advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Are the new strips working with the Navigator? We were on the Navigator, but now we are on the Dexcom. I was calibrating the Dexcom with the readings from the Omnipod, so it screwed up our CGM readings as well...until we figured this whole mess out! I went to Walgreens and bought a freestyle freedom meter, to get by. That was the most advice Abbott gave me, and said they would mail me a free one, which would get here in a week! Another week of inaccurate readings, no thanks. Otherwise those strips are no good to us, and I have a 3 month supply!

Let me know what they tell you tomorrow...very very frustrating.

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Daugher (8) dx type 1 (10/06), dx celiacs (1/10), Omnipod 10/2007, Navigator CGM 11/2008
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

Emmabella's Believers JDRF Videos
    Believing in a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwZs1y_pVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56w5W_qKnXI

Quote Originally Posted by TRICIA4 View Post
    Otherwise those strips are no good to us, and I have a 3 month supply!
    For one you have a brand new meter that the strips ARE approved for so I'm thinking they are good for something.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 16.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog Humalog since 1/16
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013 Now Dexcom G5

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

That must be so frustrating. I am surprised that Abbot would get the new strips passed without making sure they worked with devices like the Omnipod, etc. It seems they wanted to speed up the approval process. I would definitely let the FDA know about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    For one you have a brand new meter that the strips ARE approved for so I'm thinking they are good for something.
    Which is why I said "otherwise". Other than using the new meter, the strips are no good to us. There are many reasons why we are on the Omnipod, and one of them is so we can test on it, and not have to carry around a seperate meter, and manual enter in BS, which by the way, increases the probability of error.

I am happy that you are not experiencing the inaccuracies that many others are, but that is no reason to scrutinize me. It certainly doesn't mean that you won't experience this in the future. I would continue to do your comparisons every once in a while...

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Daugher (8) dx type 1 (10/06), dx celiacs (1/10), Omnipod 10/2007, Navigator CGM 11/2008
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

Emmabella's Believers JDRF Videos
    Believing in a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwZs1y_pVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56w5W_qKnXI

Unless they start producing the old strips again, Abbott is kind of screwing Omnipod. How are they supposed to market their system when there are no FDA-approved strips to use with it? I bet Insulet is P.O'd about this.
    Mom to J., age 13
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G5 CGM (current)

I am also getting readings of 30 points lower each time (same blood sample). I went looking for a Freestyle Freedom meter and all I can find is the Lite version. Very frustrating. I think my next call is to Abbott to see if I can get a meter from them. I am almost out of the old strips, so I need to get moving. On a positive note, the new strips are great - my son loves them.
    ~Jill~
    Tyler - Dx 2/10/10 at age 9 (5 days before 10th birthday)
    Omnipod since 8/25/10

We just discovered an issue with the Freestyle strips as well, although we do not use the Omnipod. We ordered strips through Express Scripts and they sent us "Freestyle" test strips (the new ones with the butterfly). They looked like the old strips and fit fine into our meter (we use the Freestyle Lite). However, we then received another supply of strips from ES and those strips were "Freestyle Lite" test strips. When my DH called ES to question the difference, we were told that both sets of strips should work fine and the only reason the first box didn't say Freestyle Lite was because they weren't approved by the FDA yet? So of course I freaked out because we have been using the "wrong" test strips for a month and K doesn't use the CGM yet so we have no clue if her readings have been skewed or not!

Very frustrating!
    Katie
    Proud mommy to Kaylee Ann, 4 (dx 6/13/2009, day after her first bday) Pumping MM revel 9/15 (Humalog), MIO
    and Tommy, 2 (non-D)

Which is why I said "otherwise". Other than using the new meter, the strips are no good to us. There are many reasons why we are on the Omnipod, and one of them is so we can test on it, and not have to carry around a seperate meter, and manual enter in BS, which by the way, increases the probability of error.

I am happy that you are not experiencing the inaccuracies that many others are, but that is no reason to scrutinize me. It certainly doesn't mean that you won't experience this in the future. I would continue to do your comparisons every once in a while...
    I'm not scrutinizing you. I agree with you on the convenience and absolutely would not want to have to use a separate meter. I am confused, however, with why one strip would work fine on one device and not another.

I am wondering if anyone is using new, fresh control solutions to test the units side-by-side? I caution using blood unless it's a nice big drop and the two units are nearly simultaneously used to get a sample - from the same finger stick. Are people remembering to change the code each time if they happen to be different. Another thing to caution is that, with only two meters it's virtually impossible to pick the "correct" one.

I intend to do another side-by-side comparison for my own sanity.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 16.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog Humalog since 1/16
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013 Now Dexcom G5

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    Another thing to caution is that, with only two meters it's virtually impossible to pick the "correct" one.
    I had two meters with strips in them ready and waiting. Big blood drop and then immediate back to back readings. The difference was over 40 points! However, I tend to believe the Omnipod reading was the false one as the other was right on with her Navigator. If it was just one or two readings out of whack, I would think it was a fluke, but this is happening with almost every test now. There is clearly something wrong here!

I spoke with both Insulet and Abbott this morning. Insulet's immediate response was do NOT use the new freestyle strips with the Omnipod pdm. When I asked how users were supposed to know that, she stammered and said she had heard it would go out in a 'pod watch' newsletter shortly. She also said she has been dealing with many customers with the exact same problem for the past few days. They have just been calling Abbott together and getting replacement strips.

Abbott's first response was basically as if she hadn't heard anything about it. Once she understood that both items numbers are the SAME, she realized my problem and I was given to a manager. Apparently, they are going to swap out the 800 strips I just bought with 800 of the old version. I could not get a straight answer on if the 'old' strips are still being made.

It's great that you can cover me for the next 3 mths, but THEN what? I know I can use a different meter and manually enter a BG, but at this point it's the principle behind it. You have a partnership with Insulet for equipment that uses 'Freestyle' strips and then change the strip so that it can't be used?? The Abbott manager (and Insulet rep) both told me that it wasn't approved by the FDA for use with Omnipod. Hello people!??!
    Kaycee- wife to Louie since 1998, daughter to Papa Jack (T1 since 1956, age 4),
    and mother to:
    Kaitrinn - 13 yrs old
    Shealyn - 10 yrs old (dxd 02-09-07, Cozmo, Navigator, and Guardian in the past, and now pumping with Omnipod since Summer '09 and on Dexcom G4 cgms since Fall '12)
    Gavin- 7 yrs old

Are the new strips working with the Navigator?
    Not too sure on that one. Abbott makes the navigator so I'd like to think it would work with their own equipment! I had a heck of a time calibrating with the new strips yesterday though. It kept failing and telling me to redo it 1 hour. This went on for 5-6 hours. The numbers were accurate each time though and within just a few points of each other. In this case, it looks like the blood reading was right but something was causing an error anyway. There have been times when I've had a calibration fail once or twice, but never to that extent before.
    Kaycee- wife to Louie since 1998, daughter to Papa Jack (T1 since 1956, age 4),
    and mother to:
    Kaitrinn - 13 yrs old
    Shealyn - 10 yrs old (dxd 02-09-07, Cozmo, Navigator, and Guardian in the past, and now pumping with Omnipod since Summer '09 and on Dexcom G4 cgms since Fall '12)
    Gavin- 7 yrs old