advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can sporty teenagers wear dexcom sensors on the back of their upper arms successfully?

Default Can sporty teenagers wear dexcom sensors on the back of their upper arms successfully?

We are still trying to sort out our ??? issues.

I gather from this forum that many kids and teenagers prefer back of arms and get a good 2 week sensor session even though it is off label use.

But what about active teenagers who play:
    Tennis
    Hockey
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Swimming and diving

Could the active movement of the arms during sport perhaps impair performance of sensor (or kill it with ???) ?

Thank you
    Sue, mum to Ben 13 now, diagnosed Sept 2011. MDI, Levimir and NR. Medtronic Veo CGM started June 2013 - started Dexcom April 2015, pumping since 21 Nov 2013, and older brother Jamie, 16 now

Please can I get some replies from the Dexcom veterans? And can quite lean teenagers use back of arms?
    Sue, mum to Ben 13 now, diagnosed Sept 2011. MDI, Levimir and NR. Medtronic Veo CGM started June 2013 - started Dexcom April 2015, pumping since 21 Nov 2013, and older brother Jamie, 16 now

Quote Originally Posted by suej View Post
    Please can I get some replies from the Dexcom veterans? And can quite lean teenagers use back of arms?
    I don't think my "sporty kid" reply will help much... Maddie decided back of the arm dexcoms were not worth it after changing in and out of sports bras. This is obviously not your son's problem :-) That said, through girls field hockey and lacrosse we never had a problem with sensors getting knocked off or ripped away (aside from the bra thing). Nor did we ever have a real problem with ??? other than long showers or baths. Water really seems to be the most persistent and annoying thing when dealing with the dex, at least it was for us.

Good luck!
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 19, dx @4
    Cozmo @6
    Minimed @13
    t:Slim @17
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because of you, we CAN!" - MCS

Different sports, but my lean 13 year old wears Dexcom exclusively on his arms and he plays baseball, football and basketball. He's lost a few to hits from other players or from sweat, but that's pretty rare. No issues with ???, though. However...we don't really see ??? very often. I think my kids' body chemistries must just work really well with Dexcoms. They wear them for several weeks, rarely lose one and if we do get ??? it's only after 3-4 weeks of wear.
    Stacy - Mom to
    DD (13, diagnosed at 2) T:Slim and Dexcom
    MDI 2006-2009, Medtronic pump 2009-2011, MDI 2011-2013, OmniPod 2013, T:Slim 2013-2015, MDI 2015-2016, T:Slim 2016-present
    Other AI issues: Diagnosed with Graves' disease and juvenile idiopathic arthritis in 2014 and cholinergic urticaria in 2016.
    DS (15, diagnosed at 10) OmniPod and Dexcom

My lean daughter wears her dexcom exclusively on the back of her arms. No issues with swim team, volleyball, snowboarding, windsurfing , amusement park...

We lose signal sometimes with water sports due to out of range, but not the ???, and the readings came back when she was back in range with the receiver.
    Mom to a sweet 13 year-old child, was diagnosed at age 10 on 12/4/13
    Started with Humalog and Lantus.
    Diagnosed with Celiac on 2/18/14
    OmniPod since 3/26/14
    Dexcom G4 since 4/11/14

Resounding yes! My son has been playing a season of full tackle American football without issue while wearing his sensor on his upper arm. IMHO, wearing it on the belly is much worse, since that skin tends to flex a lot while the kid is active, while the skin on the arm is very static.
    Dad of 8 yo T1D boy, diagnosed Jan 2015.
    Pumping Humalog with Animas Ping.
    Dexcom G4 with Share2.

Yes - Carson is very active and always worn the sensor on the back of the arm. No issues besides keeping the tape to stay sticky on when he sweats and swims in the summer.
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 as an adult. T-Slim, Dexcom
    Mom to Carson, age 16, dx'd at 9 months. Pumping since age 4, currently on T-Slim, Dexcom. Addison's disease 1/15
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 13, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

Thanks everyone, and Sarah, also hope Ben would not have trouble with a sports bra

Last question for now - how much subcutaneous tissue can you pinch up on the back of the lean teenager's arms? I can certainly pinch up some but not masses on the back of his arm.

Thank you
    Kind regards

My son uses only the back of his arm for dexcom. The only issue we had was with the deodorant. After a few dayw it would come off. Now he uses a roll on and problem solved!
    Katerina mom of Paul 17yrs dx @ 7 on 13.12.2007 currently using Levemir, Novorapid, Actrapid and Dexcom! and to Philip age 14 nonD

Quote Originally Posted by suej View Post
    Last question for now - how much subcutaneous tissue can you pinch up on the back of the lean teenager's arms? I can certainly pinch up some but not masses on the back of his arm.
    Danielle often uses the back of her arms with no problem. During tennis season she is very active and has no problems. We use SkinTac and tape and it works out fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to pinch up a lot of skin. The sensor isn't that long and simply goes under the skin. I rarely even pinch up skin when I do a sensor insertion and it's fine.
    Last edited by Christopher; 12-06-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015