advertisement

Thread: Medtronic CGMS giving problems

Default Medtronic CGMS giving problems

Hi all, I wonder if any of you have had this problem. When I insert sensor, it warms up as normal for two hours but then several hours later it warms up again. Could the transmitter be faulty? I live in South Africa and my 11 year old daughter is on the insulin pump. Am not sure how many of you use the CGMS, but would love to hear from you if you have also experienced problems with it.

It is so frustrating. My daughter is also using the libre, and while I find that accurate and great it doesn't prevent the lows like the CGMS does. Going crazy trying to sort it out and get it working as it should!!

From Maya's mom

We had similar problems the year my daughter wore the Medtronic cgm. We'd had a great six weeks, and then six weeks of what you described daily. It was a real hassle to get Medtronic to send a new transmitter (I wasn't taping carefully so the sensor was wicking in and out of the interstatial fluid was their line.) When the new transmitter arrived, the problems ceased immediately.

I so do not miss dealing with Medtronic customer service!
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Thanks you so much for responding. I am hoping to get a new transmitter as soon as possible. It is driving me nuts. What are you using now out of interest, and do you find it works better?

We switched to the Dexcom G4 as soon as it was released in the US. It is so much better, in our opinion, for multiple reasons.

The Libre sounds interesting to me, although it's not available here. It wouldn't be an option, though, without alarms. My kid doesn't wake to lows. She's not great waking to alarms, either, but better & we're working on it.
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

5. Default

We live in Scotland and tried medtronic cgm for my daughter but it did not work properly because she is lean. After hours of dicsussions with the support team and loads of failed sensors we swapped to Dexcom. When you insert Medtronic cgm it goes under the skin under 90 degree and if it hits mussle or get firther that fat tisuue it stops working properly. Dexcom one goes under 45 degree angle and has more chances to survive. Hope it makes sence!

Yeah, these are known as "spontaneous restarts." In our experience it is a transmitter problem, although Medtronic will try to tell you that it is user error. What you need to do is to call it in to them EVERY time that it happens. They will talk to you about taping the transmitter so it doesn't lose contact with the sensor. And then they will tell you about the sensor "pistoning" in and out of the skin, causing a restart. You'll have to be patient and firm, but they will eventually send you another transmitter.
    Mom to J., age 13
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G5 CGM (current)