advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware: TSA agents can be real jerks

Default Beware: TSA agents can be real jerks

Denver airport has full body scanners only. DD, traveling alone, requested a pat down and TSA agent tries to bully her to go through the scanner, says doctor and pump manufacturer are wrong. DD stands firm, so all carry on is searched, after going through xray, and glove tested. DD given pat-down. Something (pump supplies?) tests positive so 2 more pat-downs and carry on searched again. DD, crying, is worried about missing flight and TSA agent tells her to stop crying and bitching. NICE!

Took 45 minutes.

According to Diabetes Mine in Feb 2011, ADA and TSA agreed to: No more excessive screening of all carry-on baggage because you use an insulin pump.

Not all TSA agents got the memo or care to follow the rules.

Is there anyone to complain to? or is it just a too-big, over-bloated government run outfit that doesn't really care?

So mad!!
    Last edited by KRenee; 01-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.

On the ADA website they have these guidelines: http://www.diabetes.org/assets/pdfs/...-sheet-tsa.pdf

You'll see on there that they ask that anyone who was subjected to excessive searches to contact them and they give the number. So I'd give them a call.

The info to report it to TSA is on there also.

Sorry they did this.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 13, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; T-Slim started 2/15; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (17) not D

I'm sorry to hear about your DD'd experience . That should have NOT happened.

I haven't had any bad luck through DIA myself. However, I must admit...I don't mention my pump. I just walk through the scanner.
    Danielle, 24
    Dxd, T1, 4/21/08
    Revel 3/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle2008 View Post
    However, I must admit...I don't mention my pump. I just walk through the scanner.
    Do you go through the back scatter machine with your pump?

Quote Originally Posted by KRenee View Post
    Do you go through the back scatter machine with your pump?
    I know your question wasn't directed on me, but I have gone through one several times with my medtronic pump without issue.
    Type 1 adult, pumper
    Animas Vibe with Humalog
    Dexcom G5

We go through DIA all the time. Molly now says that she would like to "opt out" of the full body scanner and have a pat down instead. Anyone is legally allowed to "opt out" and that might keep the whole "you can go through with your pump" at bay. Some TSA people are nicer than others, but most are put out to have to call someone for a pat down. FWIW, Molly used to go through the full body scanner (unbeknownst to us ) and her pump began to malfunction last year by not alerting to low cartridge...replaced it...realized she was going through the scanner and called Animas who said the pump needed to be replaced again!
    mom to Molly, 24, dx 7/9/10
    Pumping with Animas Ping 11/10
    Pumping with T:slim 11/14
    Dexcom G5 8/16
    Dave, 28, non D
    Wife to Bob...great guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by funnygrl View Post
    I know your question wasn't directed on me, but I have gone through one several times with my medtronic pump without issue.
    For some reason, Medtronic doesn't mind...but Animas does!
    Dexcom G5 8/16
    Dave, 28, non D

Quote Originally Posted by obtainedmist View Post
    For some reason, Medtronic doesn't mind...but Animas does!
    Yeah, I'm sure all of the pumps are electronically a bit different.
    Type 1 adult, pumper
    Animas Vibe with Humalog
    Dexcom G5

We use Medtronic and were told under no circumstances to let the pump go through. The Cgm should be turned off as well. Either way I would report the issue to the proper authorities.
    Ti'sMom

Mother of 3-
    Tristan 9 dx 8/21/12 T1D Pumping with Blue Paradigm Real-time Revel Minimed w/CGMS
    MDI Lantus and Humalog 8/21/12-12/13/12
    Zachary DS 19 non-D Happy to be in his first year of college
    Jordan DD 23 non-D My saving grace and Tristan's "2nd Mom"
    Married to Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Ti'sMom View Post
    We use Medtronic and were told under no circumstances to let the pump go through. The Cgm should be turned off as well. Either way I would report the issue to the proper authorities.
    Good to know!
    Dexcom G5 8/16
    Dave, 28, non D