, etc, makes the treatment of diabetes a more clinical / medical experience. This has a psychological toll on both patient and caregiver.

# Control-freak penleakophobes who shun pens because they believe they can administer more accurate doses with a syringe better think again! Τhere are studies that show that dosing is more accurate with a pen. I quote Ragnar Hanas: "...(a) study found an error rate of 10% when doses of less than 5 units were given by syringe. When a pen injector was used, the error was only 5%...In a study were parents were supposed to deliver 1.0 units of insulin, the actual dose varied between 0.6 and 1.3 units. The variability was even greater when the dose was administered by pediatric nurses."

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  18. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Bumping this up for the recent newcomers.:cwds:

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Another bump for newbies.:cwds:

20. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We MDI so I knew this, but I've often wondered about pumping and corrections. Leaving aside the convenience factor, can you correct (not cover) more often with pumping? Doesn't pump Humalog last just as long as MDI Humalog. What am I missing? Thanks!