advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medtronic 670G

Manual mode has temp basal. The high side only goes to 135% but the low side is normal and goes all the way down to zero. Your idea is certainly doable it would just take a little experimentation. Which everything in D management seems to, LOL.

We use Humalog but I'm sure different insulin would make a difference. The faster the insulin the better everything would work. It would be something worth trying. This year our insurance changed things on us, so anything not "preferred" has a bigger co pay.

Last night and today it seems it's having a harder time keeping up highs. Not too bad though. I had to bolus corrections a couple times.

She woke up in the low 120's this morning. And still zero lows other than the 2 I caused earlier in the week.

There are a couple Facebook forums my wife found and joined. A lot of good info there. It seems a lot of people as in most are, having lots of highs for 10 days to 2 weeks then the pump really starts to work great. I'm not that patient and tend to micro manage my daughters D so I started changing rates and what programing I could and seemingly with very good results compared to the people that just plug it in and go with whatever happens for a couple weeks while the pump continues to learn you. So I would definitely say to start making changes ASAP. Even the Medtronic rep said I had it dialed in ALOT faster than any one else in our endo practice had. But again I think that's because most people are good patients and do what they're told, and that's definitely not me...

As far as when to get it?? Do it, do it now. run and don't look back LOL. Zero lows, great waking numbers and even with dealing with highs early on, less D management.
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 10
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by dpr View Post
    Manual mode has temp basal. The high side only goes to 135% but the low side is normal and goes all the way down to zero. Your idea is certainly doable it would just take a little experimentation. Which everything in D management seems to, LOL.

We use Humalog but I'm sure different insulin would make a difference. The faster the insulin the better everything would work. It would be something worth trying. This year our insurance changed things on us, so anything not "preferred" has a bigger co pay.

Last night and today it seems it's having a harder time keeping up highs. Not too bad though. I had to bolus corrections a couple times.

She woke up in the low 120's this morning. And still zero lows other than the 2 I caused earlier in the week.

There are a couple Facebook forums my wife found and joined. A lot of good info there. It seems a lot of people as in most are, having lots of highs for 10 days to 2 weeks then the pump really starts to work great. I'm not that patient and tend to micro manage my daughters D so I started changing rates and what programing I could and seemingly with very good results compared to the people that just plug it in and go with whatever happens for a couple weeks while the pump continues to learn you. So I would definitely say to start making changes ASAP. Even the Medtronic rep said I had it dialed in ALOT faster than any one else in our endo practice had. But again I think that's because most people are good patients and do what they're told, and that's definitely not me...

As far as when to get it?? Do it, do it now. run and don't look back LOL. Zero lows, great waking numbers and even with dealing with highs early on, less D management.
    Ours will be here Tuesday! Leaving to take her back to college on Thursday...we will see how that all goes down! Super excited to have her start on this pump. Whether she will be pro-active & get the results like yours or ease into it, we shall see. I am not in charge anymore

I have definitely learned to tweak things on our own...it can always be changed back! Not sure if my daughter subscribes to the same philosophy...tbd.

My daughter just came back from diabetes camp where she was a counselor. She said one of her campers had this pump & it was definitely working good for the camper. All other stuff she has heard from other camp staff, etc has been good. Can't wait to see how this works for my kid!!
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 18, dx'd type 1 age 3 in 2001. MM 630G pump with cgm. dx'd celiac 6/09
    She will be a sophomore at University of Utah in the fall 2017.
    Go Utes!

That's awesone she'll have it soon. They had us on manual mode for a week before switching over to auto to 'learn' her. I suspect they'll have you guys do some thing similar.
    When she goes on auto mode tell her don't be afraid to be more agressive than she would normally be with her regular pump to get the lows down at first. It seems to take a lot more to get down the first few days. It's kind of a pita to over ride, you have to either enter a higher bs number or just enter in a fake carb count. It doesn't show you what it's going to give, if any, until you get to the next screen. It's not user friendly to micro managing which you have to at first on auto.

We did find out today it can't compensate for a site going bad. She went to a pool party thet we wern't at and came home around 450. She says she had the pump on the whole time. Oh well.
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 10
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by dpr View Post
    Did I read this right that the high temp basal only goes to 135%? Does that also mean the auto mode adjusts by the same? That wouldn't fly in our world. During the height of puberty, it wasn't uncommon that basals could go from 200% to 100% in the blink of an eye (and always at bedtime ) with shifting hormones. We don't see that today, but we use 200% often after occlusions, and our standard go-to for most illnesses is 160%, though sometimes less is needed and sometimes more, what happens most is 160%.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Any idea if Medtronic is planning on coming out with a Share-type feature for third-party CGM monitoring?
    Son - Dx July/12 as 9 yr old. OmniPod Dec/12. Dexcom G4 Feb/13.

I don't know how much auto mode can adjust. Even pre puberty crazy highs have always been our big problem. Personally I wish all pumps went to 400% temp basal! Today we're 12 days in on auto. We have had some problems with highs and the 670 not being able to keep up, but one or 2 correction bolus's and it seems to get the job done rather well. The over all work load is so much less! I'm sure it will be at least a full month or more to have a complete opinion but still at this point my opinion is there's not a chance in hell I'll ever have her back on a regular pump. It's that much better.

I also wish the 670 had something like Share. I'm sure there have been plenty of complaints about it. I'd be surprised if some day they don't have something similar but I can't speak for them. Not even having a remote receiver like the G4 has probably been my hardest thing to get used to. But as I've said before, so far it's so much better!

I really want Share
    I really want a high temp basal
    I really want a couple other things about the 670 to be different.
    BUT I really WONT be giving the 670 back! Lol, seriously!
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 10
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4