- advertisement -

Yearly blood tests, anyone else scared to take thier kid?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mjtjmcouch, May 5, 2009.

1. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

I have been putting off getting DS's yearly blood tests done. Mostly because I know he is going to freak out. He is so bad about getting shots at the doctors, not at home when he can do them himself. I know I need to just do it. He's two months overdo. :eek::(

2. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Jennifer,
    Call your endo or pedi and get a script for some emla cream. Alli used to scream and cry when it was time for blood draws. Now that we have the cream it is a non-event. She had to have an iv put in for an endoscopy, no problem there either. If you get the script put a gob of the cream on both arms on the inside of the elbows. Do this before you leave. Put a piece of IV 3000 over it and you re good to go.

good luck!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, I agree. A blob on Emla on each inner arm can really make blood draws a no big deal event. :cwds:

4. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Reese has to do these blood draws monthly for his other disease, so yes, EMLA cream, hold it on with a square of press-and-seal wrap for about 40 minutes before the draw, and even my 6 year old does not cry.

5. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

The EMLA is a MUST! But also, have you ever gotten a play Doctor's kit and let him play Doctor with you or his stuffed animals or action figures? Letting him give you pretend blood tests, shots, exams can sometimes help prepare for the real thing. Also, I suggest not telling him more than a day or two in advance - but definitely giving him SOME warning so he can process the whole event. And give him something to look forward to afterwards - a new little toy or a shopping trip to the dollar store. It doesn't have to be big.

Good luck!

Corinne
    www.diabetesmother.blogspot.com

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

We still have to use the cream for Kaleb and he is 17. He has ALWAYS hated needles worse than anyone I have ever seen.

7. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

BLESS YOU for posting this!!

I have put off our yearly blood work for three weeks! My son freaked out Saturday morning when I told him we had to go.

I felt so bad for him I let him off the hook...we are suppose to go tomorrow morning.

SO can his pediatrian prescribe this cream or only the ENDO. I have NEVER heard of this!

THANK YOU THANK YOU everyone!

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Good luck! You've been given good advice.
    Just grab the Emla and get the blood work over with.;)

9. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Either one can prescribe it.

10. alex's mom

alex's mom Approved members

My son has his endo appt next Monday to include his yearly blood work.
    Our track record with this is not too good so I have learned from past mistakes.

He was dx in March 2007 so until then, he had only ever had regular vaccinnes which were never a problem. So right away in the hospital they want to get the blood work drawn and start him on an IV. Long story short, he fainted when they tried to do his blood work and came close to it again when they did the IV.

Last yr for his routine blood work, he passed out again....:p

So needless to say, he knows we are going to the endo on Monday but I am not telling him about the blood work until we are actually in the office.

His anxiety about the whole process is just too much. So I don't want to give him extra time to sit around and worry about it.

You would think that our kids would be used to needles!!!! :rolleyes:

11. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

We use EMLA too. It works great! I also bribe my kids with a treat. They both love to get the really big balloons. They want to get their blood work done so they can have the treat. Silly girls!

12. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Alexander was incredibly anxious about his (first) annual blood draw as well. I think his anxiety came from the hospital at diagnosis - he was horribly dehydrated and trying to get blood or an IV was a nightmare.

We didnt' use EMLA but we did request a butterfly needle for the blood draw, you can also request someone who does a lot of pediatric blood draws - depending on if you use a lab, or hospital, or doctors' office, etc.

Good luck. You are NOT alone with this one!