- advertisement -

You guys are going to like this one.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bsbllmom, Feb 12, 2009.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

So tell me again why I am subjecting my son to many fingersticks a day if the meter is a waste of time?:confused:

And since Tyler was also dx at the dr's with a meter, given that they are so inaccurate, does that mean he doesn't have D after all!?

2. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

That's as bad as my son's pediatrician REFUSING to test him - because "Type 1 diabetes is not hereditary. If you want to test him with your meter, go ahead. Just let me know if it's high, but I'm not going to test him."

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::mad:

He was fine - thank goodness - but......

The lady I worked with at the time - who had 2 daughters with T1 -- was ready to go back with me to have a talk with him!

Thank goodness he was just 1 in the group of peds. The rest seemed to be better.

Deb

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I just remembered something..
    Phillips doctor gets him to do a fingerstick when we see her every three months, using his home meter. If they were inaccurate why would she do this? And record the reading on his notes?

4. Noel

Noel Approved members

Meter 1st here too, then blood work following that.....

I would love to ask this "dr." a question......My husband has had diabetes for 34 years, all of those times the meter showed high and low readings, he really wasn't???? Go figure apparently he wasn't the meter was just inaccurate? :mad:

5. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

you would think there would be a medical board to report this bozo too...I wonder what other area he is knowlege defficient in...

6. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

My friend talked to her pedi's nurse yesterday and explained everything that is going on. She said that she can understand why she is concerned and will have pedi call back today. My friend asked if they have a regular OTC meter there and the nurse said that is what they use.:confused:

7. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

So they do have a meter and they do use it...hmmm...IMO this Dr. was giving your friend the ol' "everything's okay Mommy" routine without even checking. I got this many times from a Pediatrician for 5 visits over 3 months....turns out my son had cancer the whole time. I really cannot stand Drs who brush off us "Mommies" as if we are all hysterical idiots.

Our pediatric Oncology practice has a special policy of ALWAYS listening to the parents instincts, even when it doesn't "seem" to fit with the physician's medical thinking. Why? Because more often than not, the parents end up being RIGHT. They train all of their residents in this way of thinking also.

8. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Well the dr that saw him the other night was, I am guessing, the er doctor. She made an appointment though, maybe an after hours clinic at Kaiser. He is the one that kind of laughed at her and said those meters are inaccurate. Maybe they should keep them there and they would be able to make a dx earlier.

9. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I really can't write what I am thinking...GRRR!

the clinic out of town was misinformed too, told us..we needed to make an apt it was a long process to diagnosed...I didn't buy it, took her somewhere else, to get Dx by an """"inaccurate""""" meter! with BG in the 600s!
    Lets just say the nurse from the first clinic got a call from her supervisor to correct her procedure....wouldn't want a repeat of that...DKA is at stake!

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

:eek: This doctor is either an idiot or very misinformed. I was diagnosed with a meter as well and then it was confirmed with an OGTT. I hope your friend finds another doctor.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I so agree with you. Parents know best. I feel that many times parents sense something is not right even before it shows up in some medical test.

12. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Fuuny, that (meter) is what they used at the Doctors office to dx Manning.

This doc is obviously and 'educated idiot'.