- advertisement -

You know you've been dealing with diabetes for too long...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You know you've been dealing with diabetes for too long when diabetes comes 3rd on the list for class placement for the next school year:p

I guess that's a good thing, the school is well equipped to handle it, my daughter is more than capable for caring for herself. Kind of nice in a way that it's gone to #3 on our list for placement, but kind of sad because we've been dealing with it for so long (8 years June).

So, for all those new to diabetes, this goes to show that it does get easier! It definitely is our "normal."

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is a good thing!:)

3. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Yes we are 2 yrs into this and I just got the placement form to fill out with your wants, desires and needs. I never even thought about diabetes at all this time. This would be her 1st time staying in the same school. After diagnosis we finished out the school year in GA, then moved to Ohio, completed 1 yr school and then she had to move to another school for this school year.

I guess we've gotten used to changing nurses etc so moving up a grade doesn't seem to stress us out!

It's nice to feel like diabetes is in the back pocket for once. :)

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You get to choose? Have input in the matter?

Of course I try to influence the current teacher as to the reasons why I think my dd should be in X's classroom, but I don't find out till a few weeks before school if she got that teacher or not!

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

Never was allowed any say in teachers.... Both public and private schools, three kids and myself. But I do know parents who send letters or meet with the
    Principal in the spring requesting stuff.Ali

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Yeah, we never got to request a teacher in elem school. We did have forms you could fill out stating what qualities you think your child needs in a teacher, but that's it. If you listed any names on the form it would be automatically discarded.

That said it was a small school and the principal and I always met at the beginning and end of the year and I know she definitely considered diabetes in the teacher she placed Lia with. Unfortunately one year that meant we got a teacher who was a dud in other ways. However the other two teachers for that grade were first year teachers and I got the feeling she didn't think they could handle Lia's issues right off the bat. So we got the older, near retirement and it definitely showed in her attitude. Oh well.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Only input. If you even name a teacher, your letter goes immediately into the trash:eek:
    Basically I say that I want my kids (twins) on the same team, a teacher who can handle the occasional interruption that diabetes might bring etc.