advertisement

Thread: New here, just a quick question -

Default New here, just a quick question -

Hello!

Our son just started his first year of college. It all seems good. He did not go away to school. He is going to school locally at a private university. He is taking Chemistry and today was his first day. He rode his longboard from his car to the class and wound up with low blood sugar. He was eating a gummy candy (with the bag in his backpack) and the Chem prof asked him if he was eating something. He told her that he was as he has Diabetes and has low blood sugar. She told him that there is no eating of any kind in the lab and he will need to leave immediately. He can return when he is done. He had to go to a teacher's lounge about 50+ feet away from the class. He will need to leave class every time he has to treat low blood sugar.

We are very familiar with the school setting however, we just don't know how to approach this at the university level. He stayed after to talk to the prof about this and she didn't waiver. She said he could check in class but no food, candy, glucose, beverage - nothing. Any treating of any kind, if it involves consuming something, will need to be done away from the class. The class is three hours long. It is quite likely that he will need to treat a low on many days and repeatedly need to leave. What would you do given that he already talked to her and could not convince her otherwise?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lakelife View Post
    Hello!

Our son just started his first year of college. It all seems good. He did not go away to school. He is going to school locally at a private university. He is taking Chemistry and today was his first day. He rode his longboard from his car to the class and wound up with low blood sugar. He was eating a gummy candy (with the bag in his backpack) and the Chem prof asked him if he was eating something. He told her that he was as he has Diabetes and has low blood sugar. She told him that there is no eating of any kind in the lab and he will need to leave immediately. He can return when he is done. He had to go to a teacher's lounge about 50+ feet away from the class. He will need to leave class every time he has to treat low blood sugar.

We are very familiar with the school setting however, we just don't know how to approach this at the university level. He stayed after to talk to the prof about this and she didn't waiver. She said he could check in class but no food, candy, glucose, beverage - nothing. Any treating of any kind, if it involves consuming something, will need to be done away from the class. The class is three hours long. It is quite likely that he will need to treat a low on many days and repeatedly need to leave. What would you do given that he already talked to her and could not convince her otherwise?

Thanks!
    Did he register with disability services? This would be a question for them. The thing is, in a laboratory setting, there are cleanliness standards & I don't think you are going to get around that. He may have to get to class earlier, so he can eat before the class starts to avoid missing class. I don't know if he uses a pump or cgm, those tools could be helpful in managing during class. Surely he has gone without eating for 3 hours at a time before.
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 18, dx'd type 1 age 3 in 2001. MM 630G pump with cgm. dx'd celiac 6/09
    She will be a sophomore at University of Utah in the fall 2017.
    Go Utes!

I agree with Kim. See if your son will talk to disability services, his Advisor, someone who can address the issue. If they say he can't eat in class why can't he just step outside the class and treat? Just a thought.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015

I imagine this has more to do with biohazard and chemical safety issues. I run an immunology lab at a University and there is no eating/drinking allowed inside our laboratories. We have both biological and chemical hazards in the lab and one does not want to ingest any of them. We eat meals and snacks outside of the lab. Often standing in the hallway just outside the lab to have a sip of water or piece of candy.

He should be allowed to step outside the lab at any time (without penalty) to treat a low. He should not have to go to someone's office 50 feet away.
    mom to boy/girl twins born 06/03
    daughter diagnosed type 1 06/06
    son diagnosed type 1 04/14

I would let him deal with this. He's at college.

If you feel you must provide input, then here's my suggestion:
    He should have 3 small bottles of a carby beverage of his choice with him for each class. If he is under 120 and trending down before the class, he consumes one. Then measure in class hourly. If under 120 trending down at any measure, then step out and consume another. Repeat as needed. I'm sure there is no issue with him drinking a small bottle in the hall, but if per chance there is then the 50' distance to the lounge can be covered in seconds.

Good luck to him.

Proud Dad of Amy (19), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (15); very happy husband of Shirla!