advertisement

Thread: Reacting to CGMS overtapes

Default Reacting to CGMS overtapes

I know there has been plenty of discussion on this but did not pull up the posts about it in my initial search, so being lazy and asking for help. Suggestions for dealing with itchy reaction to the overtape I am using for my Medtronic sensor. I clean the area with soap and water or alcohol apply sensor and the use several pieces of the tape which comes with the sensor. I have used opsite to secure sets when coming unstuck but I react to that tape also if on for more than a day. So any suggestions? I actually end up with raised hive like marks from the tapes.

Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Thank you Christopher. Have not tried. Will order it today and give it a try.

Hypafix is a good tape. Seems to be a lot like the stickie commonly used on infusion sets. Tegaderm is what we use as an overtape for Dex sensors.

Could your reaction be to the sensor tape/stickie? My son gets an awful reaction to the Dex tape/stickie, but is fine with infusion set stickies. So, we put a Tough Pad under the Dex sensor. Works like a charm.
    Dad to DS, diagnosed at 8 years old, now 11.
    Animas Vibe since May/2014.
    Dexcom G4 since December/2013.

Hypafix users here. A layer of Skintac under the tape helps make a barrier, too.
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (13, diagnosed at 2) T:Slim and Dexcom
    MDI 2006-2009, Medtronic pump 2009-2011, MDI 2011-2013, OmniPod 2013, T:Slim 2013-2015, MDI 2015-2016, T:Slim 2016-present
    Other AI issues: Diagnosed with Graves' disease and juvenile idiopathic arthritis in 2014 and cholinergic urticaria in 2016. RAI treatment in 2017 for Graves'.
    DS (15, diagnosed at 10) OmniPod and Dexcom

Thank you. I actually react to the tapes used to secure my sets also, but as I swap those out every 2-3 days I can usually deal with it. Will try the Hypafix if the Grifgrips cause a reaction. I also will try Skintac although I reacted to the barrier sticky wipes they used to suggest using before putting on my pump sites Sorry that was years ago, but I switched to just soap and water for the most part. I thought someone had mentioned using an allergy spray under the tapes?? I may not be remembering correctly and something called a Tough Pad??
    Thank you so much everyone. I hate going into my clinic for help as it is just so time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Thank you. I actually react to the tapes used to secure my sets also, but as I swap those out every 2-3 days I can usually deal with it. Will try the Hypafix if the Grifgrips cause a reaction. I also will try Skintac although I reacted to the barrier sticky wipes they used to suggest using before putting on my pump sites Sorry that was years ago, but I switched to just soap and water for the most part. I thought someone had mentioned using an allergy spray under the tapes?? I may not be remembering correctly and something called a Tough Pad??
    Thank you so much everyone. I hate going into my clinic for help as it is just so time consuming.
    For our reaction (one son) to the Dexcom tape, using flonase spray first (let it dry good) then using Johnson and Johnson Tough Pad. I order off Amazon. I follow directions on how to apply that. For Dexcom that is easy to shoot through.
    You might be able to just us Flonase?
    DS1, 20 yr old, diag 3/2000 at 3 yrs old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09,Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12, G5 2015
    DS2 , 17 yr old, diag 9/2000 at 10 mths old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Navigator 9/08-5/09,Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,MM 730g 12/13 Dex 8/15, G5 2015

We also use Flonase. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but it works!
    Wanika (35) Wife of Robbie (Spook75)
    Caedence Jan 26-05 (DX Dec 26-07) Pumping with "Pinkie Pie" Ping since March 20th 2009
    Katarina Feb 4-02
    Nicolas Jan 31-96

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    We also use Flonase. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but it works!
    It does sound a bit odd. Have been trying to figure out what was meant. Is it just the spray you use for your nose and you just squirt it on your skin?? I wondered if I was missing something. Thanks. I have used the GrifGrips tape for a few days and no reaction so that may be a good option, thank you Christopher. Just cutting off strips to use.
    Thank you to everyone who has replied. The more options the better as for me at least, just switching stuff help helps.

Ali