- advertisement -

Yesterday...my highest HI =(

Discussion in 'Teens' started by malyssa, Sep 11, 2008.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I had my highest high sincediagnosis yesterday afternoon, in school. My one meter read HI, which means over 500, so I checked with one that reads up to 600, and I was 529. I was so scared. I didnt have ketones at first, but eventually I ended up with moderate ketones...they went away completely within about 4 hours. I was running high all morning in school though, but I didnt want to miss class, so I waited until my lunch to go to the nurse. Thats when I got the HI reading. She thought it only meant I was over 400, but when I told her it meant over 500, I thought she was going to have a heart attack. She kept asking me if I was ok, and she said that I wasn't acting myself. I couldn't concentrate for anything...you guys should have seeen me changing my pump site. I was forgetting things because I kept getting distracted, and it took me what felt like forever to complete. And talk about thirsty...I havent been that thirsty in a VERY long time. I drank more water than I can even tell you, mostly because I forget, but it was a lot!

There was no good reason for being that high, until I went to the pediatrician. I have bronchitis, and she said I sounded horrible. My throat is killing me today, and it hurts to breathe. She put me on an inhaler, and some kind of antibiotic. I have to go back there today so she can listen to me. Hopefully I won't have to go get x-rays, and I hope even MORE that it doesnt turn into pnemonia.

Sorry, but I needed to vent..I'm just not having a good day, yesterday or today. :(

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Malyssa, I'm sorry you're feeling so badly..... I hope you're on the road to recovery very quickly!!! Big {{{hugs}}} from a mom!!! :cwds::cwds::cwds::cwds:

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

AWww I'm sorry you had such a rough day!! Sending (((hugs))) your way!!
    ~~Emily

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks! I stayed home today, and my pediatrician wants me home tomorrow too, and I am out of gym for the next week. I just got home from the pediatrician, and I still sound bad. So now I'm on a nebulizer. My blood sugar has been much better though. Not perfect, but not HI. I woke up at 90, and I just tested at 194 for lunch.
    Thanks so much!

5. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks. :)

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

aww Malyssa, that really sucks:(, I hope that you get better soon and that your sugars aren't too high for too long. Being sick is no fun and being sick plus having diabetes is HORROR! I really hope that you feel well soon!!!

7. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Malyssa, I hope you get well soon. sick+diabetes=horrid
    warning: if they decide you need steriods expect to see insulin needs double or triple
    I'll be praying for you.

8. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

They put me on Albuterol (sp?) today. I hope it doesn't make my blood sugars stay high. :( They have been ok today. My highest was a 194, my lowest, a 90. Not too bad for being sick. The pediatrician said that I was really close to pnemonia, and that it could still turn into it, but hopefully it won't.
    I'm just really mad about missing school already, ya know. I missed today, and I'm not allowed to go tomorrow either. Two days missed after tomorrow, and I've only been in school a week and a half. :(:mad: Sorry...I'm just very mad/upset about it, because I hate missing school.

9. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks Kiersten. :)

10. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks Rae.
    Is albuterol a steroid? :confused:
    Thanks! :)

11. s0ccerfreak

you might see a bit of an increase with albuterol (i dont but some do) Sorry I wasnt specific before, its oral steroids that will send you sky high. I usually end up on them atleast once. I'ld be happy to stay home from school- i've had pnemonia twice and was back to school the next day (went to doc after school) as long as there is no wheezing doc says to school you go lol

12. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I had bad wheezing, so I guess thats why she doesn't want me back...that and the fact that the inhaler, and the breathing test they gave me in the office made me feel like I was going to pass out. It made me really dizzy. Ah, I guess it's better to rest than to make myself crazy tomorrow. Plus, I'm probably going to work all weekend. :rolleyes:

13. someone

someone Approved members

I had my first HI since diagnosis a few weeks ago when my pump was disconnected... oops. I felt like crap.

14. sar

sar Approved members

aaaw, i'm sorry. i hate highs. hopefully, you'll be feeling better soon.

(this is off-topic, but it's september 11 and it's 9:11 pm.)

15. someone

someone Approved members

Not in my timezone. :p

16. s0ccerfreak

ya they'll make you feel like that! the breathing treatments make me feel shaky (mimcs a low). I like to say I'm fine and go to school anyways...idk why, i hate school. i went back to school the day after surgery. Stay home and rest, you'll prolly recover quicker and no going to work! ask you doc to write you a note if you need it.

17. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I am working all weekend...as predicted. :rolleyes:
    12-3 today, and 12-8 tomorrow! :eek: How am I going to get better if I can't rest!?!?!? :eek: