- advertisement -

wrestling

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaMc, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

Does anyone here have a CWD that wrestles? My DS says he wants to wrestle next year. Not sure how he would do it with pump site and a Dexi site. Would you have to go to MDI for the season?

2. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

My DS is wrestling this year. We use the Omnipod. For practices we leave it on through the warm-ups, taking it off just before he starts to actually wrestle. We run a +50% temp basal for an hour before practice starts. He is without the pod for about 1.5 hours. For meets (he had his first yesterday) we did the same, taking it off just before wrestling. He was without it for over 2.5 hours, I did give him a small shot with a syringe during the time between matches.

All of this is trial and error. Sometimes the practice routine works well, sometimes not. It seems to never have the same pattern, one time he will be high after practice, sometimes low. Either way he ALWAYS goes low 3-4 hours later and is difficult to keep up. Definitely cannot correct the exercise high. T

The meet didn't go well at all, he was stable all through the meet but later that night he shot into the upper 300's (no ketones) and it took work to get him down.

Never the less we will keep trying... He loves wrestling.

3. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Brian wrestled half a season this year. Turned out not to be his sport - he loved the conditioning and wrestling with his friends, but was seriously uncomfortable with wrestling with boys he didn't know.

That being said...

The pump site was never a problem. He had to stop wearing the sensor after landing on it a few times and getting huge bruises. This happens during football, too, and we just took a break from it without any worry.

for practices, he unhooked and sipped a vitamin water throughout practice, with BG checks hourly. After practice, we bolused for his meal at 75% and he went to bed with a 2-hour temp basal of 50%.

for matches, we injected him with Humalin, a 5-hour background insulin. It works beautifully for maintaining some basal without worrying about the pump. For us, the dose was equal to 60% of his basal rate for that 5-hour period.

Good luck!

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler wrestled when he was pumping with the Minimed and using the CGM. He would disconnect, but leave his sites on (he only used his bootie - never lost a site or sensor due to wrestling). For practices we would bolus for any missed insulin when he reconnected. During meets (which are LONG) he would reconnect after his match, test, bolus(if needed) and stay connected until his next match. Meets were a bit tough - but doable. Using lantus during wrestling season maybe an option for your child. Tyler received 100% of his basal from lantus during football season to prevent those highs after practice from being disconnected so long and it worked out well.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

What about doing MDI only for days of matches? As in, going without a site for a day or two? I know practically nothing about wrestling....or about going back and forth between MDI and pumping, but thought I'd throw it out there. Or doing MDI for a few months is also certainly an option.

You'll find a way to make it work. It would be a shame to not let him wrestle because of D.

6. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Trevor wrestled for the last 2 years and we never had a problem with his site. We just disconnected for practices and tournaments. I checked him during practice, when they would take a few min. drink break, and for tournaments, I would just check him before he went out, and a little bit after he as done. I would connect the pump and dose if he was a little high, give him crackers if I thought he was a little too low. All in all, we got through both seasons with pretty decent numbers and no incidents. Good Luck :)

7. MichS

MichS Approved members

My son wrestles as well. We just disconnect for practices and matches. WE try to put a site on his bum for these days, but even the tummy sites have been fine!