advertisement

Thread: Hurricane Irma approaching FLA, expected landfall Sunday September 10th 2017

Default Hurricane Irma approaching FLA, expected landfall Sunday September 10th 2017

Hi folks,

A new thread in the parent's forum has me thinking about this. If you are anywhere on the Florida peninsula you need to moving quickly to keep your child with diabetes and the rest of your family safe and secure.

Hurricane Irma (the strongest hurricane in generations) is approaching from the southeast, and is currently predicted to make landfall in south FLA on Sunday morning. Effects are predicted to be catastrophic. It will then proceed northward along the peninsula, wreaking havoc as it goes.

Your best response if you can afford it is to get yourselves to safety (out of state, or in the western panhandle) as soon as you can. If not then you need to rush to completion your hurricane planning and preparations. This is not your ordinary hurricane. Wind damage in the landfall area will be akin to that from Hurricane Andrew but worse, similar to what you'd see in a tornado - but over a much wider area. Storm surge can kill you, even if your shelter stays standing. Power outages lasting from days to many weeks can be expected in worst-affected areas.

You'll need all diabetes supplies needed for at least a several week period to be on hand, easily transportable, in waterproof carrying container(s).

Best of luck to all in Irma's path. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Wilf

Proud Dad of Amy (19), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (15); very happy husband of Shirla!

I'm late reading this post. We were busy evacuating our home in Florida. First time evacuees. Packing up medical supplies was a big deal. We didn't know if we would have a home to come back to (we are fine fortunately). We took all of our insulin and several months worth of supplies. One thing I'm glad I did: I had just finished transitioning all of our mail order supplies to CVS pharmacy. Our insurance company is now allowing us to get 90 days through CVS instead of mail order. This is very relevant to emergency situations like this. Once CVS has you in the computer, you can fill your Rx at any CVS in the country. Many are open 24 hours and there is no longer a need to wait on mail order, especially in an emergency like Hurricane Irma. I had to use CVS myself when my endocrinologist called me as I was driving out of Florida wanting me to change the dosage of one of my meds. I was able to get the Rx in Atlanta, where we evacuated to.
    Brenda, dx'd T1D as an adult. T-Slim, Dexcom
    Mom to Carson, age 17, dx'd T1D at 9 months old. T-Slim, Dexcom. Dx'd Addison's disease 1/15
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 14