advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bolusing for oatmeal..

Yes, yesterday i subtracted all fiber. She dropped to 58. I think im going to try splitting the bolus next time.
    Chris mom to 4 daughters
    Ashleigh diagnosed Type 1 diabetes 3/23/10
    MDI-Tresiba and Novolog
    Dexcom g4 CGM
    Most recent A1C 6.0%

Quote Originally Posted by mom24grlz View Post
    Yes, yesterday i subtracted all fiber. She dropped to 58. I think im going to try splitting the bolus next time.
    Other possibility is splitting the breakfast - have her eat half, and the other half about 30 minutes later..

Proud Dad of Amy (19), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (15); very happy husband of Shirla!

You dropped the ratio once, try reducing more along with the fiber subtraction and no pre bolus. Ideally try one change at a time The split dose will probably give you the best spike coverage and reduce the low later but it is tricky. Did you check with your diabetes team? They might have some ideas after viewing your cgms data. Good luck.

Could the given carb counts be off for the oatmeal? Could you start decreasing the carb count given until you find what works?

Isn't it insane the things we do just to make life semi-normal that most people have no idea of? That if we do our work well, it looks so easy to outsiders, but behind the scenes, we're wracking our brains to solve things to make life better for our kids as we try to help them imitate the function of an organ that is impacted by so, so many factors?!?!
    8/2010 - 9/2011 MDI, Lantus & Humalog
    9/2011- Medtronic Revel 723 & CGM
    11/2012 - Dexcom G4
    2013 - Cut-The-Cord for water times after multiple Aquapac failures
    10/2015 - T-slim

"Life is not waiting for the storms to pass, but learning to DANCE in the rain."

Wilf=Other possibility is splitting the breakfast - have her eat half, and the other half about 30 minutes later..

You mean splitting the actual food or splitting the insulin? I did think about splitting the insulin (though not sure how percentage wise it should be split) but i thought part before she eats and the other after. We really don't have time (unless it's a weekend) to split the food. She eats at 7:00AM and has to leave by 7:15AM for school. She normally gets up around 6:00AM to get a shower and get dressed.

Ali-
    You dropped the ratio once, try reducing more along with the fiber subtraction and no pre bolus.

I'll try. The last time i did the no prebolus, subtracted fiber but kept the 1:7 ratio. I think i need to try this on a day where she does not need a corrective bolus. The last time her BG was 181 so she did a correction in addition to the bolus for the oatmeal.

Ali-The split dose will probably give you the best spike coverage and reduce the low later but it is trick

Yes. Not sure what kind of split would work? 50/50, 60/40, 30/70?? I did get the suggestion to bolus 1/2 the amount and then just have her correct the spike. Or to replace 1/2 the oatmeal with almond flour or ground flaxseed so it's not as carby.

Ali-
    Did you check with your diabetes team?

No we haven't. We're pretty independent in diabetes care, and mainly use them just to get prescriptions. Plus with Ashleigh being 18, not sure if they can still give me advice or she has to actually contact them. We recently switched to a new office (in Oct) and still haven't met the endocrinologist. The last 2 appointments were with the CNP. She's supposed to have her first appointment with the endo in May.

momofsweetone-
    Could the given carb counts be off for the oatmeal

This actually did cross my mind, that the carb count was off on the box. It says 1 packet is 32 carbs (she normally eats 2 packets) Dietary fiber 3g, Soluble fiber 1g

momofsweetone-
    Isn't it insane the things we do just to make life semi-normal that most people have no idea of? That if we do our work well, it looks so easy to outsiders, but behind the scenes, we're wracking our brains to solve things to make life better for our kids as we try to help them imitate the function of an organ that is impacted by so, so many factors?!?!

Amen! you said it!
    Chris mom to 4 daughters
    MDI-Tresiba and Novolog
    Dexcom g4 CGM
    Most recent A1C 6.0%

Mom24grlz
    I never use my team for details like this but I was hoping your daughter might have one of those super great teams. I have used a pump for a long time and so can not offer any advice on splitting the dose, sorry. Hopping Wilf chimes in as he has always been really knowledgeable about MDI. Yes trying these ideas without a correction bolus or a major low in the 12 hours prior can really help clarify what is going on. Of course there are always all the other unknowns, hormones, exercise, stress etc. I used to always have to eat a snack on any of the insulins at the 2 1/2 to 3 hour mark no matter what I ate if I wanted a reasonable spike without going low, I switched to Apidra to get the spike coverage without the low.

oh yeah and i forgot to mention that on the day we did the oatmeal, she started her period a couple hours later! And she does tend to have lows for at least 24-48 hours after she first starts.
    Chris mom to 4 daughters
    MDI-Tresiba and Novolog
    Dexcom g4 CGM
    Most recent A1C 6.0%

I did mean splitting the food - have half before and half after her shower..

Proud Dad of Amy (19), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (15); very happy husband of Shirla!

yeah i don't think she'd go for that LOL! i'd have to wake her up at 5 something to eat before her shower. I don't even want to be up that early!
    Chris mom to 4 daughters
    MDI-Tresiba and Novolog
    Dexcom g4 CGM
    Most recent A1C 6.0%

Quote Originally Posted by mom24grlz View Post
    yeah i don't think she'd go for that LOL! i'd have to wake her up at 5 something to eat before her shower. I don't even want to be up that early!
    If she only dislikes snacking during class have her snack when she has a chance before, i.e. on her way to the class to bump her numbers up before the tail hits. She might not be dropping yet but looking at her data you should be able to figure out when it happens and what type of snack will carry her through the 60 to 90 minutes of dropping. Sorry, I think your choices may be figuring out a split dose or snacking.