- advertisement -

Wwyd? Would you travel w/o diabetic toddler?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysmom, Oct 4, 2010.

?

Would you go?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2010.
  1. No, I would not leave a diabetic 3 year old for so long.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No, It is too much responsibility for a teen and pre-teen.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Yes, I would go.

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

This is the situation:

My husband and I own our own business. There is a national convention that atleast my husband needs to attend because many potential customers are going. I would be gone 5 days and 5 nights.

I am in Indiana. The convention is in Portland, Oregon.

I'd like to know what you would do?

My daughter is just 3. She is pumping but obviously doesn't care for herself. She is not even potty trained yet. Our Endo practice does not do CGM in children but we are working on that. She will not have a CGM before I leave. My mother will stay with my children and I have trained her and she has cared for Abby for 3 days and 2 nights before but when I was only a few hours away by car. She can count carbs and understands the theory of diabetes managment but takes forever to work her way though the pump menu.

Everytime I leave Abby it is really her sisters (16) and (10) who care for her. They are perfectly capable. They can do a site change, load insulin, bolus, correct, and change basal if I instuct them too. I would have to teach them to download and email/fax the numbers so I can make adjustments. If Abby were to get sick or something I could not get back until the next day (12 hour trip). Her sisters will not wake at night but my mother will. If fact she does not sleep when she is with Abby. I can get my sister to spell my mother some. She has no experience but did take the hospital class and has a medical background.

Abby has never had a seisure but does have 2 good lows a week (30's) lately. She is hypo unawares. She requires basal adjustments atleast once a week, often more.

At the convention I would get to check out new product lines, keep up business relationships, learn stuff, help my husband who is ultra-technical interperate what people mean in conversation.

I really would like to go. It is an exciting time for us this yea as our business is growing and this is the first year we can compete on a national level.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Short answer ... I think you have better back-up than most and if she's having lows in the 30's then I'd consider running her a smidge higher for those days that she's with your mom just to minimize the risk.:cwds:

3. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

I will give you my perfectly honest answer: I would not go. Not that it is wrong to go - we each have different tolerances for what we are comfortable doing. But I would just be too worried to leave my 3 year old for that long. Her sibs may be VERY competent but it is a BIG responsibility for them and god forbid that anything should go wrong, there would be difficult ramifications for them. And as for leaving her with your mother, again, it is a big responsibility and an exhausting one with night time checks as well as all day monitoring.

In my career there have been MANY things I have given up doing with the thought that there will be time in the future for me to do them when my son is older. I feel better giving certain things up in the present in order to be with my son and know that he is OK - or if he is not, that I am there to take care of things.

I hope you find a way to make a choice that feels right for you.

4. chammond

chammond Approved members

I think you should go. Logan was dx'd at 7 months, and at 11 months we started leaving him for the weekend with my parents. As of now we have not left him for more than 3 days (because they are not 100% comfortable with site changes, but could do them if needed), but are hoping to take a week vacation next summer and he will be 3 then. If you have people who are capable and willing, that will allow the opportunity, I would take it. Having a toddler with D makes it difficult to arrange these types of trips, and I would jump all over it!:D Also, while we leave logan if we are having difficulty with lows we will let him run a little higher as Sarah suggested. Obviously not dangerously high, but enough to where those lows are less likely. Good luck with your decision.

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Would it be possible to bring the kids? Or just the little one and your mom? They could stay at the hotel while you are at the convention & you would be nearby to handle anything that comes up?

kim

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Two more thoughts ...

I'd sign mom up on CWD so that if she needed to talk or needed help with anything she'd have us, and

I'd call my endo and explain the situation and see if you could get a cell # for your endo for your mom to use in an emergency.

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Sarah has some great advice!!
    I say go, sounds like you have wonderful help there!!

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I would either go and leave them at home as you describe (mom can call you with any problems and you can call them a few times a day to check in)

Or I'd take mom and dd with me and leave the other two at home to go to school (with some other adult for supervision).

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Forgive me but I did not read the responces.

Can you take you mother with you and your D child?

D kiddo and grammy can spend time at the hotel and local parks and activitteis and ba close at hand day and night?

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I voted no ... just sayin'.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think you should do what feels right to you. Your husband is going, right? So, one person in your business can come back with a report.
    On the the other hand, you have many hands to help out, a very willing mom who will stay awake during the night.
    Personally, i think it's doable, but you have to figure out how far to push your comfort level and whether your child will be comfortable being taken care of by others.

Good luck with your decision.:cwds:

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think between your two daughters and grandma you are in a better boat than most.

In regards to lows, I would consult your endo prior, explain situation and maybe do some adjustments to avoid those usual lows that occur. Run her a bit higher during those times...that's the beauty of the pump, change the basal in the blink of an eye!

We have a notebook for my mom, it covers many things in quick bullet points.

Do you have any d connections in your area? We have a few in the area and we give out our phone numbers to each other for emergencies.

But, in the end, you have to do what you are most comfortable with.

13. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

I'd go. Sounds like a great networking opportunity. It might be a very uneventful couple of days (D-wise) and then you will regret not going! As long as you prepare your family to take care of your daughter (which is sounds like they are more than capable) and can stay in contact 24/7 while you are away, def go!

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Understand, this is coming from someone who has not in two years spent the night away from her diabetic kid.
    Shoot, I doubt I've spent more than six hours away from her when she was in the care of my husband! :eek:
    I don't know if I'd go or not, and my initial reaction to the question was h no.
    But then I read your whole post.
    What convinces me is the 16 year old. Sixteen year olds are old enough to have their own kids. :eek: If she is competent, attentive, and willing, and has the backup of your mom and you on the phone, I think you can do this safely. I think it is a good and responsible thing to do. If there is a hospital visit or illness, if it gets serious, the doctors will be making the medical calls. What your daughter would need from you is to know someone who loves her is there watching out. She's got that with her family. I think it's fabulous that she has such a family around her, diabetes or not, trip or not.
    Hope you go if you decide it's best, and have a great time.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

This is what I would do.

16. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

i would go. are there any teens or other cwd parents in your town? they could always be a great back up resource as well. just as we say that our kids should always be kids first, i think with the help of your daughters, mom, the endo, CWD parents, and maybe if you can find a teen or young adult in town through JDRF to help as well you'd be all set. I said I would never leave katie and was a wreck the first time I did it, but as long as thing are safe diabetes can't stop our lives. I also agree with Sarah, run her bgs just a bit high not to worry about lows like 30's while you are gone.
    Hannah

17. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I would go.

You have to children able to help, and a mom on board who is already experienced with overnights. Go for it!

And I agree with Hannah, you/we can't let this disease stop our lives. It sounds like you have an excellent support system in place, with experience. Live your life! I'm sure they'll all have a great time with grandma. :)

18. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I would go. I don't have that much experience with having a toddler with D, but it seems that you are comfortable with the level of care your teen is able to give and with a grandparent there you have all bases covered. I definitely have experience in this regard and totally get that. My daughter has watched my son for me countless times.... now that she's older I am even comfortable leaving them alone to take short trips. She does everything but change basal/bolus rates for my son. Go do what you have to do....you know you will be calling often :D

19. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

What does grandma say? Can you be reached at all times?

If Grandma is comfortable, then go.