advertisement

Thread: Gymnastics settings

Default Gymnastics settings

Our 3-year-old is taking gymnastics. Nothing too intense yet -- jumping in the foam pit, swinging on a few bars, hopping on the trampoline and doing some obstacle courses with some forward rolls. Lots of waiting in line and just a few bursts of activity. Because it pales in comparison to his activity on a playground I didn't think it required much adjustment in insulin dosage.

But we've noticed two trends:
    First: he tends to run a little low in class. If he's on the way down, it takes a lot more carbs to prevent him from being low, and he lingers low for longer. He usually eats breakfast about 2 hours before, and if we try to under-bolus for breakfast he still runs high and gets too tired in class to participate.
    Second: About 25 minutes after class he starts rising quite high (250-300), rises for an hour and then drops. This doesn't happen on other days so we assume it's tied to gymnastics.

Anyone else have gymnasts or have ideas for how to deal with this low-high combo -- and does anyone know the physiological explanation?

Thanks!
    1 2-year-old T1D boy
    pumping Minimed 523 8/16
    Dexcom G5 5/16

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Our 3-year-old is taking gymnastics. Nothing too intense yet -- jumping in the foam pit, swinging on a few bars, hopping on the trampoline and doing some obstacle courses with some forward rolls. Lots of waiting in line and just a few bursts of activity. Because it pales in comparison to his activity on a playground I didn't think it required much adjustment in insulin dosage.

But we've noticed two trends:
    First: he tends to run a little low in class. If he's on the way down, it takes a lot more carbs to prevent him from being low, and he lingers low for longer. He usually eats breakfast about 2 hours before, and if we try to under-bolus for breakfast he still runs high and gets too tired in class to participate.
    Second: About 25 minutes after class he starts rising quite high (250-300), rises for an hour and then drops. This doesn't happen on other days so we assume it's tied to gymnastics.

Anyone else have gymnasts or have ideas for how to deal with this low-high combo -- and does anyone know the physiological explanation?

Thanks!
    My daughter started that kind of gymnastics class at age 3. I recall it being pretty unpredictable, and it's gotten somewhat more predictable as she's grown up. Without a TBR, she would often drift down during class -- I have vivid memories of darting away from my younger child in the mommy-baby class across the mats to stick a glucose tab in her mouth. In her early years in gymnasticd, it seems like we were using glucose tabs almost every class. We've experimented with basal reductions over the years, and we now run about 50%, but I tend to think that would have been too much of a reduction back then. Possibly because of age or possibly because her current class is more intense.

If the basal reduction during class doesn't work, another thought is 10 carbs uncovered right before class -- we still sometimes do a handful of uncovered pretzels right before class if she starts class at her target bg -- the bg might bump up a little for the first half but is usually back on point by the end.

We haven't seen the post-class highs that you describe. If anything, it seems like she's in better range for several hours afterward than normally. Interested to hear others jump in with an explanation!
    Snowflake
    Mom to
    DD TR, age 7. Dx-ed with T1 04/04/2012. Omnipod & Dexcom user. Dx-ed with celiac 12/23/2013.
    DS1, age 5.
    DS2, age 1.

My daughter does gymnastics but she is a little older (9). We do see the same pattern you describe (Low immediately after class, and then high later), although in our case I think we complicate it because she disconnects from her pump during class. So I feel like the highs are a delayed reaction from being disconnected, plus she is on the low side and ravenous by the time the class is over so she eats a bunch of snacks. I can't help with the physiological explanation, but that would be interesting to see.
    daughter diagnosed 5/15/12, now 8 yrs old
    pumping with animas ping as of 10/13
    dexcom G5 5/16