advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Thoughts on China's Stem Cell Educator Therapy Clinical Trial

Discussion in 'Research' started by Turtle1605, Dec 9, 2013.

1. jjsteuer

jjsteuer Approved members

Thank you bijanrad

With the close of 2015 I would like to thank Bijanrad (others?) for posting detailed information re their educator experience. Please keep the information flowing. It is hope for many of us; including my 23 year old daughter (diagnosed age 3).

2. dawnweatherwax

dawnweatherwax New Member

So this process is only trying to address the autoimmune attack.
    Once the 'attack' is turned off, ...then we can turn to beta-cell growth/replacement.

Does this process 'turn-off' the autoimmune antibodies?
    ...or just turn-on more regulator T-cells to balance the immune system?

Bijanrad,
    When your daughter was initially diagnosed, did they run blood-work to identify which autoimmune antibodies are present?
    After the China trip, has this test been repeated? I'd be curious if the antibodies are still present or not.

Thanks...

3. jjsteuer

Bijanrad - do you have recent or additional information

Bijanrad - do you have recent or additional information? Your information has been extremely helpful. Anyone else have recent information or access to research results? Thanks - Jeff

4. NelleRain

NelleRain Approved members

More News - Tianhecell Stem Cell Therapy

I found that the FDA approved Phase I/II trials? Is this new information? It states May 16, 2016? I regularly look at their website to see if there were any changes. It must have just been updated even though the date states May 16, 2016. If anyone has new information on this I would love to hear about it.

http://www.tianhecell.com/blog/2016...ell-educator-therapy-for-type-type-1-diabetes

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

here is the record from Clinicaltrials.gov

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02624804?term=stem+cell+educator&rank=5

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So bijanrad, it has been a year since you have posted anything about your daughter. It seems like there are many people on this site who would like to hear how things are going, if your daughter is still "diabetes free".

You indicated that you were visiting UCLA for a C peptide check and that you would share those results with the forum. That was one year ago this month.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  7. jjsteuer

Hello Bijanrad and others - do you have updated information? Anyone else involved first hand with the stem cell educator have updated information?

In Fall 2012 Dr. Mark Atkinson was funded by JDRF to evaluate the stem cell educator; page 5 of this link details the anticipated work: http://www.jdrf.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Top_Research_Highlights_Fall_2012.pdf.

The JDRF research site details Atkinson lay abstract but not the results: https://jdrf.smartsimple.us/ex/ex_v...ITRgTeFlfSxVeQhBPQ1FRY1B0GnhjEWFdV0ZCY11aRA~~
    Does anyone know the results of Dr. Atkinson's assessment?

JDRF - if you track this blog - could you weigh in?

Thank you in advance - Jeffrey Steuer

8. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

The NYC news station ran a short story on the topic a few months back (UCSF's version and stem cell educator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTK6QNfO79k

I too am still waiting to hear the results of Atkinson's work.

9. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

The research being done at UCSF is not the same as the stem cell educator. Although they are both cellular therapies, they use different cells in different ways. For example, in the UCSF treatment, the patient is infused with their own cells, but in the the Educator, third party stem cells are used, but they are not infused into the patient.

As for Atkinson's work, I remember talking to someone (but can't remember who), who thought that the research was done, but nothing publishable had come out of it. But I don't remember who it was or what any of the details were. Sorry.

Joshua Levy

10. bijanrad

bijanrad Approved members

Sorry for the absence . The latest C Peptide shows that there has been a moderate drop . Present number is 0.95 . A1C is about 5.7 . So she is still in "honeymoon " . The amount of insulin intake has not changed . Beyond this information I do not have anything to share . Again I am sorry for the absence . Bijanrad

11. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

I believe you were back from China around March 8th 2014, and now in October 14th 2016 (2 1/2 years later) your A1c is 5.7%, C-Peptide 0.95, no changes in Insulin. Do you recall the starting C-Peptide number?

By no means a strict reference, but with my kid just diagnosed in June 2008, we had C-peptide peaking at 1.1 - A1C: 8.7%.
    Then a large period at around 6.7% for A1c, and then 2 1/2 years later A1C in January 2011 was 7.3% and C-peptide 0.4 (actually 2 years after).
    The last C-Peptide I did (if memory serves me well) was below the 0.1 detection threshold of the lab. I cannot recall the date right now but it was few years ago. When I'm back from travel I'll look at the lab results, as I have quite a few C-peptides through the first years, since we've participated of the Teplizumab clinical trial (a monoclonal antibody).

Point is, your C-peptide looks good for 2 1/2 years. Dr. Zhao's 0.97 vs. Teplizumab 0.4 (dropping from 1.1 in 2 years)

Thanks for sharing the information. Best regards, Ed.

12. jjsteuer

Thank you Bijanrad - - Encouraging information

Binjanrad - thank you very much for the update. Encouraging results. My daughter (23 yoa) has been T1D since age of 3. For her the honeymoon is long past. But if she were to receive (or regenerate) islets this procedure holds hope for islet retention. Anyone else aware of recent results from the "Stem cell educator" work?

Binjanrad - any side effects from the treatment whatsoever? Thank you once again for your information. Hope.

Jeff

13. jjsteuer

A few thoughts and questions re the recent Dr. Zhao’s paper:

https://www.researchgate.net/public...let_Mitochondria_Expand_Islet_b-Cell_Function

1. If I understand the paper correctly - - the four year follow-up study was conducted on 9 of the 17 T1D. Seems 3 of these were recent onset (honeymooners) back in 2010/2011 – and these three had benefit from the treatment (fig 1B); subjects 1&2 produced substantial insulin (C-Peptide) after exposure to glucose. Appears the 6 long-standing T1D subjects did not do well – their data are not presented. First paragraph (page 1689) states established T1D will need multiple treatments…. No more info re that.

2. I don’t know how significant the mechanistic findings are– the platelet changes and migration – can any of you provide information re this?

3. Bijanrad – If I recall correctly your daughter was recently diagnosed when she received the treatment; is that correct? Has her insulin need remained stable?

4. To all readers - - I appreciate any information that can be passed along re the stem cell educator procedure and results.

14. ibelieveinacure

ibelieveinacure New Member

hi, just started researching this....any updates? I will go wherever in the world for a cure for my son.

15. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members