advertisement

View Poll Results: How much did A1C change after at least 3 months of CGM use (based on most recent A1C)

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • A1C dropped more than 1.5%

17 13.18%
  • A1C dropped between 0.5% and 1.5%

70 54.26%
  • Little or no change (less than 0.5% change)

25 19.38%
  • A1C increased between 0.5% and 1.5%

10 7.75%
  • A1C increased more than 1.5%

7 5.43%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: A1C change after using CGM

8.9 May 08 Started CGMS the following week.

7.4 Aug 08
    Loren
    Chase - born Oct. 5, 2005; diag May 23, 2007
    Pumping with MM523 (Apidra) - 11/14/07 and CGMS 5/14/08 Now using a Dexcom G4 "We Love the Cloud!"
    Katelyn - born June 27, 1994
    Wife to Todd (NSULIN)

Thanks everyone! Keep the #'s coming as you get them (This poll is ongiing, set to not expire).

So far it looks like the people who had the most A1C reduction are the ones who started with A1C's above 7.5. People with A1C's in the 6's seemed to stay about the same, but had fewer low's. Looking forward to seeing even more data and comments!
    My daughter Leah was dx at age 8. Has used the Omnipod since 2007, Guardian 2007-2013, Dexcom 2007-present and sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Hailey's A1C went up a little but she was also having dramatic lows and severe highs. Her A1C appeared good but she was a mess. We are still striving to get back into the low 7's but puberty is making things extremely difficult. We have had a 9 since starting cgms but that was also during a really big growth spurt and we were without an endo for 2 of the 3 months, since we had not experienced such dramatic growth effect I was having difficulty without help

We have not seen a low below 50 since starting the cgms
    Nicole
    Hailey~14~type 1 diabetes diagnosed Friday October 13, 2006~Minilink started April 24, 2007~Pump start May 22nd, 2007
    Apidra start Friday May 30th, 2008
    Mackenzie~12~
    Izabella~5 years~Kawasaki disease dx Saturday June 13th 2009 I
    [/url]

"Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told."-Helen Keller[/CENTER]

I didn't respond to the poll, since we haven't had 3 months on the CGMS yet, but being on the CGMS for a month reduced our A1c from 6.8 to 6.5. I don't really expect it to go too much lower than that. We're dealing with a 4 year old who can't feel his lows or highs, and who is completely dependent on us to make adjustments. Also, I work part-time, so he's with caregivers who just aren't as...well, they're not as good at his control as I am. That's not a knock on them - I'm just around him more and have better instincts than they do.

That is not to say that CGMS hasn't been very good for us. Our standard deviation is really, really good (most days in the 30s), and it has warned us of many lows that I doubt I would have caught otherwise. A1c is only part of the picture, for sure.
    Mom to J., age 13
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G5 CGM (current)

Nicole,

Don't you just hate those growth spurts. I end up struggling with numbers for a couple of days and then "hit hand on forehead" - must be growth spurt! Are you also in the mist of puberty????
    Loren
    Chase - born Oct. 5, 2005; diag May 23, 2007
    Pumping with MM523 (Apidra) - 11/14/07 and CGMS 5/14/08 Now using a Dexcom G4 "We Love the Cloud!"
    Katelyn - born June 27, 1994
    Wife to Todd (NSULIN)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    Nicole,

Don't you just hate those growth spurts. I end up struggling with numbers for a couple of days and then "hit hand on forehead" - must be growth spurt! Are you also in the mist of puberty????
    No kidding! She is prepubescent but the endo says it will be any day because she is cycling with her hormones I swear, every time we get things right the very next day she either quits growing or starts hormonal things
    Nicole
    Hailey~14~type 1 diabetes diagnosed Friday October 13, 2006~Minilink started April 24, 2007~Pump start May 22nd, 2007
    Apidra start Friday May 30th, 2008
    Mackenzie~12~
    Izabella~5 years~Kawasaki disease dx Saturday June 13th 2009 I
    [/url]

"Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told."-Helen Keller[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Tau1061 View Post
    My A1c has been between 6.3 to 6.0 for the last 3 years while on my pump vs MDI (with MDI it varied from 6.2-7.1)... checked every 6 months. I'd have to go dig up my records to find the exact dates corresponding to the #'s. Last check was 6.1 in Feb.

New check in 2 weeks... first since using my cgm regularly, so I'll let you know the result then.
    At my endo appt today... A1c = 5.8!
    Jimmy Dodson -- RDU, NC
    T1, dx'd Oct. '95
    Cozmonitor pump w/ Apidra

www.type1rider.org
    http://theopportunitytoplay.blogspot.com

WOW..that's fantastic!
    What's your secret?
    Dana's Dad, Ed
    Dana, dx'd T1 on 4-20-2006, T:slim pumping after 8 years on MDIs'.

"We are all presented with a series of opportunities, brilliantly disguised as unsolvable problems." - Anonymous.

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes!
    www.HelpCureChildhoodDiabetes.org

Quote Originally Posted by My_Dana View Post
    WOW..that's fantastic!
    What's your secret?
    Lots of testing, tweaking temp basals & carb ratios based on activity, and the trend info from my cgm. Plus, the consistent activity & workouts creating a "smoothing" effect even though I sometimes have to eat more to keep from dropping low.

It's not something special, just lots and lots of practice in conjunction with data logging to see "what happens" and making adjustments in the future based on what I've seen.
    Jimmy Dodson -- RDU, NC
    T1, dx'd Oct. '95
    Cozmonitor pump w/ Apidra

www.type1rider.org
    http://theopportunitytoplay.blogspot.com

3 people have now reported A1C's in the 5% range using a CGMS...
    My daughter Leah was dx at age 8. Has used the Omnipod since 2007, Guardian 2007-2013, Dexcom 2007-present and sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS