advertisement

Thread: Implanted cgm?

Default Implanted cgm?

I was recently told that there was a study done back in the mid 90's for an implanted cgm. The story was, it worked really well, but the company decided there wasn't enough money in it, compared to cgm we use now and test strips, etc. so they discontinued the pursuit.

Has anyone heard of this? I saw the person who told the story, and while I didn't see the scar from the implant (which had of course been removed), someone else I talked to saw it. So I believe it really happened.

My question is about the reason for stopping the study. While I am not naive, it's hard to think that such a great solution would be halted purely for profits. I just keep thinking, surely someone out there could find a way to make it financially feasible. There must be more to this story.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks.
    DS age 14 dx'ed 9/09 Pumping with MM 5/11-9/15
    Started Pumping with t:slim 9/15
    Started Dexcom 10/15

This company is developing a fully implanted CGM that will supposedly last over 1 year.

http://glysens.com/
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015

If you get a scar every 1-2 years, what would your skin look like after 20 years ? 10-20 scars ? I'm assuming they can't reuse implant sites due to scarring.
    DD Dx Feb 2011
    t:slim x2/Novolog
    Dexcom G4

Quote Originally Posted by sparty87 View Post
    If you get a scar every 1-2 years, what would your skin look like after 20 years ? 10-20 scars ? I'm assuming they can't reuse implant sites due to scarring.
    This may not be the case; the long-lasting sensor might be able to be placed nearby through the original incision. Or scar tissue might be able to be resected/removed. Or some people may not develop scar tissue surrounding the implant after one year. I suspect a lot has to do with how easily each individual scars. I know that some people that "overuse" sites don't develop any lipoatrophy/liopdystrophy, while others that rotate "religiously" do develop these problems. My daughter has had several extensive orthopedic surgeries and her surgeon has "reused" the same places where the initial incisions were made whenever possible to minimize her scarring.

Besides, lipoatrophy/dystrophy has a lot more to do with repeated injections of insulin (either via syringe or canula) as opposed to the instrumentation itself. That's why I worry less about running out of "real estate" for my daughter's Dexcom sensors and only use the backs of her upper arms for these.

Thanks for the link, Christopher!
    Mother of two wonderful daughters:
    *T age 14 - dx'd 01/24/2014 at age 11.5
    MDI: Humalog & Lantus 01/24/2014 - 06/04/2014
    Dexcom: G4 05/02/2014; G4 with Share 03/11/2015; G5 10/07/2015
    OmniPod with Humalog 06/05/2014; Apidra 09/12/2014
    *C age 27 - reactive airway disease; married 08/30/2014