advertisement

Thread: Low blood sugar with illness

1. Default Low blood sugar with illness

Sometimes my daughter runs low with illness. I haven't given her any correction for 15 hours and she's been maintaining low 100s since she woke up and she has a cold. Carb intake is the same per usual. She's three years into her diagnosis. I noticed she does this sometimes. She's growing well but I worry about if there is something else going on although we get her thyroid checked yearly. Everyone complains of highs and not seeing much info on lows. She's done this since diagnosis but now that she has a cgm I'm really aware of the pattern. Anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarae1983 View Post
    Sometimes my daughter runs low with illness. I haven't given her any correction for 15 hours and she's been maintaining low 100s since she woke up and she has a cold. Carb intake is the same per usual. She's three years into her diagnosis. I noticed she does this sometimes. She's growing well but I worry about if there is something else going on although we get her thyroid checked yearly. Everyone complains of highs and not seeing much info on lows. She's done this since diagnosis but now that she has a cgm I'm really aware of the pattern. Anyone else experience this?
    This is so ydmv. I think if you use the CWD search box above, you'll find some older threads discussing illness-related lows. As long as it's a pattern you only see when she's sick, I wouldn't think it's something you need to worry about.

My daughter typically runs low with certain illnesses (strep throat and stomach bugs) and she runs high with others (colds and respiratory crud). But I think that other parents would report that different kinds of bugs cause highs and lows for their CWDs. Whether she's running high or low, it's important to check ketones frequently and figure out how to adjust insulin for them -- which can be so, so tricky when she's bumping near low!

Of course, anything that concerns you is worth mentioning to the endo at the regular visit. (If you see persistent lows or long periods of dramatically reduced insulin needs at times when she's NOT sick, it's always worth checking for celiac as well as thyroid.)
    Snowflake
    Mom to
    DD TR, age 7. Dx-ed with T1 04/04/2012. Omnipod & Dexcom user. Dx-ed with celiac 12/23/2013.
    DS1, age 5.
    DS2, age 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarae1983 View Post
    Yes. My daughter will sometimes run low with an illness. Sometimes, with a cold, she will run high, sometimes, a cold, she will run low. I am guessing maybe it is the type of virus involved?? We just deal with it.
    Mom to a sweet 13 year-old child, was diagnosed at age 10 on 12/4/13
    Started with Humalog and Lantus.
    Diagnosed with Celiac on 2/18/14
    OmniPod since 3/26/14
    Dexcom G4 since 4/11/14

4. Default

Thank you for the responses. Made me feel better. Her insulin requirements are back to normal. Her brother who is also t1d had the same response and his is still low. Thinking back it seems viruses make her sugars low and her ear infection she had made her run high. Well the patterns will become more obvious with the dexcom so I'll keep an eye on it.