advertisement

Thread: Self Monitoring Glucose on school grounds

Angry Self Monitoring Glucose on school grounds

Hi All:

My son is 16 years old and a T1D for 11 years. He has been handling his T1D care for 5 years now. He has been checking his glucose in a private parochial school since September, 2015. Yesterday a teacher told him to take off his sweater in the cafeteria. He said he would and proceeded to finishing testing. The teacher didn't like this. My son told her his medical needs are more important then removing a sweater. He could have been nicer about it I admit that. But today the nurse has told him he must check his glucose in her office or the bathroom due to the danger to other students exposed to his blood. I have been researching all the State laws, which I have a really good understanding of, and can't find how parochial schools can get away with this. I have asked to meet with the principal. This has never been the practice. My son's diabetes plan states he can self medicate and monitor his care and has never once gone to the nurse for his diabetes care. I live in NJ. If anyone has law that I can use to go to the principal with to correct this nonsense, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Maura

does your school get any federal funding of any kind. Even if it's for school lunches. If so this link might help. If they are 100% private (no federal funding) then i'm not sure what you can do. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...ww.google.com/

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not apply to private schools operatedby religious organizations. Such a school is subject to Section 504 only if it receives federalfunding. Therefore, schools operated by religious organizations that do not receive federalfunding are not covered by either law. However, in these circumstances contract or tort lawmay impose similar obligations on a private school operated by a religious organization-taken from http://web.diabetes.org/Advocacy/leg...thDiabetes.pdf
    Chris mom to 4 daughters
    Ashleigh diagnosed Type 1 diabetes 3/23/10
    MDI-Tresiba and Novolog
    Dexcom g4 CGM
    Most recent A1C 6.0%

if there is State laws that is what you need to bring up not the Federal laws. Here in North Carolina we have States laws that basically mirror the Federal section 504, religious schools have to follow State law.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^11 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^7YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    if there is State laws that is what you need to bring up not the Federal laws. Here in North Carolina we have States laws that basically mirror the Federal section 504, religious schools have to follow State law.
    Thanks mmgirls, I had no idea it was the case that religious schools needed to follow State law. I knew they were exempt from Federal laws if not receiving any Federal Funds but did not know that did not extend to State laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Maura View Post
    Hi All:

My son is 16 years old and a T1D for 11 years. He has been handling his T1D care for 5 years now. He has been checking his glucose in a private parochial school since September, 2015. Yesterday a teacher told him to take off his sweater in the cafeteria. He said he would and proceeded to finishing testing. The teacher didn't like this. My son told her his medical needs are more important then removing a sweater. He could have been nicer about it I admit that. But today the nurse has told him he must check his glucose in her office or the bathroom due to the danger to other students exposed to his blood. I have been researching all the State laws, which I have a really good understanding of, and can't find how parochial schools can get away with this. I have asked to meet with the principal. This has never been the practice. My son's diabetes plan states he can self medicate and monitor his care and has never once gone to the nurse for his diabetes care. I live in NJ. If anyone has law that I can use to go to the principal with to correct this nonsense, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Maura
    I'm not understanding why a teacher would be telling your son to take off his sweater in the cafeteria?
    Last edited by wilf; 03-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Proud Dad of Amy (19), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (15); very happy husband of Shirla!