- advertisement -

Zane just went to the ER...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Zanesmommy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

Zane had a fever yesterday afternoon and refused to eat dinner. His BG was ok at that time. He went to bed early. He woke up around 11 and was watching TV with my husband and I heard him crying all of a sudden around midnight. He was throwing up.

We checked BG and Ketones, BG was around 250 and ketones were 1.7! We got him to drink some water and other beverages. He seemed like he was doing ok, BG and ketones were coming down slowly.

Then he threw up again a bit later. Off to the ER he went, with my husband and dad. I am still nursing Savannah so it is hard for me to be away from her for long periods of time. I am trying not to second guess my decision to stay home rather than go in with them.

I am hoping/praying that he just needs some fluids and can come home in just a couple of hours.

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

((HUGS)) Tracy, I know it's hard when our babies are sick, but he's in good hands, I'm sure. Praying it will be quick in the ER.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

HUGS!! I hope everyone's back from the ER very soon.

4. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Tracy,

He sounds like he is in very good hands, and you should not second guess yourself! (I think we all have a tendency to do that)

Please keep us update!

I pray he is home soon

5. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Hey Tracy
    Keep us posted, call me if there is any thing we can do to help...

6. linda

linda Approved members

(((hugs))) thinking of you guys!!! Feel better fast Zane!!

7. Zanesmommy

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have been texting back and forth with my dad.

They started the IV and did some blood work. They have decided to keep him for 24 hours. :(

Last BG check was 220 and 2.1 ketones. They both went up higher than that and are now coming down.

The nurses got mad at my husband for giving Zane insulin through his pump when they got there. But they were not doing anything for his 360! Crazy.

Will keep everyone posted. Clearly, I am not sleeping as I should be. :) I will be feeding the baby soon and then heading up to the hospital.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is the pump site gone bad?

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

sorry he had to go to the ER but sounds like a good choice.. hope he's home soon!

10. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Good luck!!!

11. Toni

Toni Banned

I am glad they are keeping an eye on him in the hospital. Hope Zane is better soon.

12. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Hope he feels better soon!

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

hope he feels better!!
    I can't believe the nurse got mad that you wanted to give insulin.

14. etringali

etringali Approved members

Hope Zane gets better fast. Tell the nurse to stuff it. You guys know WAY more about D and Zane's requirements than she ever will.

15. shekov

shekov Approved members

Glad he didn't wait to give insulin but I would have suggested a shot.

If I had waited for the staff to give dd insulin for her high bg/ketones on our ER visit she literally wouldn't have gotten ANYTHING for almost 2 hours.

I think they were relieved not to have to deal with the insulin to be honest with you.

Hope everyone is home soon and healthy. I think you absolutely made the right choice to stay home with Savanah. Sounds like your dad and dh have it under control.

16. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

I hope he is feeling better real soon. ((HUGS))

17. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

I hope he is feeling better soon.

18. Zanesmommy

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers. Here is a quick update on Zane that I posted on FB:

Just came home to nurse Savannah. Zane is doing better. Ketones are down and he has kept his breakfast down. :) He should be able to come home this afternoon. Please continue to pray that he continues on this path so we don't have to spend the night in the hospital.

Will post more later. :)

19. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Poor little dude. Ava gets ketones quite easily. Whenever she gets a cold, I check even when she is in range.

The tail end of her last cold her numbers were perfect, but her tummy hurt and sure enough, 1.6 ketones. :eek:

We've had a bag packed twice to go in for a glucose drip, but fortunately, were able to bring the ketones down with lots of juice and insulin.

Hope he feels better soon! You made the right call.

20. Zanesmommy

Thank you all again for your thoughts yesterday. We came home around 6:30pm last night. We had to convince the pediatrician at the hospital that we could handle his D better at home than we could at the hospital. She thought she knew more about D than I did. I was really not happy with her.

We have learned a lot and can hopefully avoid the ER/ hospital in the future. I am just glad he is back to his old self now and doing great. :)