advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medtronic 670G

Default Medtronic 670G

Anybody have this yet? If you do--what do you think of it especially in comparison with the dexcom g5 sensors?

My daughter is not up for a new pump and is a happy Medtronic user but I would be willing to upgrade with their pathway program if I felt that this truly was a better pump/system for her since she is currently a very busy college student and it seems like it would help her not have to obsess as much over her diabetes care.
    Julie (mom to Jessica 21 dx Hashimotos 12-21-10 and Erin 19 dx 2-9-07 pumping humalog in Medtronic Revel

This blog (go back one or two posts) shows graphs of the two sensors. http://sugabetic.me/

A friend of a friend was part of the study. The participants petitioned the FDA to stay on the system before release and were allowed to. 80% chose to stay on it, which says a lot.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by MomofSweetOne View Post
    This blog (go back one or two posts) shows graphs of the two sensors. http://sugabetic.me/

A friend of a friend was part of the study. The participants petitioned the FDA to stay on the system before release and were allowed to. 80% chose to stay on it, which says a lot.
    Thank you for the link-it does look pretty promising!
    Julie (mom to Jessica 21 dx Hashimotos 12-21-10 and Erin 19 dx 2-9-07 pumping humalog in Medtronic Revel

We're going on our 2nd week on the 670g. This is our 3rd day in auto mode. The new Medtronic sensor performance is incredible. We have been happy Dexcom G4 users for almost 4 years. The Guardian sensor is more noticeably accurate and much faster with almost no lag time compared to the Dexcom. During fast blood sugar changes it seems to be 10-15 minutes faster. This was a pleasant surprise as I didn't have that high of hopes for a Medtronic sensor. The down side of the sensor, which is a little subjective, is insertion. Not bad but the Dex is so nice and well thought out with it's self contained inserter. Also the Medtronic transmitter has to be recharged during every sensor change. Only a few minutes but I like the simplicity of the Dex better. But most importantly and the bottom line, the Medtronic Guardian sensor really does perform a lot better.

As far as the 670g pump. I'll need a few more days to comment on it. She's been running high with the pump not catching up the highs. Each day I make a change and this morning I may have figured out a really important part of getting it dialed in. But I need a another day or 2 to know for sure. It seems that the carb ratios may be directly linked in the algorithms to the basal rates. The more aggressive basal rate = more aggressive basal rates. I'm not sure yet but will report back on that. The great news is NO lows in auto mode other than 2 I caused by very aggressive blousing because she was running high.

More to come when I have more.
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 10
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by dpr View Post
    We're going on our 2nd week on the 670g. This is our 3rd day in auto mode. The new Medtronic sensor performance is incredible. We have been happy Dexcom G4 users for almost 4 years. The Guardian sensor is more noticeably accurate and much faster with almost no lag time compared to the Dexcom. During fast blood sugar changes it seems to be 10-15 minutes faster. This was a pleasant surprise as I didn't have that high of hopes for a Medtronic sensor. The down side of the sensor, which is a little subjective, is insertion. Not bad but the Dex is so nice and well thought out with it's self contained inserter. Also the Medtronic transmitter has to be recharged during every sensor change. Only a few minutes but I like the simplicity of the Dex better. But most importantly and the bottom line, the Medtronic Guardian sensor really does perform a lot better.

As far as the 670g pump. I'll need a few more days to comment on it. She's been running high with the pump not catching up the highs. Each day I make a change and this morning I may have figured out a really important part of getting it dialed in. But I need a another day or 2 to know for sure. It seems that the carb ratios may be directly linked in the algorithms to the basal rates. The more aggressive basal rate = more aggressive basal rates. I'm not sure yet but will report back on that. The great news is NO lows in auto mode other than 2 I caused by very aggressive blousing because she was running high.

Thanks so much for this! Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences!

Thumbs up

Glad to hear this! My daughter should be receiving hers soon, although with being in college out of state, I'm not sure how the whole training will work out.
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 18, dx'd type 1 age 3 in 2001. MM 630G pump with cgm. dx'd celiac 6/09
    She will be a sophomore at University of Utah in the fall 2017.
    Go Utes!

[QUOTE=dpr;886443]We're going on our 2nd week on the 670g. This is our 3rd day in auto mode. The new Medtronic sensor performance is incredible."

dpr

Thank you for the update. Did you get training from a Medtronics rep or your office? Also is it true that the sensor life can not be extended beyond 7 days? I am guessing if true it has to do with FDA requirements. Do you know if the newest sensor is similar to the last Enlite versions, straight in insertion? Again thank you for keeping everyone updated on your progress and good luck.

Ali

[QUOTE=Ali;886446]
    We're going on our 2nd week on the 670g. This is our 3rd day in auto mode. The new Medtronic sensor performance is incredible."

dpr

Thank you for the update. Did you get training from a Medtronics rep or your office? Also is it true that the sensor life can not be extended beyond 7 days? I am guessing if true it has to do with FDA requirements. Do you know if the newest sensor is similar to the last Enlite versions, straight in insertion? Again thank you for keeping everyone updated on your progress and good luck.

Ali
    We have a Medtronic rep on staff in our endo office. She did the training. It's not hard to learn. A few new terms. The programing is a bit different than the 630g, they cleaned it up from the 630 clutter.

Supposedly the sensor can't be restarted. BUT I did talk to a Medtronic rep at camp a month ago who is diabetic and has been using a 670 for about 3 months and asked her that very question. She said with anonymity lol, that yes there is a way but it's not very easy and it was less trouble to just change it. She also said your trusting your life to the sensor so just do it. Point taken.

We trialed with old Medtronic harpoon before we got our Dex. That's the only Medtronic sensor we've ever used so I can't really say how it compares with the Enlite. It does go straight down, not at an angle. You have to use an inserter and it comes with pre cut shaped tape to help hold it down. My daughter doesn't like it as much as the Dexcom but she's 11... Actually as far as sensor changes go I like the Dex a lot better too. But the Medtronic is really impressive the way it performs.

So far the one thing I can say is when set it up you can't think of bolus rates the same as with a regular pump. When and only when you go to auto mode for the first time I would recomend bumping your rates heavier by 15% to start. Our Medtronic rep says pretty much everyone has had to do it. It's just a different animal than a regular pump. The ONLY parameters you have the ability to adjust in auto mode is active insulin duration, bolus rates and bolus correction factors. I've been adjusting every day. The first day she was in the mid 300's for a while, yesterday the low 200's and today she hasn't been higher than 180 with plenty of 100-150 time. I did crash her about 4pm after a high carb snack when I got too agressive with the late afternoon bolus rate. I backed off a little for dinner and it's really close now. Tomorrow by mid day it will plenty close enough to let her go camping tomorrow evening with my sister in law overnight and I won't have ANY worries about lows or bad highs. I hated it the first day because it wouldn't get the highs down and thought the pump might have been defective but after figuering it out I'm already loving it!!

So now here is the bad part about the 670g. It runs in either manual mode like a 630g or any other pump and can run in auto mode, which is where all the good stuff happens. The active insulin duration, basal rates and correction factors in the programming are for both manual and auto modes. When in manual mode all your old rates from your previous pump work perfect BUT to manipulate it in auto mode for good control you have to be considerably more agressive with those parameters. SO NOW when you go back to manual mode during a sensor change or for various reasons auto mode can kick the pump back into manual ALL your rates are TOO hot. This is a problem I don't even know if they're aware of yet. They need to seperate the programing for manual and auto modes!

Also something important. It HAS to be calibrated every 12 hours or less. If you don't it WILL wake you up and drive you crazy until you calibrate it! They also say if you calibrate it 4 times a day it's a little more accurate. It's not like a Dexcom where you can get away not calibrating it for a little while. And since your health and life depends on it being accurate, well just do it before it makes you..

Anyways 3 days into auto mode this is where I'm at...
    Last edited by dpr; 07-27-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 10
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4

BS this morning when she got up was 114. Ran in the 105-130 range all night. All is good at the moment!
    Jessie's Dad
    Jessica 10
    T1D 2/2/2011
    MM pump
    Dex G4

BS this morning when she got up was 114. Ran in the 105-130 range all night. All is good at the moment!
    Thank you so much for all the information. I did wonder about the auto and manual switch. Can you always just run a temporary balsa rate in manual, 70 percent? I know you would need to still adjust the bolus ratios, but again maybe you just get used to reducing or increasing the suggested bolus by 30 percent. Sounds like a learning curve issue. But would be nice if you could have a built in option. Finally, any sense as to if the type of insulin you use impacts the settings? I assume no as it is responding to real time changes even with active insulin times etc initially put in. Thank you so much. That overnight number without any noises going off would be fantastic, truly being able to sleep soundly is huge and actually for the person with T1 is a huge health benefit and I suspect helps even out your daytime numbers even more. Thank you so much again for sharing
    I am trying to decide when to switch.