advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test strip question

Default Test strip question

We have fallen victim to the test strip problem...our insurance changed the tier of the strips we have been using, so instead of $15, we will have to pay $45. . (Not so affordable now are ya, aca? But I digress.)

Our options are accuchek and one touch. We have only used the one touch ultra blue, and we know we don't want to go back to that. He's open to the verio. We don't know much about accuchek and the extent of his experience with the verio is about 3-4 days at diabetes camp.

For those who have used both:

How does accuchek compare to the Verio strips? Does either company have a good discount plan? How do they compare with accuracy and reliability? What do you prefer? Do they have supply issues? Which meter do you like best?

I will be researching this, but any experience or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    DS age 14 dx'ed 9/09 Pumping with MM 5/11-9/15
    Started Pumping with t:slim 9/15
    Started Dexcom 10/15

We switched to Verio IQ some time back for various reasons and have been happy. Personally, I fully expect that, at some time, they will be Non Preferred and we might change but I don't really care all that much. I say go the cheapest route unless you KNOW of a particular, current issue.

As for affordable, is it a $30 difference per box? Per month supply? Per 3 month supply? Per 900 or per 1200? It kind of matters.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 16.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog Humalog since 1/16
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013 Now Dexcom G5

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    We switched to Verio IQ some time back for various reasons and have been happy. Personally, I fully expect that, at some time, they will be Non Preferred and we might change but I don't really care all that much. I say go the cheapest route unless you KNOW of a particular, current issue.

As for affordable, is it a $30 difference per box? Per month supply? Per 3 month supply? Per 900 or per 1200? It kind of matters.
    It's $30 difference for a one month supply. Sure, $45 per month isn't a huge amount but it's triple the $15 we paid last year. Every penny counts.
    Started Dexcom 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinmom View Post
    It's $30 difference for a one month supply. Sure, $45 per month isn't a huge amount but it's triple the $15 we paid last year. Every penny counts.
    I don't disagree. I would go with the cheapest option. Test strips are pretty accurate.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 16.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog Humalog since 1/16
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013 Now Dexcom G5

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

5. Default

This is a good time to ask if anyone has tried the One Drop Premium service. They advertise it as $40/Month for unlimited test strips, and a one-time charge for their tester. I'm curious as to how accurate their tester is.

EDIT: Just to clarify so that others don't get confused - I'm not affiliated with One Drop. I'm unfortunately in that category of health care subscriber who runs his own business, with high-deductible insurance, and therefore I pay full freight on all medical supplies. I'm paying north of $1 a test strip, which in a perfect year is still over $1200 annually, so offers ilke One Drop can save people like myself many hundreds.
    Last edited by johnyaya; 01-08-2017 at 11:20 AM.

You might check with the strip manufacturers website to see if they have a discount program if you want to keep the same strips. We use the Contour Next strips, as the meter communicates with her pump. The insurance will cover, but at a higher copay. Their discount program reduces the copay. We still pay the $15 copay, but Ascensia pays the difference to the pharmacy.
    Kim
    Mom to Danielle, age 18, dx'd type 1 age 3 in 2001. MM pump. dx'd celiac 6/09
    Attending University of Utah in fall 2016!
    Pray for me!

We have the Verio and have used it for at least 6 months. The good:
    - from experience good repeatability when it good range (70-130)
    - only 0.3ml of blood needed - very small drop - great for our kid who has cold hands

But - it is not rated as very accurate. Accu-chek meters, on the other hand, are rated VERY accurate. Also, their technology is less prone to wrong reads due to non-assimilable sugars. If they were on our insurance plan, we would go with accu-chek meters.

Quote Originally Posted by kim5798 View Post
    You might check with the strip manufacturers website to see if they have a discount program if you want to keep the same strips. We use the Contour Next strips, as the meter communicates with her pump. The insurance will cover, but at a higher copay. Their discount program reduces the copay. We still pay the $15 copay, but Ascensia pays the difference to the pharmacy.
    This is exactly what we were doing. But apparently it doesn't work anymore at the pharmacy...the discount card wasn't working because it was not a preferred medication. ???

Does anyone know about the accu-check discount program? The website indicated the copay needed to be at least $45 before it would kick in, but it wasn't very clear. I'm wondering if it would bring my copay down to $15 even if the original copay was less than $45.
    Started Dexcom 10/15

Have you asked your insurance if they have mail order? Often times if you're HMO or PPO they have mail order and the cost is cheaper because you receive a bulk supply (we get 3 months at a time).
    Lanae
    Proud Mom of
    Tyler (25)
    Abby (16) dxd 1/07 Type 1
    Pumping w/MM522 05/02/07
    Novolog/Sure T sites
    CGMS- 8/11/08
    Hashimotos Disease 6/08

"Endless"

I'm sticking with FreeStyle even if my daughter's insurance stops covering it, for two reasons: they're so darned accurate, and she only uses 3 per day max (to calibrate her Dexcom and to verify the very rare wonky Dexcom number.)
    Mother of two wonderful daughters:
    *T age 14 - dx'd 01/24/2014 at age 11.5
    MDI: Humalog & Lantus 01/24/2014 - 06/04/2014
    Dexcom: G4 05/02/2014; G4 with Share 03/11/2015; G5 10/07/2015
    OmniPod with Humalog 06/05/2014; Apidra 09/12/2014
    *C age 27 - reactive airway disease; married 08/30/2014