advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My 7 year old: Diagnosed Today

I am thrilled for you! We are very involved with our JDRF Chapter in Denver and this makes my day to hear your success!
    mom to Molly, 24, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Pumping with T:slim 11/14
    Dexcom G5 8/16
    Dave, 28, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

Life will be easier with a CGMS and a Pump. However I would actually get away from the idea of perfect numbers Going low and going high is going to happen over the next 80 years for your son, however maybe in 20 years they will have some pretty great options to reduce the highs and lows. Breathe, think of the next 80 years in terms of long term care. Good luck.

We are now 8 weeks post diagnosis. About 4 weeks ago we made the decision to go low carb and haven't looked back. He's between 70 and 140 about 98% of the time according to the Dex report. His diet includes about 50g carb per day and 100g protein per day. His standard deviation now is 25 with small spikes instead of large ones and his estimated A1C is 5.7. This feels sustainable and is low stress. We also switched from Lantus to Tresiba which further decreases hypo risk.

He had a virus with fever one weekend. Because of the Dex and the low carb diet we were able to keep him safe and in range with max peaks at 200 during those 2 days. We had to adjust dosing but it felt safe because we did it in half unit increments and with the CGM.

At school he wears a spibelt which has a small roll of 4g glucose tabs and his iPhone SE linked to his Dex G5. He knows to pop a tablet if he feels low or the monitor reads less than 75.

We're doing great. He's happy and healthy. Those first days were hard but now...we've got this down. He still plans to go to Yale or MIT in 10 years but instead of paleontology is considering Medicine.
    Mom to T1D 7-year old son
    Diagnosed: 12/01/2016 at age 7; A1C at Diagnosis: 14.2
    Prescriptions: Humalog and Tresiba
    Devices: MDI, CGM: Dexcom G5
    Diet: Low Carb High Protein
    Current A1C: 5.7

Welcome Diabetes is always there, but it will not always be the one thing that crowds into your thoughts and hangs out all day. It really does get easier. My daughter was diagnosed 10 years ago and my son 4 years ago. Both are typical teenagers with hobbies, sports, clubs, friends, etc. Life changes and you adjust. Things will go on

With the superhero analogy, I highly recommend Even Superheroes Get Diabetes. Love the book and he's at a good age for it.
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (13, diagnosed at 2) T:Slim and Dexcom
    MDI 2006-2009, Medtronic pump 2009-2011, MDI 2011-2013, OmniPod 2013, T:Slim 2013-2015, MDI 2015-2016, T:Slim 2016-present
    Other AI issues: Diagnosed with Graves' disease and juvenile idiopathic arthritis in 2014 and cholinergic urticaria in 2016. RAI treatment in 2017 for Graves'.
    DS (15, diagnosed at 10) OmniPod and Dexcom

It's been more than 8 months since diagnosis. We've all come to accept our new normal. My son is doing very well - he isn't very bothered by the T1D. There are two reasons why our lives are very balanced and happy: the Dexcom and the low carb diet. There are hard days with growth spurts and sports but overall the hard days aren't that hard. I've relearned how to shop and cook.

Breakfast is usually buttery broccoli, eggs scrambled with cheese and heavy whipping cream, and sausage or bacon with a mug of green tea and a multivitamin and vitamin D. Lunch is often lunch meat rolled up with cheese, cucumber and carrot sticks, a handful of nuts and a strawberry. Dinner is often steak or crab cake or grilled chicken and cauliflower rice. Snacks and dessert are almond flour Lily's chocolate chip cookies and a 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds.

We are living our lives with optimism and confidence.
    Mom to T1D 7-year old son
    Diagnosed: 12/01/2016 at age 7; A1C at Diagnosis: 14.2
    Prescriptions: Humalog and Tresiba
    Devices: MDI, CGM: Dexcom G5
    Diet: Low Carb High Protein
    Current A1C: 5.7

I'm just curious, why not let your son eat what he would normally eat as a 7 year old and just give the correct amount of insulin to cover the carbs in what he is eating? Did a doctor advise you to adopt a low carb high protein diet? If so, did they also explain the risks?
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015