- advertisement -

You know you're diabetic when...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Diet Dr. Pepper, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

*You get excited when your pump company comes out with new updates or colors

*You say that you feel ‘high’ in public and then wonder why people around you give you weird looks

*You’ve been known to often say “this one time, at diabetes camp…”

*You think regular soda tastes completely disgusting

*You know what the terms A1C, diabetic ketoacidosis, glucagon, basal/bolus, and endocrinologist mean

*You know the amount of carbohydrates in basically every food known to man

*You have a favorite flavor of glucose tabs (and you know what they are)

*You notice a friend’s been drinking a lot and you automatically assume they must be an undiagnosed diabetic

*You’re parents ask how you’re doing and you tell them your blood sugar

*You have test strips all over you purse, car, and bedroom

*You hear something beep and you wonder if it’s your cell phone or insulin pump

*You think it’s funny seeing the look on people’s fabces when you give an injection in public restroom

*You think of blood sugar not bull sh*t when you see the initials BS

*You use being low as an excuse when you do something dumb, but get extremely offended if you're in a bad mood and someone tells you to test your sugar

*You are abnormally good at multiplying by 15. Thank you carb counting.

2. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

These ones are true (atleast to me)

*You have test strips all over you purse, car, and bedroom

*You hear something beep and you wonder if it’s your cell phone or insulin pump

*You think it’s funny seeing the look on people’s fabces when you give an injection in public restroom

*You think of blood sugar not bull sh*t when you see the initials BS

*You use being low as an excuse when you do something dumb, but get extremely offended if you're in a bad mood and someone tells you to test your sugar

*You are abnormally good at multiplying by 15. Thank you carb counting.

3. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

*you get excited to get a new meter, especially if it is free
    *you get to eat a snack with no shot because you are low
    *"shooting up" means something completely different;)
    *your in school, low, in the nurse's office, excited because you get to miss part of your class
    *When you are out in public and say you are high, you know what you are talking about
    *You find glucose tabs EVERYWHERE
    *regular soda tastes like dish soap:eek: (i know you said something similar)

4. Diet Dr. Pepper

New!!

*Your in your college Psychology class and talking about hormones and The teacher askes you "What controls blood sugar and produces insulin?" and instead of 'pancreas' you say: Fat Pink Cow (my pump's name). Then she gives you a weird look and says that no, the pancreas, not fat pink cows that don't exist.. Then you say "Well, mine doesn't!! That's what Fat Pink Cow is for!" So a student says to you "what? Fat pink cows don't exist!! duh!! And is your pancreas broken or something?" And you reply "No, I just decided to stop using it one day in favor of multiple injections" and all of this is said with a :D:p face... haha

5. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I've got one:
    *Your friends hear the word testing: They cringe and pull out a study sheet
    You hear the nword testing: You sigh and pull out your meter

6. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

LOL. Your "testing supplies" consist of a meter, strips, and a lancing device, not pencil and paper.

7. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

That. Is. Awesome. ROFL.

8. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Hahahahahahahahaha!

9. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

You go to your aunt house and find Lantus and Humalog in the fridge and they have testing supplies and pump supplies in the spare bathroom (and your the only one in the family that has diabetes!!!)

When you get pulled over in the small town (320ppl) you live in and they ask you to step out, you open up the door and a syringe falls out and you nor the officer thinks twice about it because his son and you have the same endo.

When you can tell a cop that you are high and went to bed that way and it be completely legal!

When you eat your food out of a measuring cup and you parents don't tell you to get a bowl/plate/cup

You know the name of everyone the answers the phone at the endo. office

you know what a endo is and what they do.

you know the difference between type 1 and 2

10. Diet Dr. Pepper

*When you're in Biology Lab class and your infusion set gets pulled out, so you put a new one in and it hurts b/c this particular set said "OH! I am SO going to touch some of that muscle, and it's going to hurt! MWAHAHA!" So then you're on your way home on the free way speeding (80 when most are going 73-75 and the real speedlimit is 60) because the stupid set is hurting so bad that you want to change it right then, and you make up a plan incase you get pulled over and it goes like this: Yank stupid hurting retarded set out (while sighing in relief) before the cop gets out of his car, then explain that you're about 45 min from home, and you can only be without insulin for an hour tops (even though that is slightly exagerated) so you get off scot-free!! Oh, I am so evil!:D ...or maybe just really dumb:confused:

11. diamondback688

:cool::D:p

12. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

Hahahaha, I LOVE this thread!!

A few to add:

*You're hanging out with your friends and deciding where to plan lunch when you abruptly say "I need to eat NOW" as they exchange concerned glances and offer to rush you to your restaurant of choice when in reality, you just didn't feel like whatever they wanted.

*You always find diabetes-related junk mail in your mailbox.

*(For the girls) When annoying men ask you "why do you always drink Diet Coke? You're so image- conscious. Girls are always worried about their weight.." you can reply with "I have diabetes" and watch in delight as they turn bright red and mumble an apology.

*You don't mind getting pierced because you are already unphased by needles and tattoos are a breeze because it just feels like a few more injections than normal.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  13. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i love this thread!

here's mine-
    you know you're diabetic when you're playing basket ball with your friends and you walk off w/o saying anything, go talk to your mom, come back eating candy and sit down and watch for 10 minutes. and the boys don't even blink, much less ask you what's going on:cool:

14. diamondback688

I've done that before. :D:p

15. Diet Dr. Pepper

*you look at any electronic device clipped to someone's waist and wonder if it's a pump
    *you never leave the house empty handed (gotta have those good ol' supplies!)
    *you say "free food" and aren't talking about the price
    *you can get out of class w/ just 3 words: "i feel low"
    *the pharmacist recognizes you and knows who you are
    *going to the hospital doesnt mean something is terribly wrong (3month check-ups )
    *you pee on plastic sticks
    *your parents save all the packages from the candy they put in your christmas stocking for the nutrition facts
    *your friend says they feel weak or shaky and you tell them to eat some carbs
    *you're a member of CWD!!!

16. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

LOL, I've had full-blown conversations with the checkout person at the pharmacy I go to, my mom talks to her like forever when we're there.

17. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

You know who Freddy is :p

18. Diet Dr. Pepper

...Who's Freddy??

19. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

20. diamondback688

That's awesome. They pulled a bug out of her ear.