advertisement

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Default Omnipod Users: New freestyle butterfly strips readings are inaccurate

Abbott has stopped making the traditional freestyle navigator strips that are used with the Omnipod. They have been replaced by the new Freestyle Butterfly strips. These strips are not FDA approved for use with the Omnipod, and many users are reporting inaccuracies when using the new strips vs. the old strips, or any other test strip and meter. Here are a few examples:

Omnipod with butterfly strip BS 50
    Omnipod original freestyle strip BS 89
    Butterfly strip with Freestyle meter 91
    Accucheck meter and strip 92

This is just one example of the inaccuracies we have noted. If you call Abbott, they will refer you to a person who will try to track down old strips to use with the Omnipod until they resolve this issue. We just received a 3 month supply of butterfly strips, and our mail order pharmacy does not have any more of the old ones. They have instructed us to buy a freestyle freedom and test with the new strips, and manually enter the bs into the Omnipod.
    This is so frustrating, but scarier yet, they are not notifying Omnipod customers that this is going on. But call them, and they are well aware. Please double check your blood sugar readings if you are using these new strips with the Omnipod.

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Daugher (8) dx type 1 (10/06), dx celiacs (1/10), Omnipod 10/2007, Navigator CGM 11/2008
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

Emmabella's Believers JDRF Videos
    Believing in a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwZs1y_pVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56w5W_qKnXI

I haves spoken with Abbott and the Omnipod people about the strips and both of them basically told me that they just were not supposed to recommend omnipod users use the new strips because it wasn't a part of the FDA approval but that the PDM and the Freestyle flash are made with the same parts and basically the strips should work fine. I too have done side by side comparisons with the flash and the PDM with the same strips and the results were exactly the same on both occasions! I believe that another member here has done their own test as well will similar results. The new strips seemed to be very accurate. I really hope that the FDA will hurry up and get this cleared up.
    Veronica 36 Military wife to Matt married for 18 years
    4 children Alexis 17yrs (GAD POS beginning July 2010) officially diagnosed 11/25/13 pumping omnipod and CGM Dexcom G5, Blake 14yrs, Tyler 12yrs and Matthew 11yrs dx'd @ 9mon old pumping Omnipod and CGM Dexcom G5

I'm not sure what to think...I know several individuals that have reported the same inaccuracies that we have. I believe it is something people should take note of, and be aware of. I know that the people I spoke to at Abbott and Omnipod have had many reports of users complaining of inaccuracies. Perhaps its random, depending on the vial or the strip... I just need to know I can trust it, and now I don't.

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Daugher (8) dx type 1 (10/06), dx celiacs (1/10), Omnipod 10/2007, Navigator CGM 11/2008
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

They are still making the 'classic' strips.. you need to make sure that wherever you get your strips from that they know this and order you the 'classic' (without the butterfly) strips.

I have not found them to be inaccurate:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...d.php?p=666188
    Stay at home Dad to son, 16.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog Humalog since 1/16
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013 Now Dexcom G5

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

Even if the meter in your OmniPod isn't reading the same as others you're testing against, you don't have to use the OmniPod meter. We have never used it. We always enter the BG.

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 15-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook

Just for the record, I did another comparison this afternoon. This is the third time that the butterfly strips were exactly 30 points lower than the original strips. 30 points makes a huge difference to us! Each time giving us a low BS when she was actually in perfect range. Also keep in mind, she can tell when she is low, and felt fine at the time, which reassures me that the original is the accurate one, not the butterfly. Abbott told me when I spoke to them on friday, that they cannot send me the original strips because they are no longer making them and have been replaced by the butterfly. I also tested each strip with control solution and the butterfly tested 82 (which is not in the normal range, but not low either, the original tested 92, which is normal range.) Any insight to why some people are having issues, and some are not?

Tricia
    Mom to~
    Son (7)
    Daughter (5)
    Daughter(2)
    Happily married!!

I would like to know why some people are having issues and others not as well! I also tested them out again this afternoon on my son and the flash meter said 130 and the pdm said 127. It is really odd and if Abbott is not making the original strips anymore then surely they are good strips. They are approved in the flash mete which is the same as the pdm.
    Veronica 36 Military wife to Matt married for 18 years
    4 children Alexis 17yrs (GAD POS beginning July 2010) officially diagnosed 11/25/13 pumping omnipod and CGM Dexcom G5, Blake 14yrs, Tyler 12yrs and Matthew 11yrs dx'd @ 9mon old pumping Omnipod and CGM Dexcom G5

hmmm....this post really got to me because we just had our endo appt. and the CDE checked our meters for accuracy against her, official meter and she said that we had greater than 20% discrepancy and she wanted to check again. The second check showed a 19-20% difference, which apparently, is acceptable. (for example, PDM Freestyle butterfly strips = 172, doctor's meter = 225 *I'm going off of memory*) I'll be calling Omnipod right now.

Michelle
    DD Annabelle 8 dx'd 3/07 Omnipod (7/10), cutest giggle ever!
    DD Mallory 4 non-d, fun & spunky

I'm glad to read this thread. I thought I was just losing my mind instead. We just got the new butterfly strips last week. There have been several times over the past 3 days where the new strips haven't seemed accurate. Shealyn uses Navigator cgms and tests on her omnipod for mealtimes were 20-50 points off! Usually, it's almost right on and within 10. Unfortunately, I only had a few tests strips of a different kind for a backup so I now have nothing to compare it too. On to plan B and a few phone calls tomorrow I guess. Great... ugh
    Kaycee- wife to Louie since 1998, daughter to Papa Jack (T1 since 1956, age 4),
    and mother to:
    Kaitrinn - 13 yrs old
    Shealyn - 10 yrs old (dxd 02-09-07, Cozmo, Navigator, and Guardian in the past, and now pumping with Omnipod since Summer '09 and on Dexcom G4 cgms since Fall '12)
    Gavin- 7 yrs old