- advertisement -

1 in 20 die from low blood sugar - JDRF ad - in paper today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by selketine, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally agree.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I honestly dont think that anyone reading the forums would disagree with the fact that one death is too many. Yes, it is too many. Im not sure if some of you need to feel validated by me saying that. No one has disputed that here. What Ive seen in this thread is people who dont like fearmongering, sensationalism and using our kids as a means to an end.

These people are being analytical and trying to figure out if the statistics in that ad are correct. Im grateful for them doing this. Im not that smart about math, always did horribly at it in school. I dont see this as a competition to see who is right or wrong. And believe me when I tell you that these same people who are being analytical and going over the math figures love their children and would gladly step in front of a bus for them. I know personally, I found the ad offensive. It tried to get under peoples skin and it succeeded! Oh my yes! but will it cause the FDA to approve the AP any faster? I doubt it. But it did cause a friend on FB to post this. I will leave out any names and if this person see her post on here I apologise. Im using it as an example of what this ad did do for some parents of CWD:

Hey Everyone - our little man, has Type 1 Diabetes! Yep - DIABETES! Recently new information has come to light that has most parents of children with T1 D scared! 1 in 20 people with Type 1 Diabetes will die from a low blood sugar. Most likely this is at night, when a low is experienced and they do not wake up. EVER! BARF!!! 1 in 20, can you imagine bringing home a newborn baby with that statistic - 1 in 20 will die from SIDS? So I'm now planning on returning to college when is of age, so I can be the RA on his floor - and when he gets married, he and spouse can move right in with us so I can continue the nightly checks... oh, and if you see me slamming yet another Dr. Pepper - I'm just trying to stay awake! BTW - November is Diabetes awarenesss month!

So how did the ad help this parent? What did it do for her or for me or any of us? Im being serious here. How did it help? And how does it help to make an announcement that a young lady may have passed away from type 1 in her sleep?

My son doesnt have Facebook yet and I wont be letting him read the forums, not even the kids section. I wouldnt want him seeing anything like this thread. I certainly dont want him seeing that ad in the paper because it wont do jack sh** for him either.

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I think the arguments have run their course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.