advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Thoughts on China's Stem Cell Educator Therapy Clinical Trial

Discussion in 'Research' started by Turtle1605, Dec 9, 2013.

1. bijanrad

bijanrad Approved members

Ok. I think we need to settle this discussion once and for all. My comment that "a Chinese Dr. told me that a Chinese boy had been cured" was generated based on a question posed to me in this site . I had asked this same question from the head of the division at Changsha hospital and these were her exact words. Now what part of this is "irresponsible"?. If you ask the same question from the international team working in this field, many of them may say , based on their findings, there has been some success stories and some drawbacks like the latest trial in Spain. I have also asked this same exact question from Dr. Zhao. He has also responded that in fact some patients have stopped insulin intake altogether. A person must use his or her own intelligence to put all the facts together before coming up with an opinion. Before we travelled to China, I spoke to many researchers in this field. Some were skeptical and some supportive. We took our chances knowing that the procedure may or may not work . The result of many trials for this procedure are published . Some are good and some are not. No one is fabricating any story. It is all there for the ones who care enough to read them . I thank you for your well wishing for my daughter and I hope some day we all have good news to share.

2. bijanrad

I have spoken with Dr. Mark Atkinson number of times. I asked him this same question, He told me that the test result for "in vitro" were favorable but he cautioned " there is a big difference between in Vitro and In vivo" . I do not know if the results were ever published . I suppose we can send him an e-mail.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

hey bijanrad,

I was just wondering how things have been going with your daughter. Any change in status?

4. bijanrad

The fasting blood sugar reading remain unchanged . The amount of insulin intake has not changed . We plan to visit UCLA DR. next month. I will share with you the C peptide reading as well as A1C .

bijanrad

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sounds like things are going well. I'm trying to understand the impact of your post but it is hard without some information to put it into context. Information like:
    When was she dx.
    When did she have the procedure.
    When was her last A1c and what was it.
    How often do you check her fasting bg?
    You say it is unchanged, do you mean from the time of the procedure?
    I think you said before that her fasting bg was between 105 and 120. Are you saying she never goes above or below that range ever or just fasting.
    Do you check her bg a few hours after she eats.
    Is she on MDI or a pump.
    Does she use a CGM.

If you put some basic information about her in your signature it would be very helpful and allow people to have the proper context.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I am so impressed that things are going so well! Congratulations!

7. sszyszkiewicz

yes and thanks for sharing your experiences.

By way of reference my son was diagnosed a few months before your daughter. We came home on 8 units of lantus per day. He is now up to anywhere between 20 and 22 units. The ratios have not changed much, except mornings where we are down to 5 to 1.

So if her TDD has stayed the same for these past 18+ months, whatever the reason, that is great news.

8. bijanrad

I would like to wait and share the solid medical results such as A1C and C peptide. However, for now :
    When was she dx. Dec 2013
    When did she have the procedure. March 2014
    When was her last A1c and what was it. Most recent one about three months ago 5.7
    How often do you check her fasting bg? Every morning
    You say it is unchanged, do you mean from the time of the procedure? yes
    I think you said before that her fasting bg was between 105 and 120. Are you saying she never goes above or below that range ever or just fasting. Correct it fluctuates between 95 to 120
    Do you check her bg a few hours after she eats. No
    Is she on MDI or a pump. No Pump
    Does she use a CGM. No

Father to child diagnosed December 2013
    bijanrad

9. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

No disrespect intended, but how do you know she doesn't go below 95 or above 120 between fingersticks without using a CGM?

10. Ernst

Ernst Approved members

Chinese people and stem cells is a bad combination.

11. sszyszkiewicz

That was rude....and ignorant.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Would you like to share your rationale for that statement? Meaning, what makes you believe that?

13. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Right, in the country with the largest population in the world, there can't possibly be any smart, ethical scientists. :confused:

14. NelleRain

NelleRain Approved members

15. sszyszkiewicz

I dont know how positive this was. The article states:

"Additionally, no changes were observed in fasting C-peptide levels of severe long-standing Group B patients with no residual pancreatic islet β cell function after receiving two SCE therapies (Table 2, Table 3). Their responses to SCE therapy were strikingly different from that reported in long-standing severe Chinese T1D subjects (Zhao et al., 2012, Zhao, 2012). The potential mechanisms underlying this difference need to be explored."

16. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with sszyszkiewicz (darn it, get a name that's easier to spell .) Doesn't seem very promising for our T1D kids who have been running this marathon for awhile...

17. sszyszkiewicz

A nice find by NelleRain !

18. pdx_dc

pdx_dc Approved members

disappointing

That's dissapointing :-( I was really hoping that this research would go somewhere better. How did the Caucasians behave so differently from the Chinese - maybe try the stuff on Indians next? or maybe how there was something else different about the way they did the study? I don't know..

19. pdx_dc

pdx_dc Approved members

well, maybe it's not completely lost cause.. they are saying "it reversed autoimmune T-cell memory" whatever that means... obviously needs more work before beta cells can be regrown. Will wait to see what happens in the future.

20. jjsteuer

jjsteuer Approved members

Thanks also to NelleRain for linking the paper.... possibly great results?
    Effector memory cells (assist in immune attack?) showed a constant decline even out to 56 wks (44 weeks after the 2nd treatment) - fig 3f. Maybe beyond?
    And CCR7 expression (fig 4c,d) showed constant increase out to 56 wks; maybe beyond? Increase of CCR7 is a good thing (fig 7; may lead to evacuation of infiltrated autoimmune cells)?
    So a corrected immune system coupled with beta cells regenerated from an agent (JDRF and others currently making progress) - possibly the stem cell educator may be part of the solution.
    Encouraging.