- advertisement -

You've Gotta Be Kidding Me!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by austin_calebs_mom, May 23, 2009.

1. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

It's been over 2 weeks and my insurance still hasn't approved the request for more test strips! I went in on Thursday to ask..they haven't even approved a refill. He was almost out (again since we've been testing Caleb more) and we don't see the endo until Tuesday, so the pharmacy just gave me another bottle of 50. This is just getting beyond rediculous (sp?). I don't know why they won't just let the pharmacy fill the original 100 that they approved when Caleb was first diagnosed, but apparently they're waiting for the paperwork from the endo. This is the third time my insurance has requested the paperwork and the third time Caleb's endo has sent it. I'm trying to be patient, but when my son's life depends on this stuff, it's kind of hard to not get ticked off.

Thanks for letting me vent! I needed that. :)

2. Noel

Noel Approved members

Kayla,

You might want to ask your endo to change the script to 300 per month, explain to endo that you are having a REALLY hard time getting them and ask them to "up" the amount. Then you would have more on hand.

Just a thought....

3. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

We have gone through problems like that with the strips. Chris just started pumping with the Ping and we are back to using different strips. The new strips aren't coming till this week - 2 weeks after Chris has started! We do have plenty of the old strips for the old meter - but I wanted to keep an acurate record with the new Ping meter. I did decide to buy a couple of 50 containers of strips.

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

What type of strips did you have to change to?

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our doctor wrote our prescription as follows:
    Type 1 diabetes, child must be tested up to 12x's a day. 500 strips required.
    Written that way, insurance didn't even blink. We have it done this way so that we always have an ample supply at home and school.

6. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I just read in a mag earlier about getting through insurance red tape. It said go to naic.org to the your state's insurance rep. CC her when e-mailing your insurer. Also google your state and the term medical society, to find a local branch. Your state officer will answer your questions and petition the medical authorities on your behalf. I hope this helps :(, I don't know if you already tried this.