advertisement

Thread: We finally solved my younger son's Dexcom allergy!

Talking We finally solved my younger son's Dexcom allergy!

Some background. Younger son tried Dexcom seven 7+ in 2009. After about a month he developed an allergy like looked like a chemical burn. I posted back then pictures and things we tried to solve it. Could not figure it out and moved him back to Abbott Navigator until it left the US. Love/Hate relationship with that thing. After that we moved him to Minimed Sof sensor and the Guardian. He had no allergy problems with that CGM. Then moved him to ENlite with the 730g. We had tried Tough pad years ago. We may have tried Flonase once? Not at the same time with Tough pad. Friend of mine suggested trying the two things together. That worked perfect. So I had bought the G4 system again this year trying things. We first apply flonase and let it dry. Then apply Johnson and Johnson Tough pad after warming it in my hand. I then apply Dexcom. We shoot straight through, no hole punched out. I actually think he skin looks better after wearing the tough pad. Older son Has been wearing Dexcom since 2009 , no allergy for him. So Enlite goes on the shelf for now. Maybe indefinitely . Oh, we apply strips of Opsite on the edges of Tough pad to make sure it does not lift up.

There was someone else back then on here that could not find a fix. It was a dad, not sure his name or if he is still on here. If you are , give this a try.
    DS1, 20 yr old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09,Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12,
    DS2 , 17 yr old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm,Navigator 9/08-5/09,Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,MM 730g 12/13,Dex 8/15,

That is what we do with the only exception being we have a prescription for Flovent, an asthma medication, which is a powder and goes on dry. Works like a charm.
    Dad to a child diagnosed on 11/27/13 (he was 11 at the time)
    MDI (Lantus and Humalog) 11/2013 to 8/2015
    Tandem Tslim 8/2015 to present
    Dexcom G5

Sorry all. I know this is an older post...

esc1516, That may have been me. My son was at the endo this morning and she said to try Flonase for infusion sets because sometimes like look really bad and have been hurting him. So I searched here to see if anyone has used Flonase in a similar situation. Glad to hear it worked out for you. Considering this post is a year and a half old, is this situation still working for you? I have heard of others using the tough pad but cutting a hole. Have you had any issues without cutting the hole? Thank you.
    Son dx 9/2010 at 10 months old.
    Pumping with ping