advertisement

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by khannen View Post
    Abbott's first response was basically as if she hadn't heard anything about it. Once she understood that both items numbers are the SAME, she realized my problem and I was given to a manager. Apparently, they are going to swap out the 800 strips I just bought with 800 of the old version. I could not get a straight answer on if the 'old' strips are still being made.
    So Abbott is going to send you the old version? The person I talked to said they didn't have any to send me, or they would. So frustrating, it all depends on who you talk to....I will have to try again.

Are the new strips working on your Navigator? If so, can you test on that every time, or no?

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Daugher (8) dx type 1 (10/06), dx celiacs (1/10), Omnipod 10/2007, Navigator CGM 11/2008
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

Emmabella's Believers JDRF Videos
    Believing in a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwZs1y_pVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56w5W_qKnXI

Default Follow up to new FreeStyle test strip issue

I just spent several hours talking with Insulet, Abbott, and Aetna about this issue. After several weeks of being aware of the issue, not one of these companies is taking responsibility for solving the it.

Insulet said they are filing for FDA approval to use the new strips. They gave no estimate of whether this would be expected to take weeks, months, or years. Of course from their point of view, it's not their fault Abbott changed the strips. Maybe not, but they chose to embed a FreeStyle meter and should keep up with product changes. I have tried several times to at least get them to post a message on their support website.

Abbott said they are not responsible for Insulet getting approval or for the pharmacy shipping the "wrong" strips. The new strips are approved for use in the Abbott meters that they sell. What kind of partner are they? However, in new information to me at least, they explicitly said the company is NOT discontinuing the "old" strips. They suggested I talk with the pharmacy (Aetna Mail Order) and tell them to carry old strip.

Aetna said they only carry one strip (the new version), don't know anything about the problem, won't reimburse for the "new" strips they already sent out, and won't take the strips back ("against the law"). One person suggested I just go to different pharmacies and buy them on my own. Real helpful. They said to file a grievance.

A big, confusing, circle. We are all left with no solution.

I just spoke with someone at Abbott and they once again told me the strips could not be used in the PDM, they suggested I see if my pharmacy can special order the old strips for me (still using CVS), I doubt that will happen but I guess it is worth a try. They did refer me to the Promise program as they could let me know where to find the old strips, but she wasn't really sure if they were still making the old strips.

The person I spoke with did tell me that the old strips could still be used in the Flash Meter - the last person I spoke with told me they could not be used in the flash meter. Anyone else know if they can be used in the Flash meter?
    ~Jill~
    Tyler - Dx 2/10/10 at age 9 (5 days before 10th birthday)
    Omnipod since 8/25/10

Quote Originally Posted by aml View Post
    A big, confusing, circle. We are all left with no solution.
    Exactly! And just HOW do you go to a pharmacy and order 'old' strips when the dang item number is the same for old AND new strips? The person who takes my order at Medco is NOT going to have the box of strips in her hand at the time my box is packed so she can tell me if it has a little butterfly on it. The only chance is to get lucky and fine somewhere local that has old boxes on the shelves. That would be fine aside from the fact that my insurance doesn't pay unless I use mail order. It shouldn't be this difficult! Lol
    Kaycee- wife to Louie since 1998, daughter to Papa Jack (T1 since 1956, age 4),
    and mother to:
    Kaitrinn - 13 yrs old
    Shealyn - 10 yrs old (dxd 02-09-07, Cozmo, Navigator, and Guardian in the past, and now pumping with Omnipod since Summer '09 and on Dexcom G4 cgms since Fall '12)
    Gavin- 7 yrs old

What a mess!!! So how is the FDA going to approve a strip that is so inaccurate, is this the real reason it is not FDA approved to begin with? If they are continuing to make the old strips, then why do they have the same product #? As if they have been replaced with the new and improved strip? Please tell me why no one (Abbott and Insulet) cares!!!!

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Daugher (8) dx type 1 (10/06), dx celiacs (1/10), Omnipod 10/2007, Navigator CGM 11/2008
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

Quote Originally Posted by jill View Post
    The person I spoke with did tell me that the old strips could still be used in the Flash Meter - the last person I spoke with told me they could not be used in the flash meter. Anyone else know if they can be used in the Flash meter?
    I called Abbott from Walgreens and they said to buy the Freestyle Freeedom Lite, even though the package clearly reads on the front "Use only with Freestyle Lite Test Strips". Another unknown...

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

All of this chatter from the different parties is maddening. If Insulet is filing for FDA approval then that implies the strips work fine and it's a paperwork issue - which I tend to believe. Also, pharmacies CAN'T order old strips since Abbott is using the same NDC number and every pharmacist I have spoken to including Medco agrees. It also REALLY infuriates me that I spent two and a half hours on the phone with both parties and all I got was 200 old strips and a new meter and 900 new strips which they are NOW telling people not to use?
    Stay at home Dad to son, 16.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog Humalog since 1/16
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013 Now Dexcom G5

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Quote Originally Posted by TRICIA4 View Post
    What a mess!!! So how is the FDA going to approve a strip that is so inaccurate, is this the real reason it is not FDA approved to begin with? If they are continuing to make the old strips, then why do they have the same product #? As if they have been replaced with the new and improved strip? Please tell me why no one (Abbott and Insulet) cares!!!!
    I don't think it's that no one cares. I think that (inconceivable as it might seem) no one at Abbott appeared to take into account the fact that they partner with a company who has a product that is only FDA approved to use the old strips. I'm sure Insulet is furious about this. Especially if the new integrated Dex/Pod PDA currently under FDA review was produced only for use with the old strips.

There is a word for Abbott Diabetes. It starts with "cluster" and ends with "uck."
    Mom to J., age 13
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G5 CGM (current)

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    All of this chatter from the different parties is maddening. If Insulet is filing for FDA approval then that implies the strips work fine and it's a paperwork issue - which I tend to believe. Also, pharmacies CAN'T order old strips since Abbott is using the same NDC number and every pharmacist I have spoken to including Medco agrees. It also REALLY infuriates me that I spent two and a half hours on the phone with both parties and all I got was 200 old strips and a new meter and 900 new strips which they are NOW telling people not to use?
    I was told pretty much just that from Insulet. That basically it is just a matter of paperwork. They told me that if the box says you can use it with the freestyle flash meter (and it does!) then there is no reason it wouldn't work in the pdm since they are the exact same!

eta that I also used the testing solution today on the new butterfly strips with our pdm and got a reading of 90 which is fine! I am really confused why it seems as though only select pdm's are having problems and not others!
    Veronica 36 Military wife to Matt married for 18 years
    4 children Alexis 17yrs (GAD POS beginning July 2010) officially diagnosed 11/25/13 pumping omnipod and CGM Dexcom G5, Blake 14yrs, Tyler 12yrs and Matthew 11yrs dx'd @ 9mon old pumping Omnipod and CGM Dexcom G5

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post

There is a word for Abbott Diabetes. It starts with "cluster" and ends with "uck."
    I couldn't agree more...

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!