- advertisement -

you know what i just noticed?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kierbabi09, Aug 14, 2008.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

i really hope that it is covered! i don't mind giving myself insulin but i think it would be easier with a pump. diabetes is so darn expensive. you have to pay for strips, ketone strips, insulin, syringes/pens+needles, i don't change lancets often, so i dont use those fast:eek: (i change when i can't get blood:eek:) but there is tons of other stuff!!!! where would we be without insurance? if not for insurance i woulnd't be able to check my blood sugars at all or go see an endo. wow thats a scary thought

2. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Oh, I'm sure they will cover it. As long as your endo is chill, and on board with everything, and writes you a letter of medicak necessity, you shouldn't have a problem. And yes, diabetes is really expensive! And with all the new technology, like cgms, I think it's just goint to get worse!! :eek: Thank goodness for insurance! I'm bad about changing the lancet too, until I got the multiclix. I love it!! Six lancets in one drum. It's amazing..I can't imagine using another lancing device after I have been using the multiclix for about a year now!
    And, it is easier with a pump. You don't have to worrry about forgetting insulin at home, and with the animas especially, you can set such small and precise basal rates! It's an amazing device, and I hope you can get your hands on one!! =)

3. kierbabi09

yeah i ordered a free Accu chec aviva so i could try the multiclix but it never came. so i ordered a new one and the told me no! w/e!
    right now because they put me on the Humalog, my endo wants me to carry glucagon with me wherever i go:eek: i REALLY want a pumpp. cross your fingures!

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

What!?!? Oh, we need to fix this, lol..you must try a multiclix! It is wonderful. I will try to get one out of my endo when I go up there next, and I can send it to you if you'd like. :) I don't understand why your endo wants you to carry aroung glucagon everywhere..I dont, and I don't know anyone who does. What are the chances of someone looking for the glucagon if there is an emergency anyways? I don't know..maybe its a good idea.
    I will definately keep my fingers crossed! I think you'd love the pump, and it would make life a lot easier, and give you some freedom from the injectons! Affter you get use to it, and find an infusion set that works for you, its wonderful!!

5. kierbabi09

thank you. and about the glucagon she wants me to keep one IN school and on me. but i;m really really bad because i don't wear a medical alert braclet. i have one but it makes my arms itchy and it gets these little bumps. November seems so far away!!! i know when school starts it will go faster though! take my mind off it.

6. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I don't wear my medical ID either. :eek: I get yelled at all the time about it too. :rolleyes: Oh, November will be here before ya know it, and then you will be asking "where did the time go?" Lol.
    I do keep a glucagon at the nurse, and one at home, but not on me..I think that is one of my worse fears..having to break out the glucagon one day!! :eek:

7. kierbabi09

i guess it's just because i have the attitude "i haven't needed to use it before/yet" and i know that is the wrong way to look at it! i don't jave ANY glucagon. we did and it expired, and we haven't gotten it filled in oh maybe a year
    i don't wanna ever have to use that stuff! i would so rather be high, well no higher than the 200's, than low. i feel HORRIBLE when i;m low. i don't feel all that bad when i'm alittle high. scratch that! you can't be just a little high! you are either high or not, right? oops:eek:

8. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Haha. I know what ya mean!! I NEVER want to even crack the red case open!! :eek: (though I have...just to see) My favorite blood sugar is 85. I don't know why, but if I had to pick one that I feel really good at, it would be 85! Not too low, and not even close to high!! :D

9. kierbabi09

my favorite is 100. PERFECT. that is not a number i see to often, just 100

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Lol. It is perfect. Thats my target number, and my range is 70-150. :) I don't know whats up with the 85, haha. When I was first diagnosed, I seemed to get that number all the time once I figured things out, and I guess it just stuck! :)

11. kierbabi09

my target is 120, but from being high all the time, i feel low when i'm 120. i've been in range all day, and i've felt low all day.

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Oh, I hate when that happens! The other day, I felt low at 277!! :eek: Thats how high I have been lately!! Running close to 500 all the time, but now we know why, because I'm sick, but still. My pediatrician was like "those numbers are horrific!!" And I was just like...yeah, I know. So, she made me take off of work for the next few days, and thankfully I have a great boss, so he was cool about it. I hate that low feeling!

13. kierbabi09

oh thank god! i now know that i'm not the only 17 year old still seeing a pediatrician:) i thought i was the only one!

14. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Haha!! I never want to leave my pediatrician! I love her!! She said she'll see me until I'm out of college, and I'm not planning on leaving until she kicks me out! :cool:

15. kierbabi09

i don;t really like mine. she's very timid. and when i went and saw the other ped. and said we thought i had diabetes, he didn;t believe us:mad: well i wish i was wrong! i might switch soon, but who knows> i don't go that often, so i don't know if it's worth it to switch right now!

16. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Awe. I hate it when you don't get along with your doctors...kinda like me and my endo..which reminds me...tomorrow I find out if I get to switch to the other endo in the practice!! :eek:

17. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I still see a pedi. I aboslutely love her and am sad that I'll be leaving her in 1 year. I started seeing her freshman year after my old pedi moved, but said I would be better off staying with a pedi. I feel so old when I go there lol the secretaries know me by name and so do some of the nurses its kinda funny. You are not the only 17 yo seeing a pedi.

18. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Lol. I know!! When you walk in there and see the little kids..feel so outta place! :rolleyes: They all know me at my office too, lol.

19. kierbabi09

good luck! let us know how it goes!

i started with mine about maybe 10 years ago. she's not bad, but i could def. do better. i don't know why, but i won't see the guy doctors, they freak me out for some reason:eek: even though my endo (old and new) is a guy:confused: i;m an idiot! lol

20. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I will definately let ya know!! I'm sooo nervous about it though!! :eek::eek:
    And, you are NOT an idiot!! Lol.