- advertisement -

Yoga -- more exercise than I thought!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Matt experiences a lot of post-exercise lows. The harder he exercises, the lower he goes. They are the types of lows that persist hour after hour.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about this is that YOGA tends to cause lows as much as more "active" exercise. He was going low a lot over the past few weeks, and I assumed that he was still playing basketball in gym. Nope -- yoga.

His blood sugar actually stayed lower following 45 minutes of yoga than it did following a day of skiing.

2. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I'm feeling rather vindicated at the moment, because no one believes me when I say that yoga lowers my bg drastically too! Knowing that someone else is experiencing this makes me feel a bit better.

Yoga likes to drop me 100 mg/dl whenever it feels like it, so I always have to eat/snack before and after. Although, more recently, I've figured out a basal adjustment that works for me so I don't have to eat like a mad woman.

It's funny how something like yoga can affect blood sugars that drastically!

3. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I posted a thread about weight loss and diabetes a year or so ago, seeking to string together what we have learned about the body from diabetes and apply it to weight loss.

I now see why some people claim great weight loss and overall health benefits from yoga. Despite not being very "active," it definitely gets Matt's carb-burning engine roaring. I would assume it would be doing that whether he had diabetes or not.

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I have had the same experience with yoga. I have a lot of problems going low with yoga -- specifically Vinyassa yoga with all of those power moves and balancing postures. Strength training doesn't do this to me but yoga does. I have a much better time with Yen Yoga, it stretches connective tissues rather than muscles and there are no balancing postures in my classes! I use Yen Yoga to recover from long runs. Could not believe how many lows I have had with just yoga!

5. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello rutgers1

There are many flavors of Hatha-Yoga, the physical practices and aspects. The modern fads; weekend teaching certifications, practices using questionable high heat, rapid movements, etc. are entirely debatable issues.

But yoga practiced remotely intelligently will have a definite effect on bg. Yoga has gotten a ridiculous rap as being "passive", and blissful much in the same vein which Tai Chi (aka Tai Chi Chuan, or Neijia) often is grouped. A severe mis-perception.

Even the "corpse pose" seemingly laying on ones back palms facing the ceiling is obscenely dynamic. If one is "blissfully relaxed" in such postures, something is badly mistaken. Consciously being aware of contracted muscles, and releasing them takes insane and active effort.

Yoga is not about the "bliss", its about awareness, active conscious use of some very small, and sometimes deep muscles. Getting there, holding postures uses a lot of energy.

Are there specific postures which CAUSE more severe drops, I wonder? Some asana (postures) require a huge amount of power to maintain, shoulder and head stands come to mind? In them, structurally set-up perfectly correctly, fighting gravity extended that way requires more effort than say a maintaining a sitting "lotus" position.

Downward dog or mountain postures are pretty difficult for most. Will they cause less drop if maintained versus a seemingly less dynamic posture(s)? :eek:? Any pattern to the postures practiced when you get the "worst" drops?

6. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

As someone who also deals with this, I started noting the the ones that involved more of the leg muscles made me drop more than those that were just light stretching and arm movement.

Just something interesting in my experience. Not sure about OP.