advertisement

Thread: Another claim of a non-invasive glucose monitor

Default Another claim of a non-invasive glucose monitor

I would not take this too serious until you know of someone with T1d that confirms it. I'm highly skeptical but at least it is published work. I don't know how reputable this journal is. Hopefully someone else more in tune with research will comment.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/conte.../e1601314.full
    Father of T1: diagnosed Oct/2009 at age 6. MDI for 6 years. Now on a 'new' Medronic pump that looks like a circa 1995 pager. Ready to close the loop.

Default results reliable, but not necessarily translatable

Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    I would not take this too serious until you know of someone with T1d that confirms it. I'm highly skeptical but at least it is published work. I don't know how reputable this journal is. Hopefully someone else more in tune with research will comment.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/conte.../e1601314.full
    Many hurdles lie between a prototype in animals and a marketable product, BUT Science Advances is a fairly prestigious journal -- an offshoot of Science magazine and akin to the "Nature Press" journals. That certainly suggests that the results are robust at least in mice.
    1 2-year-old T1D boy
    pumping Minimed 523 8/16
    Dexcom G5 5/16

FWIW I saw on the news that Apple has been working on a wearable product for the last five years. I was not aware till a few days ago that Apple was investing in this type of research.

Not sure if you noticed, but this method is for automatic delivery of metformin, not insulin. I believe this research group is planning to eventually do insulin delivery via a disposable patch but I think there are problems with getting the molecule to diffuse through their special gel needles.
    1 2-year-old T1D boy
    pumping Minimed 523 8/16
    Dexcom G5 5/16

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Not sure if you noticed, but this method is for automatic delivery of metformin, not insulin. I believe this research group is planning to eventually do insulin delivery via a disposable patch but I think there are problems with getting the molecule to diffuse through their special gel needles.

Not sure who you are responding too. I did not read the research, the Apple product is for a non invasive CGMs. I was responding to the leader line.