advertisement

View Poll Results: How much did A1C change after at least 3 months of CGM use (based on most recent A1C)

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • A1C dropped more than 1.5%

17 13.18%
  • A1C dropped between 0.5% and 1.5%

70 54.26%
  • Little or no change (less than 0.5% change)

25 19.38%
  • A1C increased between 0.5% and 1.5%

10 7.75%
  • A1C increased more than 1.5%

7 5.43%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: A1C change after using CGM

mine increased as still is but it is because i am not having so many lows.

Emily DOB 8-23-1988
    Type 1 since April 21,1998

Pumping with Omnipod since Sept 2008 had a Minimed before that
    CGMS since March 31st 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Armyemily View Post
    mine increased as still is but it is because i am not having so many lows.
    We'll find out shortly at the next endo appointment, but I suspect the A1C will increase because of detecting lows like Armyemily. My son has used it intermittenly a couple of months.
    son/27 dx'd 6/06 Pumping Novolog: Omnipod and Dex G4

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    We'll find out shortly at the next endo appointment, but I suspect the A1C will increase because of detecting lows like Armyemily. My son has used it intermittenly a couple of months.
    Will be interested to hear how it turns out... for the vast majority, even though lows are avoided, A1C drops signficantly.

This is because low's are usually recongized symptomatically and recovered from quickly after eating, whereas highs often
    go undetected for long periods of time inbetween BG checks, and take a long time to recover from due to the insulin action
    time. So you might be surprised by good news! Please post here when you know.
    My daughter Leah was dx at age 8. Has used the Omnipod since 2007, Guardian 2007-2013, Dexcom 2007-present and sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Will be interested to hear how it turns out... for the vast majority, even though lows are avoided, A1C drops signficantly.

This is because low's are usually recongized symptomatically and recovered from quickly after eating, whereas highs often
    go undetected for long periods of time inbetween BG checks, and take a long time to recover from due to the insulin action
    time. So you might be surprised by good news! Please post here when you know.
    Think a large part of my 5.8 was a combo of being able to catch lows and very finely adjust basals, bolus, and food combinations along with learning how to keep my post-prandials down by pre-bolusing when "needed" on foods I know make me spike. According to my meters (I use multiples b/c of the varied work & exercise activities... but One Touch Ultra for cgm calibration) my bg avg for the last 18 days was 112.5 & 115 for the last 30. A1c shows lower than those avg's likely b/c of a "bad day" here and there. With the cgm, even during the bad days, my bg would run sub-200... That makes a big difference!
    Jimmy Dodson -- RDU, NC
    T1, dx'd Oct. '95
    Cozmonitor pump w/ Apidra

www.type1rider.org
    http://theopportunitytoplay.blogspot.com

I am new to using the CGM. About a month. My A1c's have been in the low sixes since starting pumping six years ago. I was sevens, eights and nines before pumping with a pretty tight diet and exercise routine. I also do not expect a lower A1c because of the CGM but I have loved the lower instance of low numbers. My average meter readings have been in the below 115 range over the past five years and still around 112 after starting the CGM but I know I have fewer lows. I have not learned anything new about spikes or how to correct. I have for many years tried to have my two hour number be under 130 and that has not changed. But I am really hoping my overnight numbers will get figured out so i can SLEEP. And I hope to reduce my number of highs due to bad sites etc. I love being able to exercise without so any finger checks. I have had couple of bad nightime lows while on the CGM that where not detected so working on learning how to set the alarms to pick up. I figure I will need a year of working with this to get it really working. Ali

Sean's last 2 A1Cs prior to CGMS (and pump) were 7.8 and 7.3, first 2 after have been 6.1 and 6.4.

Unfortunately, we did not have an A1C in between going on the pump and going on the CGMS. So, I don't know how much to attribute to the pump and how much to the CGMS.

I feel like the CGMS has been a great help though.

The amount of data you can see between the CGMS and CareLink is just phenomenal.
    Steve, Dad to
    Sean age 16 dx 12/27/2006
    Aaron age 15 non-D

MM Revel 6-6-2011
    MM 523 6-8-11
    MM 522 1-30-08
    MM CGMS 3/27/08
    Guardian (parental monitor) 10/28/2010

Dexcom G4 3-29-13

Today's endo appointment revealed a 0.5% decrease in Mia's A1C (with virtually no lows at all..I think we have had less than a handful of numbers < 60 since we started the Navigator!). We only started to use in on Mia in mid-August, so it's barely been 1 1/2 months!

A1C went from 7.0 to 6.5
    Marisa
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Proud Mom to:
    Mia DOB 8/25/01, dx 10/08/04
    Pumping Animas since 5/16/06
    Apidra since 6/22/09
    Little sister Ciana DOB 3/01/03, rebel
    Happily married to Erich since 5/28/00

Quote Originally Posted by hold48398 View Post
    Today's endo appointment revealed a 0.5% decrease in Mia's A1C (with virtually no lows at all..I think we have had less than a handful of numbers < 60 since we started the Navigator!). We only started to use in on Mia in mid-August, so it's barely been 1 1/2 months!

A1C went from 7.0 to 6.5
    That's wonderful news Marisa.
    son/27 dx'd 6/06 Pumping Novolog: Omnipod and Dex G4

Our a1c in the first three months went from 6.9 to 6.7. I was pleased that it stayed close to the same or even dropped a little. We used to have several episodes a week were his bg would be below 50. We have elminated all the lows. Looking over our data from carelink reports, there have been no incidences of bg below 70 while on the cgms. Endo was very pleased.
    Son dx 2007, Pumping 2007
    Cgms 2008 Minimed Revel Pump 2010
    6mm Mios

We were pleased with our A1c even before starting to CGM and it remained good. The primary reason for the CGM was improved quality of life, meaning fewer finger pricks and less worries.