advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want a CGM but CWD does not

Default I want a CGM but CWD does not

My son was diagnosed T1D 23 days ago. I would like to get a CGM, at the very least and hopefully a pump at some point. But my 7yr old heard the words "needle insertion" and refuses to try either. I know he is trying to adjust and I don't want to make it harder on him (the IV's during his hospital stay with DKA were miserable). But I know I would sleep better with a CGM and so would he because I wouldn't wake him up to test! Plus, I'm really nervous about sending him to school without a CGM.

Does anyone have advice to convince him to try it, other than "I'm mom and I'm making you try it"? I'm trying to give him as much control as I can, since he didn't ask for this dx.

This is such an amazing forum and I've learned so much from reading old posts. I've bought "Think Like A Pancreas" and the Ragnar Hanas book to read while on vacation next week.

Thank you!
    FLPeaches
    Mom to Caleb dx at 7yrs, 6/17
    MDI with Humalog and Lantus
    Julie nonD 17yrs
    Alex nonD 14yrs
    Meghan nonD 12yrs

Maybe concentrate on the fact that one quick needle insertion and he will avoid much more pricking over a two week span. We change my daughter's Dexcom every two weeks and she only pricks about 3 times a day on a normal day as opposed to at least 6 or 7 without it. She doesn't mind the pricking as far as pain goes, but she does hat the process of having to stop and do it. In most cases, we just dose off of Dexcom at meal times, except at school, where they require her to prick.

In addition, my daughter knows she has much more freedom with her CGM. I am much less hesistant for her to be out and about without me with Dexcom Share. She has an Apple Watch as well as her phone and I contact her if she isn't handling things on her own. My daughter was also 7 when she was diagnosed and is 11 now. She started the Dexcom about 3 months after diagnosis and has never looked back.
    MEVsmom]Mother to 11 yr old with rare, neurodegenerative condition (Passed away February of 2015) and an 11 yr old with T1D, diagnosed 7/23/13
    NPH and Humalog 7/23/13-11/20/13
    Lantus and Humalog 11/21/13-4/21/14
    Pumping with a blue Animas Ping since 4/22/14
    Dexcom G4 - September 2013 - present

I did a mix of bribery and force. Once we decided to really do it, it was just a rule - you live here, you wear a CGM. I bribed them to get the first ones in, then we just kept going. They can choose their pump (or do MDI), their meters, their test strips (although there are insurance limitations on it, their bags/belts, the food they eat, etc...but the Dexcom is non-optional. I was actually surprised at how quickly they came to love it. We change the sensors every few weeks and they calibrate twice a day so the number of sticks is much, much lower. For us, it's never been an issue. The kids love having Dexcoms. They like getting a good scratch in once the sensor is off, and they might go an hour or two without it ever once in awhile but that's it.

That said, we've been at this 11 years and only using Dexcom for 4 - we only added it when we realized how overwhelming two kids with diabetes was. We did daycare, nights, play dates, preschool, vacations and everything else without a CGM and we did it for many years. It's just how things were - I had never even heard of a Dexcom until I found this board. If you decide against it, diabetes is completely doable, especially when you have never had one.
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (13, diagnosed at 2) MDI and Dexcom
    MDI 2006-2009, Medtronic pump 2009-2011, MDI 2011-2013, OmniPod 2013, T:Slim 2013-2015, MDI 2015-2016, T:Slim 2016-2017, MDI 2017
    Other AI issues: Diagnosed with Graves' disease and juvenile idiopathic arthritis in 2014 and cholinergic urticaria in 2016. RAI treatment in 2017 for Graves'.
    DS (15, diagnosed at 10) OmniPod and Dexcom

Welcome to the forum but sorry you have to be here.

This is a tough one. Part of me feels that you are so recently diagnosed and he (and you) are just trying to adjust to everything why force something on him. But part of me knows how much information the CGM will give you and how much it helps. But it doesn't feel right to force him (for me).

Maybe give everyone some time to adjust to your new life and continue to help him understand the benifits of a CGM. He may come around to it on his own.
    Good luck!
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Welcome to the forum but sorry you have to be here.

