- advertisement -

Wow, watching Dr. Oz

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I haven't seen it before but I saw the teaser and wanted to see how they are handling diabetes.

Not once have they said which type but I'm pretty certain they are basically addressing Type 2

They are dealing with a guy who weighs a whole lot. They said he was the highest BG reading the day they ran the clinic. They did an instant A1C test and it was over 12%

Can type 2 diabetics have A1Cs that high?

They are still talking about "diabetes" without specifying and he just said he's gonna put them on a 12-week plan to get rid of it. I know that many obese people that have "obesity-induced Type 2 diabetes" can basically be "non-diabetic" by changing their eating and losing weight but I sure wish they would differentiate the types.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh I know that aggravates me to know end! Then they say real dumb things like " We're gonna make it so your diabetes goes away!" As if our kids could be so lucky. Ive heard of people with type 2 having high A1Cs probably not doing anything about their d and having high BGs all the time. Is this the episode where he tests a womans BGs and the audience looks shocked and sighs loudly and the woman looks like shes gonna pass out for pete sake!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Does that air today? Do you know the time and network?

Wish we could have a 12 week plan to get rid of D. Wouldn't that be awesome?

4. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Honestly this is why I don't watch these kinds of "talk shows" anymore....

5. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I don't think it's that uncommon. You have to remember that many people have Type 2 for a long time before they realize it. I know several people that were dx'd (type 2) because they went to the dr regarding complications (sores, frequent infections, eye problems) from the diabetes that they didn't even know they had.

6. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I became a fan of his Facebook page and posted a comment on his Discussion Board. I hope someone in his camp sees it.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I backed you up. I also made a typo.:D

8. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

The show is on here right now. And yes I do believe they are talking Type 2. What frustrates me is that I get questions all of the time about when our daughter will be cured and what is she eating that is causing this. NOTHING. It happened and she will be like this for the rest of her life. There just in so much mis-information out there that even if I explain that this is what it is - it doesn't matter. People are just not listening to me about it.

9. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I am watching it right now.

I feel awful for the guy with the 12.8% A1C. I did not like at all how they handled his number....for the 'shock' factor they terrified him on national television, and then sent him off to the ER.

That bugged me to no end. The poor guy looked so scared about it.:(

10. Nancy in VA

Yeah, that guy said he drank 3-4 gallons of water a day, and he had just decided that being dizzy was normal.

That's why I asked the question. Is there a chance that guy could actually be Type 1?

11. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

What network? I must not get it.

12. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

My A1c at diagnosis was 13 and I am a type 2. It was that high because I had no idea I had diabetes until I caught the sugary urine smell. It can be like high blood pressure and be asymptomatic.

--Sara

13. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

It is because of episodes like this that so many people are misinformed about T1D.

14. Nancy in VA

So if its not extremely high BGs from complete lack of insulin, is the only way to tell the difference between t1 and t2 is a cPeptide test? Were you given one to say for sure it was t2?

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

type 2's can certainly get A1c's that high. I've seen a 13.

16. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm wondering that as well. My grandfather was dx'd w/ type 2 several years ago. We checked his blood sugar on Christmas eve and it was 520. He did not have any ketones, though. I'm sure he had a very high A1C.

He was on oral meds for a while, then moved to lantus and oral meds, but his A1C is still way too high.

With our family history (my mom, son and I are all T1), I'm wondering if it could be LADA for my 82 year old grandfather. Who the heck knows......

He also fits the typical profile for a type 2, very overweight, very inactive, etc. I used to try and give advice, but I quit -- he's 82 for goodness sakes, he's not going to change his diet at this point!

17. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I have wrote him three letters about this. I continue to tell him he is doing a huge disservice to Type 1's and that everytime he airs something about diabetes and one of my family or friends see it I have to answer so many questions.

I am starting to really get pissed. I stopped watching him.

18. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I happened upon the show just as Dr. Oz was doing a finger prick. He had to get a lot of blood, then he had to shake it (?), then he said the number should be 6 and it came back a 12. That isn't the number we like to see on the One Touch! What was he doing?

19. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm not a fan of Dr Oz, I think he's cheesey. He's a supposed cardiologist, he has no right to be discussing specifics of things he doesn't know that much about!!

20. Ali

Ali Approved members

Not a fan of Dr. Oz either. His show the few times I have watched is poor. I do not think most thoughtful medical shows make good daily TV shows, like most of the other complex stuff of life.:cwds:ali