advertisement

View Poll Results: How much did A1C change after at least 3 months of CGM use (based on most recent A1C)

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • A1C dropped more than 1.5%

17 13.18%
  • A1C dropped between 0.5% and 1.5%

70 54.26%
  • Little or no change (less than 0.5% change)

25 19.38%
  • A1C increased between 0.5% and 1.5%

10 7.75%
  • A1C increased more than 1.5%

7 5.43%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Poll: A1C change after using CGM

Quote Originally Posted by albasmom View Post
    I already voted a long time ago, but since then we have seen a drop again, and our most recent A1C is 5.5. This was after we got the Guardian as an extra monitor, and I really think that made a difference, with the predictive alarms.
    My goodness; that is incredible, especially for a child so young! Any particular tricks? Is she on a low-carb diet? How long do you prebolus by? Do you have set basals, or do you change them multiple times per day according to the trend on the CGMS? Does she go low a lot?

Sorry for the 20 questions! I'm just intrigued when people manage to get A1Cs in the non-diabetic range without a lot of major hypos.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Thanks Emma.

She is not on a low-carb diet, but her daily intake varies a lot. She eats most of her carbs at breakfast, and lunch in kindergarten, and a snacks in between, which are mostly ricecakes

The only meal we prebolus, is breakfast. We try to prebolus 15 minutes. We didn't used to do that, but then celiac came a long, and the glutenfree toast is evil. If we get the prebolus right, she usually doesn't spike above 12 (200) and she comes down nicely.

We have 9 basal rates right now, but we also use temp basals to take the top of the spikes, and if she is trending low.

I wouldn't say she goes low a lot, but there can be time periods where we see her around 3.7-3.9 (66-70) a couple af times a day, but I don't really consider that a low. We still have lows, but not near as many as we had prepump, and precgms. Back then she was often below 3.0 (50), somtimes multiple times a day. We still see that kind of lows, but they are rare because we can usually catch them, especially now when we have the predictive alarms on the guardian.

And the months before this A1C we had a long period where she would hold steady at night around 5.0 (90) all night, and we had a really good breakfast period where she didn't go above 8.0 (144). It's harder now but I expect that we can keep her A1C under 6.0.
    Anne-Sofie, mom to:
    Alba 9 yrs old; dx type 1 diabetes 08-07-2007,
    dx celiac 05-27-2010
    pumping MM522 04-07-2008 CGMS 02-19-2009
    Using Apidra
    Silja 7 years old; non-d

Quote Originally Posted by albasmom View Post
    Thanks Emma.

She is not on a low-carb diet, but her daily intake varies a lot. She eats most of her carbs at breakfast, and lunch in kindergarten, and a snacks in between, which are mostly ricecakes

The only meal we prebolus, is breakfast. We try to prebolus 15 minutes. We didn't used to do that, but then celiac came a long, and the glutenfree toast is evil. If we get the prebolus right, she usually doesn't spike above 12 (200) and she comes down nicely.

We have 9 basal rates right now, but we also use temp basals to take the top of the spikes, and if she is trending low.

I wouldn't say she goes low a lot, but there can be time periods where we see her around 3.7-3.9 (66-70) a couple af times a day, but I don't really consider that a low. We still have lows, but not near as many as we had prepump, and precgms. Back then she was often below 3.0 (50), somtimes multiple times a day. We still see that kind of lows, but they are rare because we can usually catch them, especially now when we have the predictive alarms on the guardian.

And the months before this A1C we had a long period where she would hold steady at night around 5.0 (90) all night, and we had a really good breakfast period where she didn't go above 8.0 (144). It's harder now but I expect that we can keep her A1C under 6.0.
    Thanks. My snacks are mostly ricecakes as well, lol. I spread marmite on them.. Really good stuff.

The majority of what you wrote is actually pretty applicable to me, when I'm wearing the CGMS (I don't have full-time coverage, and when I'm not on it I see quite a lot of lows below 3.0 and highs above 15.0 pretty much daily ).

I think I need to work on the overnights (lows and highs). Staying flat overnight would be awesome. I used to see it a lot (my fasting BGs were super-predictable at being between 4.5 and 5.5) but not so much anymore.

I think perhaps I need to compile some evidence of my BGs on and off the CGMS, and prove to the national health service over here that they should cover more than 10 sensors in a six month period.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Yeah I know what you mean about coverage. We are not getting ours covered by our health service, but our municipality ( I don't know if that's the right word. The council in the town/region we live) covers it under the section in the law, that also covers our other expenses due to diabetes (insulin, opsite and so on) We managed to get it covered that way, after fighting the health service 8 months and paying oop. I don't know if you have something similar, you could try.

When we are taking a break, our numbers look like yours. It really makes a difference.
    Anne-Sofie, mom to:
    Alba 9 yrs old; dx type 1 diabetes 08-07-2007,
    dx celiac 05-27-2010
    pumping MM522 04-07-2008 CGMS 02-19-2009
    Using Apidra
    Silja 7 years old; non-d

let's try this again...

Gracie's been on the Navigator since 3/09. Her A1c's were already good (6.4-6.8), we got it because she's hypo-unaware (seizure 5/08) so she was testing a lot, and because we wanted to sleep better.

She still tests a lot. Sleep has improved, even though we still get up for her alarms.

But her A1c yesterday was 6.0! Kind of freaky.
    Agnes
    Mom to Gracie (age 16), dx 8/2/07
    Cozmo from 1/3/08-6/2012. Animas Ping on/off from 7/2010, full time 2012-today.
    Navigator from 3/4/09-1/2011. Dexcom 7+ 1/2011-1/2013. Dexcom G4 1/2013-today.

Gracie's JDRF Walk 2013 Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8Wti_meVI

I didn't vote back in 2008, when I started using the Guardian with an A1c of 6.3 and a few months later was at 6.6. But I wasn't using it continuously at that time. My A1c rose during the entire period I used the Guardian (6.3, 6.6, 6.9 and 7.2).
    I stopped using it and had A1cs of 6.4, 7.0, 7.0, 7.1 and then 6.6%. All of these were blood draw A1cs.

The 6.6% was four days before I started using the Dexcom, on September 1st. In early November I saw from here the ad for a free fingerstick A1c and got one; it came out 6.1%. Two weeks ago, a full three months after starting the Dexcom, I had a blood draw A1c like usual, and it was 6.2%!!!

Anyways, I don't think either the Guardian or Dexcom has nearly as big an impact on my blood sugar as my digestive problems do (and they started up right after I started using the Guardian in 2008) but I think they helped even though I've voting <0.5%.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13