advertisement

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Dexcom announces partnership with Google

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    385

    Default Dexcom announces partnership with Google

    http://www.ardensday.com/blog/google-dexcom

    Bring on the popcorn! This is going to be interesting!
    Dad of 8 yo T1D boy, diagnosed Jan 2015.
    Pumping Humalog with Animas Ping.
    Dexcom G4 with Share2.

  2. #2

    Default

    Thanks for posting. Not sure if this is good news or bad but either way, you are right, it will be interesting.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Thanks for posting. Not sure if this is good news or bad but either way, you are right, it will be interesting.
    On paper it's very good news. For example, it gives them access to Google's Android technology allowing them to build a much smarter device. Also, it allows them access to Google's hardware technology and they can borrow designs used in for example smart watches to help them build devices that are smaller while more powerful.

    If you think about it, the only thing in a Dexcom different from a smartwatch or phone is the sensor itself and the software. Everything else could run on a standard Android device platform. This would allow Dexcom to put more resources into developing the sensor, while google worked on the platform.

    I can't see any downside to it.
    Dad of 8 yo T1D boy, diagnosed Jan 2015.
    Pumping Humalog with Animas Ping.
    Dexcom G4 with Share2.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by njswede View Post
    On paper it's very good news. For example, it gives them access to Google's Android technology allowing them to build a much smarter device. Also, it allows them access to Google's hardware technology and they can borrow designs used in for example smart watches to help them build devices that are smaller while more powerful.

    If you think about it, the only thing in a Dexcom different from a smartwatch or phone is the sensor itself and the software. Everything else could run on a standard Android device platform. This would allow Dexcom to put more resources into developing the sensor, while google worked on the platform.

    I can't see any downside to it.
    Good points. As long as it works with Apple products as well, I am all for it.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 18 years old
    Diagnosed 17 Aug 2007
    MDI (Novolog and Levemir) Aug 2007 to Aug 2015
    Dexcom G5 System with Share 22 Jul 2015
    Omnipod 11 Aug 2015

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Good points. As long as it works with Apple products as well, I am all for it.
    Google has always proven very open to making their products broadly compatible with Apple products. Google Play, Google Books, Google Maps, Google Music, Google Voice, etc, all have apps in the App Store. You can easily sync your Google Calendar with iCal and the iOS calendar app. Same with Gmail contacts. My sister is employed by Google and her work issued computer is a MacBook Pro.
    Type 1 adult, pumper
    Animas Vibe with Humalog
    Dexcom G5

  6. #6

    Default

    Hey I hope it works out! There is real capital there, and talk about a way to make a difference.
    Dad to a child diagnosed on 11/27/13 (he was 11 at the time)
    MDI (Lantus and Humalog) 11/2013 to 8/2015
    Tandem Tslim 8/2015 to present
    Dexcom G5

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    385

    Default

    From the press release: "Initial products to be developed under the agreement will focus on minimizing both the cost and size of CGM body worn components. The products will be designed to be disposable, and will be intended for use across all diabetes markets. The goal is to empower more people to control their diabetes with real-time and actionable information by developing a low-cost, small, bandage-sized sensor that is connected to the cloud. By addressing these needs, we believe we will have the platform that can replace finger sticks and become the standard of care."

    Daddy likes!
    Dad of 8 yo T1D boy, diagnosed Jan 2015.
    Pumping Humalog with Animas Ping.
    Dexcom G4 with Share2.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    491

    Default

    In addition to Scott's podcast, there is also this coverage of mine at DiabetesMine on this Google-Dexcom partnership -- http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmi...-diabetes-tech
    Michael
    A 38-year-old Type 1, diagnosed at age 5 in 1984
    Diabetes Advocate, Writer and Managing Editor at DiabetesMine.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
advertisement