- advertisement -

Young child dies of diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by t1mom, Apr 22, 2009.

1. t1mom

t1mom Approved members

2. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Would you please edit your title so that kids that read this board don't see this pop up as the latest post.
    thanks
    Karen

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is sad, but I am not sure what is the point of posting that here?

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

how utterly tragic.

how easily any of us could have been in that mom's shoes.

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

That is so sad and tragic. It is so important that we get the news out about the symptoms of diabetes so others will know what to look for. My heart goes out to the parents and others who knew this little girl. How Tragic

6. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

I think it's a valid post. This is the reality of Type 1. It's important to know the signs and symptoms of T1. I just can't imagine a BG of 1700 - can't believe it.... She had to have been a sick little girl! :(

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

8. buggle

buggle Approved members

It makes me feel so grateful that Brendan had a slow onset and that we caught it. The most dangerous time for T1 kids is diagnosis. I know it's hard to feel fortunate when your kid has this disease, but we are the lucky ones. Our kids are alive.

9. missincali

missincali Approved members

How heartbreaking.. she was so young and they didn't know. Poor thing.. and a blood sugar of 1700?! For some reason that just didn't seem possible.. my thoughts go to the family!

10. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

That is really sad, and honestly it makes me so grateful that we got Logan seen when we did. We thought he had the flu and thought about waiting and taking him to the Pedi after I got off work. Instead I called in and took him that morning. We were told we were bascially hours away from losing him so had we waited, that could have been us. As it was once we got him there they were afraid he wouldn't make it or would have long term brain damage if things didn't progress properly.

11. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

That is exactly what I was thinking Michelle. It could have been any one of us. So, so sad.:(

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

THings like this shouldnt be happening still. Its an awful tragedy but thank you for posting. We all need to educate the people around us so their children wont get so sick and be hospitalized in DKA, or worse. If people know what to look for they can get their children medical attention immediately. I knew what to look for as my best friends daughter was dxd about 2 years before STeven was. Steven was 167 at diagnosis and never spent any time in the hospital.

13. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

This is us too. Except I should have taken him to the ER during the night but waited till morning to take him to the dr. It took an hour on an insulin drip before they could read a number on their machine "over 1100" is what we were told. It took quite awhile for Sean to start coming around and they did a CT scan to make sure he didnt' have brain damage and Xrays to make sure no internal damage.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I think that parents should consider emailing this story to their school principals, teachers, and nurses... it might raise awareness of the school staff to be on alert for kids at onset of D. Perhaps school staff could pick up on the signs of D before parents do.

I wonder, for example, don't kids have excessive thirst and urination well before BG gets to the 1000+ level? We saw all of those symptoms for a few weeks, and even then her BG was only 600 at dx. Other symptoms could be mistaken for common illness, but not drinking every 5 minutes while at school.

15. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

I am thankful you posted this. We live in Ohio too and had Derek at that very hospital. I am so blessed tonight to hold my child! Derek was DKA when we took him to the ER. Maybe some people tonight will learn and get their children tested! Thanks for the post I am going to share this with our family and friends. What a terrible tragedy for that family!

16. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

In our case Sean showed NO symptoms until the Sat. before he was dx. On Sat. he didnt want to eat and we did notice him drinking and urinating more, but August in TN, playing outside most of the day, you figure it's the heat. He was still playing and running around normal. By Sunday I figured he was coming down with something, still no appetite, wanting to drink only, played outside in the water that evening with dad but was more tired than usual that night, but he didn't rest during sleep that night, so neither did I. Monday he didn't feel well, I was worried about him not eating. The drinking and urinating was him not feeling well and if you are drinking more, you will need to urinate more right? :rolleyes: Giving him pedialyte, jello, juice whatever to keep him hydrated, we both slept that afternoon because we didn't sleep well the night before. I thought it must be a virus, maybe the flu? but would it be this bad? Peds is closed for the day, I'll get him in to see the dr. tomorrow. Overnight Monday, he was restless, started sweating, breathing hard, and his heart was beating fast. But little kids hearts beat faster than ours right? Hurry up morning so the ped will open and I can find out what this is. My biggest guilt I had to overcome is that I never once thought about the ER, like it didn't exist or something, it just was never a thought I had. Tues. morning I took him to a walk in because I couldn't get someone from his peds office to answer the appt. line early enough. I started smelling.... grape pedialyte??? on his breath. Thought that was strange. Got him into the dr. office and they sent us straight to the ER w/o telling us anything more than he was dehydrated and needed to get there immediately. We got the dx in the ER... the rest was posted above.

What seems so obvious today wasn't so obvious then.

17. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I just posted the link on Facebook. I think this is a good opportunity to spread the word.

18. selketine

selketine Approved members

I've met many wonderful, intelligent, loving parents who had a very difficult time figuring out what exactly was "off" about their kids before diagnosis...many with stories similar to yours. It seems the exception to catch it early. And many times even the doctor doesn't recognize the symptoms - that has to tell you something.

Like a previous poster I was lucky also as a co-worker had her 2 year old daughter dx'd with type 1 a few years before William got it and I remember her telling us all about it....and a lightbulb finally went off somewhere in my attic of a brain....

19. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

:( The mother is so brave to share her story. My prayers go out to the family.

20. buggle

buggle Approved members

There was the mom who came on here a few months ago and posted her incredibly heart-breaking story. Her teenager died at diagnosis. It was really brave of her to come here, where we still have our kids. She just wanted to save someone else the agony that she was going through.

Dr. Faustman talks about how diabetes can take years to develop, as the pancreas makes less and less insulin. Kids often get diagnosed when they have a bad virus, because when you're really sick your body needs more insulin and that can push it over the top and cause the diabetes to get really bad in a hurry. Since the symptoms of T1 and especially DKA are similar to the flu, I can see how it's totally missed in some cases until it's too late. DKA can get dangerous so quickly.

I feel so bad for the parents who lose their kids. I know that I missed the symptoms for a very, very long time. I'm just lucky that my kid didn't get DKA.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009