advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dexcom G5 users....

Got the Dex today! Super simple insertion. My daughter was a bit nervous when we were setting up even though she does all her own insulin injections. She didn't even feel it. So much so I wondered until it was paired if I had done it correctly. It is amazing and the freedom I feel already is amazing. I haven't done a finger poke since the two it asks for at the beginning. Do you guys normally do pokes at any other times than calibration (or the common sense reasons like feeling different than the number type thing).
    Thanks!
    Shannon
    Mother of 2 girls.
    Kaitlyn age 8 dx T1D Jan 30/2017
    Riley age 10 peanut allergy

Quote Originally Posted by sey76 View Post
    Got the Dex today! Super simple insertion. My daughter was a bit nervous when we were setting up even though she does all her own insulin injections. She didn't even feel it. So much so I wondered until it was paired if I had done it correctly. It is amazing and the freedom I feel already is amazing. I haven't done a finger poke since the two it asks for at the beginning. Do you guys normally do pokes at any other times than calibration (or the common sense reasons like feeling different than the number type thing).
    Thanks!
    I think you'd get different answers depending on who answers. Some people only do the two calibrations per day and dose off the cgm. We do less than we used to, but more than just the calibrations. Sensors can vary greatly in accuracy, so once we get a feel for the sensor, that affects it as well. One time that I always revert to blood is if she's not coming up at night. The cgm can have a great deal of lagtime when they're sleeping since the body fluids aren't moving. A realarm low can still be low or beautifully up for sleeping, and I'd rather poke than then treat a high for overtreating.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

We calibrate three times a day, first thing in the morning, right after school and before bed - all times when she is usually on a straight line. I've read not to calibrate while moving up or down. I agree, If the low alarm goes off, we fingerpoke and we ignore the CGM and just go with meter readings until we see her blood sugar going up nicely again. The lag time adds an element of stress we don't need. I also would finger poke in the night if the cgm is showing she needs a significant correction, I test with the meter before giving her insulin.

We just calibrate twice a day unless the Dex is just way off and has a straight arrow. We routinely dose off of dex for highs and lows day and night. I'm not going to go crazy with a correction at night based on the Dex, but if it has been a day where the Dex was accurate, I do give her insulin during the night based on the reading and I also treat lows based solely on Dex. I am only going to prick in the night if we have just had a crazy evening and I have a reason to suspect it is off or if she has a stubborn low that won't come up.
    MEVsmom]Mother to 11 yr old with rare, neurodegenerative condition (Passed away February of 2015) and an 11 yr old with T1D, diagnosed 7/23/13
    NPH and Humalog 7/23/13-11/20/13
    Lantus and Humalog 11/21/13-4/21/14
    Pumping with a blue Animas Ping since 4/22/14
    Dexcom G4 - September 2013 - present

Thanks for the responses. I have found it to be very accurate so far. I still have her poke at lunch at school with the nurse but that is the only added poke we do so far other than calibrations.
    I've been dosing based on the dex as well without any problems. Mind you our calibration times are usually before breakfast regardless so that meal is with both. I'm so thankful we have coverage for this and really hope it becomes standard coverage because it has taught us so much in terms of best foods etc since she started wearing it friday.
    Shannon
    Mother of 2 girls.

Quote Originally Posted by sey76 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I have found it to be very accurate so far. I still have her poke at lunch at school with the nurse but that is the only added poke we do so far other than calibrations.
    I've been dosing based on the dex as well without any problems. Mind you our calibration times are usually before breakfast regardless so that meal is with both. I'm so thankful we have coverage for this and really hope it becomes standard coverage because it has taught us so much in terms of best foods etc since she started wearing it friday.
    I totally agree. I can't imagine life without it and I don't know how I tried to figure things out before it!

Has anyone tried to get more than 7 days out of a sensor?
    5-year-old son
    Dx at age 2
    Pumping with Animas Ping

We got 14 days out of our first sensor. Our second sensor was terrible. Every time I tested it was WAAAY off. But called them today and they are replacing it. The new one I put on her tonight seems better already.
    Shannon
    Mother of 2 girls.

We started Dexcom last Monday. Sensor was bad on the first day, but then perfect for the rest of the week. Today, it timed out, so I clicked "stop sensor" and "start sensor" without replacing it, just as our Dr. told me to. But before bed, it gave me question marks on the receiver, so I ended up changing a sensor.
    5-year-old son
    Dx at age 2
    Pumping with Animas Ping

sey76, thank you! Who do you call when you feel that your sensor isn't right?
    5-year-old son
    Dx at age 2
    Pumping with Animas Ping