This is a tough one. Part of me feels that you are so recently diagnosed and he (and you) are just trying to adjust to everything why force something on him. But part of me knows how much information the CGM will give you and how much it helps. But it doesn't feel right to force him (for me).

Maybe give everyone some time to adjust to your new life and continue to help him understand the benifits of a CGM. He may come around to it on his own.
    Good luck!
    I agree with Chris. Give it a little time. You are all dealing with a lot of stuff in such a short time period. Focus on learning how diabetes/insuln works, etc. The cgm is a great tool, and so are pumps, but baby steps. It is not going to just "fix it" & make it easy. Trust me. In the early days, we all look for something that is going to make it normal. Give him(and you) time to accept the disease. Forcing it on him isn't going to be a good outcome. That said, I'm not opposed to bribery...but give it a while. Allow your child time to grieve.
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 18, dx'd type 1 age 3 in 2001. MM 630G pump with cgm. dx'd celiac 6/09
    She will be a sophomore at University of Utah in the fall 2017.
    Go Utes!

EMLA Cream.....it literally makes the insertion painless. You can say that with confidence. After 3.5 years my 15 year old still uses it!

There will soon be a new auto inserter from Dexcom that does not look as imposing as the current inserter. It will be available sometime this year pending fda approvals.
    Last edited by sszyszkiewicz; 06-28-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    Dad to a child diagnosed on 11/27/13 (he was 11 at the time)
    MDI (Lantus and Humalog) 11/2013 to 8/2015
    Tandem Tslim 8/2015 to present
    Dexcom G5

I don't have suggestions for convincing your child, but would suggest getting the insurance process started for CGM approval regardless of his thoughts for now. For some it can take 30 to 90 days to gain approval and then another few weeks to set up a training. That's ample time to work on persuasion for your son.
    1 2-year-old T1D boy
    pumping Minimed 523 8/16
    Dexcom G5 5/16

My top recommendation would be to get together with someone else (older? peer? both?) with T1D that wears it and likes it. Another person with T1D carries much more influence than we as parents. I know my daughter would be willing to talk to others about wearing, but we're not anywhere close to you. Like Stacy's kids, she likes a couple hour break between sensors sometimes, but not an overnight. She knows the difference it makes for both highs and lows. She could also verify that it has given her greater independence than she would have had otherwise. It really does improve their quality of life tremendously.

I would order it (give him his choice of colors!!!). Forcing him to wear it might backfire, especially during the teen years, but I would consider this a very incentive worthy trial. Set the period of time to a couple of sensors to really get a feel for it. I've also discovered over the years that I'll be ready to throw in the towel before my daughter is and order something new. She usually rejects the concept, but within a couple of weeks of whatever being around, she's game and likes the change. If you chart the number of fingersticks per day now and with later cgm so that he can visually see the difference, it might help as well. That one stick every 10+ days reduces the fingersticks by about half in our house.

My daughter has an instructor this summer who told her that his roommate last year wore the thing to keep his mom off his back. Ours is dubbed "Mom's toy", so even at the young adult stage, they still know the peace it gives us.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

You need to give him time and space. Do things the way you were shown to, and then slowly introduce new things. As parents we are eager to start doing the best we can for our children.

It is important to think how this looks to them. Go slowly and explain what is happening, and listen to your son.

Proud Dad of Amy (19), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (15); very happy husband of Shirla!

Start logging BGs per day now - plus bad symptoms. I just noticed you're going on vacation, and out-of-routine are times when CGM is especially helpful. Extra activity will require lots more finger pokes, stopping his activity to come check. He can't comprehend at this point that just playing at the playground while you can watch his number saves him fingerpokes and your sanity, but they add up quickly. Bounce houses created high stress pre-cgm, hikes produced bad lows that left her miserable for a couple hours. We got cgm at one year, and my daughter has never looked back. (And she started with the Medtronic sof-serter which was truly a torture device.) Her reaction to her first Dexcom insertion was that she didn't even feel it.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."