- advertisement -

Young son hungry at night...or is he?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brace2, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Brace2

Brace2 New Member

My 5 year-old son was just recently diagnosed Type 1 and lately, as he's laying in bed, he's been saying that he's hungry. His blood sugar doesn't indicate that he's low and I'm not sure if he actually is hungry or just using that as a procrastination technique. Anyone had the same experience?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome:) If your son was recently diagnosed he may very well be hungry much of the time. Before diagnosis, the food your son ate wasnt doing its job. He may have lost some weight as many CWD do before diagnosis so he may be catching up now and putting on some weight. Does he get a snack before bed ever? This may be something to discuss with the endo to see if a small snack could be added.

3. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I agree with Becky Stevens mom. David was 6 when he was diagnosed and prior to that he was always hungry. It's like no matter the amount of food we gave him, it just wasn't enough and as a result he did a few pounds. This continued well past a few months after diagnosis and he'd also wake up in the middle of the night saying he was hungry. He'd always had a snack at bedtime and we just made sure to give him something solid that could last him till morning.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I agree with Becky and Gina. My son ate like nothing I had ever seen for the first few weeks after dx. Our endo said to let him eat and dose for it. His body had been starving itself before dx, and it was just reestablishing the balance it needed.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't recall my son being that hungry after being put on insulin, but maybe my memory is bad, but at 5yr old I would think it's also totally normal, due to maybe a big growth spurt going on? I would make more dense meals or give a filling post-dinner snack.

6. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

My son lost over 10kgs before diagnosis and was always hungry. After being put on insulin, he was ravenous, and need to be to replace the weight he had lost.
    I would do as the previous poster suggested - make more dense meals and make sure he has a filling snack before bed.
    Unfortunately, if he says he is hungry, you really can't ignore it - just because he wasn't low last time he said it doesn't mean he isn't low the next time:(

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I lost one third of my body weight when I was diagnosed (from a healthy 120/130lbs to an incredibly unhealthy 84lbs). I was incredibly hungry in the weeks following, because my body was getting back to a healthy weight. It's very normal.

8. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

my 7 year old is still "starving" all the time 1 1/2 years after Diagnosis. I still debate every day if he really is, if it is his body feeling a drop, or if he is trying to procrastinate.

We met with the dietitian for advice. In our case, she said if he is so hungry he will eat vegis and salad and healthy choices once his carbs reached their limit then he really must be hungry. At bed time he will eat practically a whole meal worth. It is an issue we are constantly working on. I dont want to teach unhealthy eating habits. But on the other side, my 7 year old only weighs 43 pounds. I have recently considered moving dinner from 5:30ish to 6:30 or 7 instead, then right off to bed-no need for snack. I can not get him to eat more than 35-40 grams carbs at dinner then he gets full and is hungry less than 2 hours later. He has always preferred to eat 6 small meals rather than 3 big meals and small snacks inbetween.

When ever I do not address my son's complaints, he ends up low or sick. I ahve to really get better at trusting his instinct.

Good luck!

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Let him eat

I echo what everyone says. After my son was diagnosed at 3 - he ate nonstop all the time. They say the body has to recover from starvation mode.

Now that he is 5, I find that he goes through growth spurts or something.He will eat light - and then in the next month or two he seems to eat non-stop. Our ENDO said not to worry about him eating unless he had a weight issue, which he does not.

Let him eat -

10. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

My ds 13 ate like a horse after diagnosis. He was 5'7" and had dropped down to 91 pounds. I let him eat whatever he wanted because I knew that he had practically starved to death. We have always (even before diagnosis) had three main meals a day, plus an afternoon snack around three, and a bedtime snack around 8:30. I personally see no reason to cut out an evening snack. It is not easy to try to fall asleep when your stomach is growling.

11. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

String cheese wrappers EVERYWHERE!!

12. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Ditto what everyone said. My DS lost almost 20 pounds, from 65ish pounds to 45ish in a little over a month. He was an eating machine:D! Our Endo said let him eat and dose.

13. Brace2

Brace2 New Member

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. He didn't normally have a bedtime snack before diagnosis but my partner and I've been discussing adding one as a matter of course.

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

same thing with me, I'd never been more hungry in my life=( ... and my dr thought I had an eating disorder:(:rolleyes:

15. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

LOL this is our house! 10 pm check last night....DD says I'm hungry! Here's a cheese stick....now back to bed! :)

16. Jasmine'smummy

Jasmine'smummy Approved members

We've gone down the cheese route too, babybels, cheddar sticks, cheese strings and dairylea triangles are the mianstay of Jazzy's snacking. Along with apples and pears. She's put her weight back on in just under 4 weeks - so am hoping she will stop eating me out of house and home soon!

17. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

Cheese string and juice boxes were two things that I used to only buy if my family was traveling. Since my son was diagnosed they are the two things that we can never be without. Oh, and skittles.

18. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My daughter too had lost weight (55lbs down to 45lbs) and gained 5lbs back the first week!!

Our staple snacks were (are) cheese, slim jims (not so much anymore), graham crackers and peanut butter and of course pickels! Another low carb snack which I don't think would be very filling for bedtime but my daughter loves is berries...blackberries, raspberries etc.

19. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

He won't stay so hungry in a couple of weeks. I'd only feed him at bedtime if he says he's hungry. Parents (at least me) sleep better when there's not IOB at night.